No announcement yet.

DePue late 90s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gary and I had similar luck. I wrecked twice and then won the final heat. I I actually posted a new version of the video. In the new video I slow motioned when he stood it up in that turn. It might have scared him a little bit. It seemed like he kinda gave up a little the next heat.I'll tell you who the luck was with. Even though he will never admit it.Bill Rucker did not have the fasted boat there.Although he did drive his ass off. Well as the story go'es he who finishes, best Wins. As far as Jesse, I think he just forgot to bring his luck with him. He had everything else to win. Maybe Bill could have loaned him some.

Comment

• Bob Rusnak
      Bob Rusnak commented
      Editing a comment
      After the first heat when Gary stood it up, Don came in and was a little 'shook up" as this was the first time he met Gary. Yes the second heat was better but again stood it up in that turn. That first turn at Depue was always tough. By the way Gary's Konig was a VE, I don't know where I go FE from.

Gary was very fast as you mention Bob. If Im not mistaken I thought he did alot of Howards motor work as well. Jesse was very very fast just starts was not his cup of tea. I remember him and I talking the last year he was there as we all pitted together. He told me let's walk to the judges stand with my stop watch. We timmed many classes that day for him. Tim you rode at Lodi Lake for someone who also used to stand the boat up on the pipes at Oroville lol. You might not have rode had you known lol

Comment

Actually Bob the reason I was filming Gary so much is RJ was trying to get me to ride with him. So I wanted to see what I missed. That was one ride that I was glad to be filming. LOL

Comment

That comIng from RJ who quit riding since he told me there going to fast lol. I think RJ was smart lol

Comment

I thought that was Hanson's boat, I road deck in 1992 (?) when he (we<shrug>)won Nationals. That was the year Doc Collins got him to jack it up over an inch, we picked up 5-6mph. I remember it quite vividly, the speedo was almost on the floor and I had to get my head down by my knee's at 92mph to read it.

Comment

• 1100-one
            1100-one commented
            Editing a comment
            Gary was always fast as I remember. But equally as fast was Howard. Most all the guys ran either 3/4 below or inch 1/4 below and a few 5/8below.But what impressed me was,Thirlby running a 3 blade round ear all the years back there. Eddie and Mike in the same boat where very good.
            Last edited by 1100-one; 02-14-2016, 05:45 AM.

Yeah. That was Brad Gessler that I rode with at Lodi. I remember there being a couple of 1100s one of them being Kleinfelder And the rest of the boats were FERs. On the last lap as we were getting ready to lap everyone. I was going to tap him on his back to tell him he could slow down.The next thing I knew we were floating.On my way out of the boat I must have hit my foot on something. It hurt so bad I had to race my CSH as a lay down. I remember getting out of the rescue boat, and there was RJ who couldn't hold a strait face. I told him never again.I always wondered why he would only ride with Dale Bishop he said it was a safe ride.He said it was hard to get hurt going that fast.And he had never seen anyone get hurt being toed in.

_

Comment

• 1100-one
            1100-one commented
            Editing a comment
            That's why I posted that reply coming from RJ lol. He rode last with me at Lodi and that was it lol. Brad was known to stand his 1100r up at Oroville and had the pipes hit the water bringing him vack down. I rode with him once at Salt Springs and that was fun to ride and not drive yeah right lol

Originally posted by ricochet112 View Post
          I thought that was Hanson's boat, I road deck in 1992 (?) when he (we<shrug>)won Nationals. That was the year Doc Collins got him to jack it up over an inch, we picked up 5-6mph. I remember it quite vividly, the speedo was almost on the floor and I had to get my head down by my knee's at 92mph to read it.
          If I remember right Gary was close to 1.5-2" below when Doc saw it and made him raise the motor.

Comment

• 1100-one
            1100-one commented
            Editing a comment
            That would make a big differance. Miss Doc what a great guy he was to the kids that raced. Still have a couple of props by him

RJ told me one time when he was running J that Doc ask him if he wanted to win the next heat. He said yeah. So Doc handed him a prop,and guess what. Yep that's when he started winning all the time.

Comment

• 1100-one
            1100-one commented
            Editing a comment
            I remember watching RJ run J at Chowchilla. Many years ago lol
        Working...
        X