Vintage OPC Racing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vintage Definition

Is vintage defined or is it any obsolete boat or engine? I stopped by Bob Thompsons' boat dealership in Indy today to inquire about the boats he has that Ben Robertson had driven. He has one hanging from the ceiling that is pretty cool. I'm sure there are others.
    Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by jcknox View Post
      Is vintage defined or is it any obsolete boat or engine? I stopped by Bob Thompsons' boat dealership in Indy today to inquire about the boats he has that Ben Robertson had driven. He has one hanging from the ceiling that is pretty cool. I'm sure there are others.
      Jeff
      I believe it only has to be an actual race hull, at least 25 years old or a replica of one.

I wonder if Bob still has the Turbocharged V4 that Ben ran in the mid 70's with "Just add water"???

Comment

APBA Vintage & Historic

Originally posted by jcknox View Post
        Jeff
        Jeff and others,
        You can check out the vintagehydroplanes.com site for the links to the actual APBA definition. Basically it includes all classes of raceboats prior to 1986 that raced or are built/replicated to depict a race boat. In other words, it can be a new hull, but represents a "vintage" raceboat. The boat doesn't have to have racing history to run in V&H. The Classic Raceboat Association (CRA) also santions Vintage events (in Florida).

V&H Bylaws: http://www.vintagehydroplanes.com/vi...ylaws_2010.pdf

Comment

I'm a Southern Maryland transplant seeing these boats and people I grew up around brings back some good memories. The boat with the dry stacks made me remember John Edwards in front of Seven Gables running that big old Chrysler with stacks. Sounded so great all wound tight. St. Marys county was a small place back then seemed everybody knew everybody.

Comment

Factory teams

Hers's a picture to make you drool. No expence spared back in those days.

Miami 1972 - Race blown out but what a turn out.
            Attached Files
            Tom L.

Comment

One more

Very early Tunnel. Style Craft. Note the model years of the cars in the background.
              Attached Files
              Tom L.

Comment

Wow thanks those were cool I sure would love to hear a dry stack 2 cycle scream again.

Comment

A few more pictures for ya

Just going thru some picture files. Thought I would post some more vintage OPC for those interested.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Tomtall; 03-04-2013, 06:25 PM.
                  Tom L.

Comment

Originally posted by brichter View Post
                    Dan,
                    I know the post is old but just found the pictures you posted.
                    I remember these boats and the drivers that raced them, Rudy and Herb(?). They made the long trip to run at a race in Rockford, Illinois....I think 1979 is a pretty good guess. Very nice people. Both boats ran very well in Mod 100 which was the same as Mod UJ except no limit on # of venturis and up to 103cubes to allow the big Chryslers.

I am curious if the motor on the back of the #189 Velden is the same one that Herb raced and if you know anything about the powerhead??
                    Also do you know what plans the owner has for the Velden and motor?

Anybody, I am not sure if there is still an organization focused on Vintage OPC anymore.......would like to hear if there is any news or plan on reviving Vintage OPC.
                    I drove a Cougar with our motor on it in 1974 . Phil got this boat from OMC Barry Woods finished second at Parker with it , OMC said it would not hang and Phil got it , more later, we also built 65 OMC motors for him before the 75 came out

Comment

So is it possible to have an OPC Division in Vintage.
                      best affiliate programs

Comment

Looking for a left hand rotation 3 blade prop 17 - 20 7/8 splined shaft size mercury unit used on 120 class prior to going to right hand props

Comment

Working...
                        X