Vintage OPC Racing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anyone?

I've been following your posts, and wish there was something like this going on down here in Texas. I appreciate and am old enough to remember when the first tunnel hulls showed up down here---Molinari's, Carlsons, Switzer wings with those screaming open stacks...brings back a lot of good memories from my childhood, and have often wondered what happens to all those old raceboat hulls after their competitive life is over.

If anyone in the south has a vintage OPC tunnel laying around in their yard/shed that they'd like to see restored, I'd be interested in buying it. Even if vintage never runs down here, it would be a great attention getter / display to show at the local races and events, and a fun excuse to travel to vintage events around the country. Feel free to contact me.

Happy holidays!
    Nate

Comment

If you could....

Originally posted by catndahats View Post
      I've been following your posts, and wish there was something like this going on down here in Texas. I appreciate and am old enough to remember when the first tunnel hulls showed up down here---Molinari's, Carlsons, Switzer wings with those screaming open stacks...brings back a lot of good memories from my childhood, and have often wondered what happens to all those old raceboat hulls after their competitive life is over.

If anyone in the south has a vintage OPC tunnel laying around in their yard/shed that they'd like to see restored, I'd be interested in buying it. Even if vintage never runs down here, it would be a great attention getter / display to show at the local races and events, and a fun excuse to travel to vintage events around the country. Feel free to contact me.

Happy holidays!
      Nate
      Hey Nate,
      If you could pick one ...what boat would it be????

Zonker Vintageopcracing@aol.com

Comment

Zonker,
        That's a tough one, my heart races and my eyes glaze over just thinking about that question. The kid in me says if I had to pick in a dream world, it would probably be one of those early wood Molinari singles, or a Glastron/Molinari single or twin running with Merc open stacks. I used to drool all over those when I was a kid, about 35-40 years ago. There used to be a Switzer wing on top of a boat shop's billboard many years ago down in Pearland, TX (a suburb of Houston)...I've often wondered what happened to it.

Comment

Dreams

Originally posted by catndahats View Post
          Zonker,
          That's a tough one, my heart races and my eyes glaze over just thinking about that question. The kid in me says if I had to pick in a dream world, it would probably be one of those early wood Molinari singles, or a Glastron/Molinari single or twin running with Merc open stacks. I used to drool all over those when I was a kid, about 35-40 years ago. There used to be a Switzer wing on top of a boat shop's billboard many years ago down in Pearland, TX (a suburb of Houston)...I've often wondered what happened to it.
          No doubt, good choices. The Switzer Wing was removed from the Pearland Marine, as now is safe & sound in Florida. Sometimes dreams come true. Can you email me your phone number? I may be able to help you. You can reach me at Vintageopcracing@aol.com
          Lets see what happens.

Zonker

Comment

Update!!!!

Happy Holiday's to ALL!

I need to get a list of peole that are coming to Chattahocee, for the season opener. We need to promote the heck outta this race! Let's get the season off to a great start!
            Let's hear from you!
            Emails to Vintageopcracing@aol.com

Zonker

Comment

Zonker,
              Email sent....I'm on my way out the door to church, and then family time for the next few days, but feel free to email.

"Dreams" would be a good name for a boat.

Merry Christmas!
              Nate

Originally posted by Zonker View Post
              No doubt, good choices. The Switzer Wing was removed from the Pearland Marine, as now is safe & sound in Florida. Sometimes dreams come true. Can you email me your phone number? I may be able to help you. You can reach me at Vintageopcracing@aol.com
              Lets see what happens.

Zonker

Comment

Hey Nate the Chattahoochee event is about 40 miles west of Tallahassee Fl. It should be a fun event for all with some good OPC and SLT races and hopefully a lot of Vintage exhibition runs and displays.
                Bruce Washburn

Comment

OK...LET's HEAR about.....

Let's hear about what you are bringing to Chattahoochee! Bring the boat, bring the family, bring your Aunt & Uncle. Get those brownie points stacked up, by gettin' them outta the cold!

LET'S HEAR FROM YA!

Zonker

Comment

vintage

I'm looking for a vintage OPC boat to restore. Any leads would be great.
                    All the boats here look awesome and bring back memories

Comment

Originally posted by redlinep1 View Post
                      I'm looking for a vintage OPC boat to restore. Any leads would be great.
                      All the boats here look awesome and bring back memories
                      If you could get the Vintage boat of your dreams, what would it be?

Zonker

Comment

Originally posted by Zonker View Post
                        If you could get the Vintage boat of your dreams, what would it be?

Zonker
                        Anything from the glory days of F1
                        A Velden would be nice

Comment

Originally posted by redlinep1 View Post
                          Anything from the glory days of F1
                          A Velden would be nice
                          Just so happens I have 2 sitting here that need total restoration.
                          Joe Horvath

Comment

Chattahoocee Vintage

HERE WE GO!!!

The Vintage & Historic Group of the APBA, has a new catagory! The OPC will now be an operating catagory, within the Vintage & Historic Group! We will be working hard to increase participation OPC specific boats, within the Vintage & Historic Group.

NOW is the time to STEP UP! We NEED to hear from you! We NEED your participation. We can SUPPORT YOUR EFFORTS!

Chattahoocee is just around the corner, it's the START of something GREAT! So LET'S HEAR from you!

Zonker
                            Vintageopcracing@aol.com

Comment

Originally posted by HRTV View Post
                              Roger,

O'Berry had three boats, the photo below is of the other two which Ruddy Foote drove in Mod UJ here in region 4. I took this photo down in Portsmouth, VA and I think the year might have been 1979 give or take a few years. The number 189 Velden is sitting in my buddies garage right around the corner from my home here in Maryland, its still got the V4 sitting on the transom

The 894 boat was the smaller of the two boats, that sucker would haul ass with Rudy behind the wheel
                              Dan,
                              I know the post is old but just found the pictures you posted.
                              I remember these boats and the drivers that raced them, Rudy and Herb(?). They made the long trip to run at a race in Rockford, Illinois....I think 1979 is a pretty good guess. Very nice people. Both boats ran very well in Mod 100 which was the same as Mod UJ except no limit on # of venturis and up to 103cubes to allow the big Chryslers.

I am curious if the motor on the back of the #189 Velden is the same one that Herb raced and if you know anything about the powerhead??
                              Also do you know what plans the owner has for the Velden and motor?

Anybody, I am not sure if there is still an organization focused on Vintage OPC anymore.......would like to hear if there is any news or plan on reviving Vintage OPC.

Comment

The 189 boat motor and trailer are all still sitting in the garage here in DC.
                                HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

Comment

Working...
                                X