Gear Foot Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear Foot Oil

Hello racers: need advice on gear oil. What is your favorite? What is the best to use? Heavy gear oil, power steering fluid, ATF, I have heard of several options. Need gear oil for J motors and a 302. Thank you for any help, time for some shopping.

I use 75w-90 synthetic Royal Purple in the yamato and the Mercury 25, just look after it and if milky change the seals.
    "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
    No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

AMSOIL

Comment

I use the Mercury High Performance gear oil. I am running the same set of gears that came from the factory in '87. Does that make it the perfect oil? Not necessarily, but I change it often and get the gears reset fairly often. Other good oils will work well, but they are not a substitute for maintenance.

Comment

• PROPDOC
          PROPDOC commented
          Editing a comment
          Plus it is easily found at most retailers (box stores) unlike other more exotic oils. Make sure you get the Mercury ( Quicksilver) High performance gear oil, one added bonus is that it can mix with water and still retain it's lubricity which will save your gears if you have a leaky seal and don't find it right away.

Valvoline 75w Synthetic.. Inexpensive and easy to find at most auto parts stores.
        Maroney Racing

Comment

I only used ordinary automatic transmission fluid (ATF) in our Merc J gearcases to win Nationals, high points and set a record. When you don't have much power use more of it to push the boat and less to pump heavier oil around in the gearcase. But ATF does not have rust inhibitors that marine oils do so it was changed every weekend. I used Schaeffer oil because it worked well and the local distributor liked racing and gave us as much of it and their engine oil as we needed.
          Last edited by Team B&H; 01-25-2016, 07:00 AM. Reason: spelling Schaeffer oil

Comment

Working...
          X