Vintage OPC Racing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by calvin View Post
    Foote Oberry passed away about 5 years ago after battling cancer for at least 10 yrs....Rudt is still living in so. md. the moly had a rs johnson on it during its racing years and was painted by John Hervat of Wisconsin!
    I have a few photos of Rudy that I will try and dig up, I raced with all these guys right here in region 4 back in the 80's. Harry Davis bought the RS from O'Berry in the mid 80's raced it for a while then loaned it to me, I destroyed the RS up in Sunbury, PA when I hit a sea wall, needless to say that Harry was not very happy when I got back home
    HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

Comment

Originally posted by RogerH View Post
      Calvin,
      Thanks for the update on the O'Berry's. It's hard to see but Hervat Enterprise (the painter) is at the very top of the canopy. Pete Nydal had told me the John painted the boat.

Don't want to hog this thread, but if others have some info to pass along you can eMail me at hinsdale@bellsouth.net

Thanks - Roger
      Roger,

O'Berry had three boats, the photo below is of the other two which Ruddy Foote drove in Mod UJ here in region 4. I took this photo down in Portsmouth, VA and I think the year might have been 1979 give or take a few years. The number 189 Velden is sitting in my buddies garage right around the corner from my home here in Maryland, its still got the V4 sitting on the transom

The 894 boat was the smaller of the two boats, that sucker would haul ass with Rudy behind the wheel
      Attached Files
      HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

Comment

Originally posted by RogerH View Post
        Calvin,
        Thanks for the update on the O'Berry's. It's hard to see but Hervat Enterprise (the painter) is at the very top of the canopy. Pete Nydal had told me the John painted the boat.

Don't want to hog this thread, but if others have some info to pass along you can eMail me at hinsdale@bellsouth.net

Thanks - Roger

Roger,

Here is a vintage photo of me beside my Mod UJ rig the photo was taken in Bristol, Tenn.

the boat was originally built by Craig Bowman for Clearance Archer then modified for me to run Mod UJ back in the early 80's yes Craig built an OPC boat.
        Attached Files
        HTML Code:

Comment

Originally posted by Admin View Post
          Roger,

O'Berry had three boats, the photo below is of the other two which Ruddy Foote drove in Mod UJ here in region 4. I took this photo down in Portsmouth, VA and I think the year might have been 1979 give or take a few years. The number 189 Velden is sitting in my buddies garage right around the corner from my home here in Maryland, its still got the V4 sitting on the transom

The 894 boat was the smaller of the two boats, that sucker would haul ass with Rudy behind the wheel
          Dan,
          Is there ANY way you can get you & your nieghbor involved with the Vintage events??? The 189 Velden & you 2 would be a huge addition to the roster. Being a non-competitive event would allow the boat to be shown off, without running the risk of damaging it. C'mon Dan, drag it out, have some fun.
          Also, do you have any idea what happened to your UJ boat?? There was a tunnel up in Minn. that looked like it. Just curious.
          THANKS for your support!

Zonker

Vintageopcracing@aol.com

Comment

Joe Horvath

Are you the owner of the Velden's shown in the pics, If so who did you get them from.

Burkhardt

Comment

Originally posted by Zonker View Post
              Dan,
              Is there ANY way you can get you & your nieghbor involved with the Vintage events??? The 189 Velden & you 2 would be a huge addition to the roster. Being a non-competitive event would allow the boat to be shown off, without running the risk of damaging it. C'mon Dan, drag it out, have some fun.
              Also, do you have any idea what happened to your UJ boat?? There was a tunnel up in Minn. that looked like it. Just curious.
              THANKS for your support!

Zonker

Vintageopcracing@aol.com

My neighbor is way too old now so I would have to drag it out and see what condition the boat is in etc... I could probably get him to tag along though. Regarding my old Mod UJ boat I sold it to a guy many moons ago and have no idea what happen to it after that.
              HTML Code:

Comment

Originally posted by BURKHARDT View Post
                Are you the owner of the Velden's shown in the pics, If so who did you get them from.

