Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Allow OMC restrictor in AX class to be resized ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allow OMC restrictor in AX class to be resized ?

Just a poll for people racing in the AX classes.

Do you feel that the OMC restrictor used in the AX classes should be re-sized larger to have better parity within that class between the Mercury's and the OMC's ?

1. No leave the restrictor as is.

2. Yes - Allow a larger restrictor opening for parity in the class.
    Tom L.

Why Do That?

We now have four Mercs, at around $2,500-$4,000 each, why would you want a $1,500 OMC to compete with our HIGH DOLLAR MERCS? I think the Sidewinder should be made legal for ASX....

94 "A" drivers in APBA, let them buy new motors, we did!

Comment

We have full fields of J's and AX's around our region. There are two events going on in each class. The race for the win, and the race for first OMC. Not even close. We can pick up OMC's for $1800 - $2200 all day long, tripping over them in the pits. I agree we need new motors, but in my opinion, the parity commity missed.
      Ian Augustine

Comment

I think the comity should have another look at this problem if they want competition in the class.OMC's were restricted to the Merc before they figured out what it took to make them run faster.If you don't need the numbers for boats in the class ok but if you want full fields and a good class after J lets keep them equal.
        Latter Race Team 20SSH/CSH/OSY400 /AXSH
        The eh TEAM
        "We'll burn that bridge when we come to it"

Comment

A few years years ago i would say leave em the same and work on your props and set up but now i'd have to say yes. If the OMC's are legal in the class but are falling way behind maybe a little enlargement of the restrictor plate could fix that problem.

Comment

How about slowing down the Mercs? Also, reset the records for AX as well.

I believe that would support the spirit and intent of the AX class better.

Please remember in this discussion that the AX class is under the J Comittee umbrella and they have their own special ways of doing things.

BW
            Last edited by B Walker; 09-14-2010, 07:33 AM.
            302SSH.....Putting the Stock back in Stock Outboard

Comment

Let the OMCs die. They are already dying a slow death from the Sidewinder in the A class (I just read the Left Coast Sidewinder update from Moses Lake as further evidence). The Merc motor is still in production. It should be the motor for the J and AX.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Hearn View Post
                Let the OMCs die. They are already dying a slow death from the Sidewinder in the A class (I just read the Left Coast Sidewinder update from Moses Lake as further evidence). The Merc motor is still in production. It should be the motor for the J and AX.
                I agree with Richard. The Merc can be purchased new. The OMC has many parts no longer available. Besides do we really want J parents to have to buy a Merc to be competitive in J and them make them switch to OMC for AX? IF we speed up the OMC in AX we may find that is exactly where we end up.

"The Coffee Guy"
                TEAM CAFFEINE
                Cranked up and ready to Roll

Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its troubles. It empties today of its strengths (Corrie ten Boom)

"Cup of Joe? Not no mo! Kevs Coffee is the only way to go!" (John Runne 09)
                " IF you can find a better cup of coffee... Kev will drink it!" (Michael Mackey 08)

Comment

So, sell the 4 motors hanging in our trailer as scrap, then spend $7500 - $8000 for our two J-AX drivers to be competitive? I guess if that's what it is, that's what it is.
                  Ian Augustine

Comment

The OMCs are good fishing engines. I have one on my John boat. You can use the gearcases on the Merc and get the rest of the Merc used off eBay or from Craigslist for $800 each (just about what you can sell the OMC for). I did exactly this for ours and ran pretty well w them this year... If you want to sell them as "scrap", let me know.

Comment

There has to be some sort of middle ground we could find for the OMC's as even 800 dollars seems to be alot of money these days ... If they do work and they are legal why not keep them even? I mean to ask do we need one engine in the class more powerful than the other? For what reason, i don't understand. Is it because there are OMC parts that you plain can't find anymore? Help me out.

Comment

Are we trying to have a two manufacturer, competitive class, or selling Merc's?
                        Ian Augustine

Comment

Cheap vs Expensive

One thing about boat racers, is there is very little middle ground. You have the folks who can and will spend the 10K and over for a couple Novice class rigs to be used a few years. Then you have those that can't and won't and really want race. You need to stop and think about your core racers and market it to them. The rest will follow.

The Merc is not in production any longer, has not been for a few years now. APBA just got lucky and struck a deal to have some overseas company sell them a few for inventory. They are not legal to produce in the U.S.. You can import them though. That is exactly what happened. Check the threads on this a couple years ago for facts.
                          Dave Mason
                          Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Dave, I suggest you checks your facts. The Merc is still in production just not sold in the US as fishing motors.
                            bill b

Comment

...or remove the OMC from the AX class altogether and run it as a J or A engine only.
                              28-R

Comment

Working...
                              X