Your opinions wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your opinions wanted

Still scouring the net and reading, but would like to hear from anyone who's built a hydro. I've found Sorenson, Fralick, B&H, MRC and some talk of others offering plans or kits.

I would appreciate anyone willing to give me their opinion on the particular boat they built, what they think of the plans/kit, what they liked about it, what they didn't like, how well did the boat work for you when done, etc.

So as to avoid any conflicts on the forums, I'd just ask that you post it in a private message, please.

Thanks!
    Dane Lance
    700-P
    CSH/500Mod

Go buy a Runne Hydro or a Runabout !

Comment

• ZUL8TR
      ZUL8TR commented
      Editing a comment
      Maybe he like to build it? But certainly easier to buy one.

We had a good time building a Sorenson from a frame kit . Easy to build and worked great - If you can find a Oconner you will be very happy - Bob Jr is building new boats . 207-437-0899

Comment

If you haven't already guessed it kind of depends on where you live what is the best boat. Some truly are better than others, but in the hands of the right driver or someone who understands setups an also ran can become a front runner. Of course there are exceptions. Every so often someone will inquire about building an old Hal Kelly plan to get started in racing. Those boats might be fun to play with but on the race course it would be like a Model T against a Ferrari. I have my preferences too, but there is no magic boat that will make winning races a slam dunk.

Comment

Anyone have any opinions on the Sorensen boats?
        Dane Lance
        700-P
        CSH/500Mod

Comment

• Fastjack
          Fastjack commented
          Editing a comment
          look at my previous post ??

• Ram4x4
          Ram4x4 commented
          Editing a comment
          How long did it take you to build it? If you could only work on it on weekends, how long do you think it takes to complete?

• dwhitford
          dwhitford commented
          Editing a comment
          John Runne once commented to me that it takes him 100+ hours to complete a CSH . . . maybe he said 130, I don't really recall now.

My 1st boat build was a Foo-Ling (Hal Kelly design) runabout from a Sorensen frame kit. Working only a few hours a day (max of 5), I started in early April and had it on the water in late July.

My old pal, Riggs Smith, told me, ''I can build a 36 or D Runabout in a week of evenings. Then it takes me 2 more weeks to re-finish it.'' Riggs always said ''re-finish'', even when he meant applying the initial paint and varnish. Note that Riggs worked like a whirlwind and accomplished what 3 ordinary mortals could do in an equivalent amount of time.

So your build time can depend on your experience, attention to detail, and how efficiently you work.

Ram 4x4 - Darrel has built many boats over the years for so many guys and gals. His boats also hold many many records. He has built 20 hydro, CSH/CSR, FEH/DMH/DMR/FER, 1100R and 350cch. He does not build the mod or Pros any longer. Thought this might help you a bit. Dont want to take away from any of the boat builders as all of them are TOP NOTCH and are very good as well!!!!!!

Comment

Ram 4x4, et al: Have you found a set of plans to build from? I'm looking for a set of simple plan to build a basic boat with the kids. Suggestions appreciated via forum or off-line at pettipaugct@gmail.com. Thank you.

Comment

• dwhitford
            dwhitford commented
            Editing a comment
            Check the Glen-L Marine & Clark Craft websites. Also, several of the Hal Kelly designs from the 1950s are on the Boat Sport website, not full-size plans, but accurate small drawings from which you can scale up to full-size patterns.

You'll be better off competitively with plans from more contemporary builders . . . IF you can get 'em: Scott Reed, Sam Hemp (B&H), and others. I've heard that Scott's plans are mostly in his head and possibly evolve from boat-to-boat, as technology should evolve, to stay ahead of the ''curve''.
            Last edited by dwhitford; 12-02-2016, 06:04 PM.

No, haven't decided on any in particular for sure. I do still want to build a C hydro. Since my original post I've looked at as much as I can find on the net. Seems some of the kits/parts from some of the builders are no longer available, but plans might be.

​Right now though, I'm a full time college student (on line), time is an issue. Not in hurry to do this, so at some point, I'll probably buy some plans and build one, just don't know when.
          Dane Lance
          700-P
          CSH/500Mod

Comment

The owner of this site can also help you. He has built many boats and during the last winter post pictures of his builds.

Comment

Yes Blueskyracer, he also sells plans or at least did.

Comment

• Ram4x4
                Ram4x4 commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, that's the MJR plans. I've driven Dave Deck's and I really like how it drives/rides. It does really well in rough water (which seems to always be the case in region 6). It's definitely one on my list to consider.

Dane,

Build a D !!!

Sincerely,

Doug

Comment

Hehehe, yeah Doug, I'd love a D boat, but that's a whole step up in cost factor for a class that's barely there in our region. It's definitely on my list, but sometime further down the road (kinda want to see how DSH is doing in a couple years and then I'll make a serious decision on that). Right now my 'to do' list consists of three things:

​1. I have a marathon boat that needs a little work. Dunno that I'll go all hog crazy over marathon, but gonna try it. The only thing that gets me with driving my hydro is just about time the adrenaline really kicks in and the fun meter pegs, the race is over.
                2. Get a sealed 321 for 300SSH
                ​3. Build a C hydro.

​Maybe you need to get a new D boat and a Tohatsu and sell me your D ;-P

Dane Lance
                700-P
                CSH/500Mod

Comment

Building a boat is a long process. It's not hard but takes alot of time .i have built a couple and would highly recommend buying a precut kit rather then plan's for your first . One thing i also have to say is in the long run time and money your better of buying a previously enjoyed boat building a kit in reality will cost you more then buying a boat .building is more satisfying but not a cost saver .

Comment

Working...
                  X