Merc in Stock A Class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 26V View Post
    The response of 95 or so votes is a major portion of the A class. We have quite a few racers that run both hydro and Runabout. So the total driver list for the A class is not hydros plus runabouts.:bond:

That being said, this poll did what I wanted it to do which was open up some debate on the Merc in the A class.
    The poll wasn't limited to A drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by reed28n View Post
      The poll wasn't limited to A drivers.
      Yeah. It's just 95 people with an opinion. And I agree that it's great to hear everyone's opinion. I was just giving mine too
      "I don't want to just live life, I want to live an extraordinary life." - Kevin Ladd

Comment

After reading a few dozen posts on the subject (had a lot of popcorn to finish before it went stale), I sense several camps that want the Merc in A.

There are the J/AXS racers looking for more seat time.

There are J/AXS racers who would like to move to A without buying another motor.

There are OMC A racers who would like to be able to race for points, but don't have enough OMC to make the class.

There are folks with brand loyalty.

There are folks that would like to do what they dang well please.

And people wanted to discuss national politics on this site? (old school grin face)
        Mike Johnson

World Headquarters
        sigpic
        Portland, Oregon
        Johnson Racing

Comment

AXS riders OMC Racers

We could accomplish everything by having a joint agreement between the J Category and the SORC to allow AXS drivers to step up to the A class.

Mod has a similar rule rule. All drivers would score points for the A class. AXS drivers would not have to register as a super category or as a stock racer if their home category was J with the AXS.

No Step ups at Nationals.

All AXS drivers get more seat time. Weaker regions get National points in the A class and we would encourage sales of new equipment or used OMC's.

Comment

Scott,
            Are you suggesting that there may be more than one solution to this issue? But, if we do that, what will we complain about?
            John Runne
            2-Z

Stock Outboard is all about a level playing field.

True parity is one motor per class.

It's RACING, not just another boat ride!

NOT a representative of Racing Outboards LLC.

Comment

John, I'm sure we can find something. Like if Mr Reeds suggetion were to be passed.

We are most likely done with AX so the Allen's as a family don't really care but why not let them run at the nationals. What is it hurting? If they are fast enough to qualify then so be it.
              "Ask anyone, I have no friends. I do have some people that put up with me and mostly because they like the rest of my family"

Don Allen

Comment

I have (2) Mercury’s in my trailer. I'd like to propose that I be able to run them in CSH. I’m thinking some type of dual outboard configuration. Of course with my weight I may need (3).

Gladkowski Racing 2010 – Less politics, More Fun!

Comment

If that means more boats on the water...bigger heats...more money for the local club...happier racers...more bang for your investments...
                  "Ask anyone, I have no friends. I do have some people that put up with me and mostly because they like the rest of my family"

Don Allen

Comment

Personally, I'd like to restrict my 302 and run that in "A"

We could run "A" ALL DAY!
                    John Runne
                    2-Z

Stock Outboard is all about a level playing field.

True parity is one motor per class.

It's RACING, not just another boat ride!

NOT a representative of Racing Outboards LLC.

Comment

Economies of scale

Originally posted by Big Don View Post
                      If that means more boats on the water...bigger heats...more money for the local club...happier racers...more bang for your investments...
                      I think it would be more beneficial to boat racers and race committes if we had

- Fewer classes

- Same pool of drivers

- Bigger fields

- Race more heats or multiple races in the same day

What about a 3 or 4 heat format? more seat time for everyone fewer drivers need multiple rigs to get on the water!
                      Last edited by reed28n; 11-05-2009, 09:33 AM.

Comment

I think Mr. Reeds suggestion is a very good compromise. Certianly I give him credit for a very creative idea. It allows a 14 year old kid with a Mercury engine to at least give preliminary try ASH ... Obviously when it comes time to win in ASH, it will require an OMC A or a Sidewinder A engine. This simply allows someone with a Mercury engine to ease into ASH without giving up the ability to run AXS (in another Region) or J again. It can also help the A class numbers in our Region as well. We are talking grass roots racing in my area of the country. This topic applies to me. My son will be turning 14 soon (ASH age). We have a Mercury engine that he has raced in JH this year...and we live in Region1.

I think that the people with all of this money to spend on racing seem to forget about the little guy on a limited racing income. [I say "forget about" because I would hate to think that they just don't care]. Some people who are racing in the J class with a Mercury might need to sell their Mercury in order to buy an OMC A engine or Sidewinder. It also honors the promise that was advertised when many of the Mercury J engines were purchased.... that they were the Mercury J/A engines.

