Stock Hydro Horsepower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stock Hydro Horsepower

Thinking of getting started with a stock hydro. I weigh 160 lbs without any gear and might take a few years to get the hang of racing. But for now maybe I could practice on my own with a stock hydro to have fun and learn. I know Mercury makes a small decent engine for hydros...what horsepower outboard would work well on a hydro to go around 50mph?? Any particular setup mods (non-performance) need to be done to use it on a hydro?

Aaron

Do you have a hydro already? Stocks in general like Merc & OMC are stock for the most part except for the gear case & prop. At 160 you are a good weight for several classes. Going out on your own is fun & you want to be familiar with driving beyond that I'd say to learn to race is best achieved racing. If you post what you have more advise can be offered. If you're looking for equipment check out the buy sell section. If you post where you are, there might be a club in the area. Good Luck.
    Team Tower

Comment

Regardless of how "hard" you push yourself "practicing"...the first race will prove to you, you were no where near the intensity you'll need to race. Been there, done that, and learned quickly. That's not to say seat time is wasted, it's not, the more you drive the more comfortable you'll be with your boat and your own skills. Just saying, you gotta be chasing someone, or being chased by someone to realize what's needed.

Comment

• krazy karl
        krazy karl commented
        Editing a comment
        You hit the nail on the head.
        kk

• ZUL8TR
        ZUL8TR commented
        Editing a comment
        Agree on the first race being different than all your self running. My first race heat proved that. Takes time and nerve to mix with the front runners. After awhile you will not even be aware of the speed just where you are and how to get ahead of the boat in front of you. But practice and testing to get the feel of the boat and setup changes helps. DO NOT run by your self have a pick up boat available and wear safety gear no excuses here.

Aaron, If you already have a hydroplane, you would want to find the right motor to fit the boat. If you are starting out from scratch, I would suggest looking for a good used racing outfit. It would make it an easy transition to start racing. You should also concider safety equipment with your new venture. Welcome to the sport. Hope to see you on a race course soon.
      Maroney Racing

Comment

Check out South Shore Outboard Association. They are the biggest racing club in your area (Region 1) They also have a swap shop classified area of their website as well as motor configurations for each class. ASH is a good class in Region 1. Depending on what you want to spend you have several choices. In ASH the OMC is available for $1500-$1800 but has a hard time keeping up with the Sidewinder which about $4800, the Merc 15 is a 3rd option but a little slower than the other 2. The SW is a purpose built racing motor. in the 45+ years of racing my father (70 years old) bought one for this past season and says it was the best purchase he made in his career. You also have the AXH class. This is mostly run with the Mercury 15 which will out perform the OMC (have to run a .650 restrictor plate. Many options here your best bet is to contact SSOA and have a local help you along with your choices, they will even look over your boat to make sure it is race ready, safe, and appropriate for the classes you are looking into. Best of luck!
        444-B now 4-F
        Avatar photo credit - F. Pierce Williams

Comment

Check out the APBA site and familiarize yourself with the different classes..... http://www.apba.org/stock. Your best best, as Howie suggested, is to get ahold of your local racing club and ask questions. Someone will take you under their wing and make sure you find just what you're looking for. Besides racing you'll meet folks that will become some of your best friends. Good luck! You're doing it right - ask questions
          Sean Byrne

Comment

Aarohn, I spoke to you a while ago. (rc boats)..Follow Howies advice and go to the SSOA site. Buy a used rig and try it out before you get heavily involved..I beleive there are at least 2 ASH in and around Conn..for sale. Plenty of help out there. Just like rc..Region one usually runs at least 5 weekends of racing so you wont have to travel far. Good luck.

Comment

Please feel free to contact me I am in Maine and a SSOA member Also have a A hydro and A runabout for sale along with a motor > both boats SSOA region 1 Class champions == Shawn

Comment

Thanks for all the information everyone, that was really helpful. Every time I try to make a local race to check it out my schedule gets busy. I think my best bet is to get a used package to play around with first.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronhl View Post
                  Thanks for all the information everyone, that was really helpful. Every time I try to make a local race to check it out my schedule gets busy. I think my best bet is to get a used package to play around with first.
                  Aaron,

Just make sure to buy a "Legal and Decent" outfit, that you can race later, after you get comfortable with it.

Good Luck and Have Fun.

Best Regards,

Dean Hobart.... Racing Boats Since 1962.
                  sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Working...
                  X