This summer we went to the PRO Nationals to visit family there. We brought a rig so my son could just participate. The idea was to gain experience- with no expectations of winning. I think of this as T-Ball for boat racers! Because the rules allowed it, we ran our Mercury and borrowed a bigger boat for K Pro. My son jumped the gun in the 3rd heat with Ashley Rucker but finished 6th overall. We beat half of the OMCs and had fun. I thought this was what outboard racing was all about?
                        This was his first chance to race anything faster than a JH. I sent him out early during the KPro testing. I kept filling the tank after every 4 laps, and continued sending him out until testing was over. I thought it was a success!

Comment

We could accomplish everything by having a joint agreement between the J Category and the SORC to allow AXS drivers to step up to the A class.

Mod has a similar rule rule. All drivers would score points for the A class. AXS drivers would not have to register as a super category or as a stock racer if their home category was J with the AXS.

No Step ups at Nationals.

All AXS drivers get more seat time. Weaker regions get National points in the A class and we would encourage sales of new equipment or used OMC's.
                          OK, contact Steve Hearn and Ernie Dawe and request that it be placed on the "J" Category Agenda.
                          bill b

Comment

I think it would be more beneficial to boat racers and race committes if we had

- Fewer classes

- Same pool of drivers

- Bigger fields

- Race more heats or multiple races in the same day

What about a 3 or 4 heat format? more seat time for everyone fewer drivers need multiple rigs to get on the water!
                            Plus one on this!

A(55 MPH),B(65 MPH),C(75 MPH),D(85MPH), J(35 MPH) Hydro
                            A(55 MPH),B(65 MPH),C(75 MPH),D(85MPH), J(35 MPH) Runabout

This is still 10 Classes to choose from! 4 hour Program should be the goal.
                            Elims, Consi, Final = If Time allows:
                            2 heat Elim, 1 Heat Consi - (No Points), 2 Heat Final.

If you had 3 classes that needed elims you would running 19 Heats of Racing.
                            I'm pretty sure that is less then most events run off in a day now as some have 15 plus classes to run 2 heats on!

Entry wise it would handle between 16-24 boats per class depending on the course.
                            Saying 10 boats per hydro class and 6 boats per runabout class as an average goal, you would be looking at 80 entries.
                            Run in two sets - Hydro and Runabout and be gone by 4:00pm and home by 7:30-10:00pm on Sunday Night!
                            ----
                            Graham18ce
                            Team Canada ThunderCat
                            Facebook - www.facebook.com\fralickracing
                            Twitter @FralickRacing
                            Instagram @FralickRacing

Comment

+1

Originally posted by Graham 18ce View Post
                              Plus one on this!

A(55 MPH),B(65 MPH),C(75 MPH),D(85MPH), J(35 MPH) Hydro
                              A(55 MPH),B(65 MPH),C(75 MPH),D(85MPH), J(35 MPH) Runabout

This is still 10 Classes to choose from! 4 hour Program should be the goal.
                              Elims, Consi, Final = If Time allows:
                              2 heat Elim, 1 Heat Consi - (No Points), 2 Heat Final.

If you had 3 classes that needed elims you would running 19 Heats of Racing.
                              I'm pretty sure that is less then most events run off in a day now as some have 15 plus classes to run 2 heats on!

Entry wise it would handle between 16-24 boats per class depending on the course.
                              Saying 10 boats per hydro class and 6 boats per runabout class as an average goal, you would be looking at 80 entries.
                              Run in two sets - Hydro and Runabout and be gone by 4:00pm and home by 7:30-10:00pm on Sunday Night!
                              To add to what Graham suggested....
                              Hydros on Saturday, Runabouts on Sunday.
                              Alleviate schedule issues due to motor/boat changes or the "can I get a minute to jump out of one boat and into another..." requests.

Saturday

Set1
                              A Hydro
                              C Hydro

Set2
                              B Hydro
                              D Hydro
                              J hydro

For some more forward thinking, try this.
                              Limit drivers to a maximum 2 hydro and 1 runabout class or vice versa. That would solve the age old issue of pulling teeth to get turn boat volunteers.
                              No more excuses of running 82 classes and having 15 motor changes, blah,blah,blah. The runabout guys would work Saturday, the hydro guys would work Sunday.

Scott Reed's post said it all....
                              Less classes, same drivers, more heats.

In order to do this, we need more organization.

Comment

That would work - 2 days each day if numbers were down and time would allow. still less than what we run now.
                                ----
                                Graham18ce
                                Team Canada ThunderCat
                                Facebook - www.facebook.com\fralickracing
                                Twitter @FralickRacing
                                Instagram @FralickRacing

Comment

Working...
                                X