Burkhardt
                Joe got them from me. If you have any more questions regarding these boats, please contact me directly at Zonkercraft@aol.com Thanks!

Zonker
                Last edited by Zonker; 11-29-2007, 10:12 AM.

Comment

My neighbor is way too old now so I would have to drag it out and see what condition the boat is in etc... I could probably get him to tag along though. Regarding my old Mod UJ boat I sold it to a guy many moons ago and have no idea what happen to it after that.
                  Dan,
                  Can you do so? It would be great to see it going again. If you need some help with it, just holler.
                  Let me see what I can dig up on the boat in Minn. I believe that it's your old boat, but I'm not quite sure. It was an SE as told by the fellow who had it. I looked big for an SE though. The cowlings looked real close to your pictures.

Thanks,
                  Zonker

Vintageopcracing@aol.com
                  Last edited by Zonker; 11-29-2007, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BURKHARDT View Post

Burkhardt
                    Like Zonker said, any questions about those Veldens should go to him. I can tell you a little about them, but he had them for a while knows knows their history.
                    Joe Horvath

Comment

Veldens

I Know Everything About Them.

Comment

Looks like Ray Lumpkins is on board

I received these photos from Ray Lumpkins here in region 4 saying we can count on him to show up for the OPC Vintage racing, the boat is a 1980 Herring SST120 rig Ray recently restored.
                        Attached Files
                        HTML Code:

Comment

Bezoats OPC

the boat was originally built by Craig Bowman for Clearance Archer then modified for me to run Mod UJ back in the early 80's yes Craig built an OPC boat.
                          In the mid '70s the Portsmouth, VA race ran OPC on Saturday and Stock/Alky on Sunday. At the 1973 Portsmouth race I arrived Saturday afternoon, watched the end of the OPC races, and saw a new Bezoats tunnel hull. I have no idea what class it was. The boat was all wood with an all-natural finish (little or no paint). It was a >>beautiful<< boat. I was so impressed that months later when when I finally met Shanon, Gary Hilson, and Craig together I asked about that boat to confirm it was theirs and to compliment them before placing my order for my Bezoats 25SS hydro.

Did Bezoats build more than one OPC tunnel or is this the same boat?
                          @@@@@@@@@@@@

Mark Ritchie
                          72@E
                          Former Boat Racer
                          21st Century: CSH, CSR, and "J Dad" x2
                          20th Century: ASH, ASR, BSR, 25SSH, 25SSR

@@@@@@@@@@@@

Comment

Originally posted by Mark 72@E View Post
                            In the mid '70s the Portsmouth, VA race ran OPC on Saturday and Stock/Alky on Sunday. At the 1973 Portsmouth race I arrived Saturday afternoon, watched the end of the OPC races, and saw a new Bezoats tunnel hull. I have no idea what class it was. The boat was all wood with an all-natural finish (little or no paint). It was a >>beautiful<< boat. I was so impressed that months later when when I finally met Shanon, Gary Hilson, and Craig together I asked about that boat to confirm it was theirs and to compliment them before placing my order for my Bezoats 25SS hydro.

Did Bezoats build more than one OPC tunnel or is this the same boat?
                            Mark,

Same boat I was the second owner

Craig built the boat for "Sticks" Archer out of Washington, DC now deceased. I bought the boat from Sticks and had James Rogerson out of Portsmouth, VA re-design the boat in 1980 so I could run Mod-UJ with it. There is a photo of me standing beside it after the re-design #17 a few post back in this thread. I raced the boat for roughly 4 or 5 years before selling it to guy in mid west.
                            HTML Code:

Comment

It's funny

Mark,

Craig built the boat for "Sticks" Archer out of Washington, DC now deceased.
                              It's funny how things are buried in your memory. Unlike most race boats, did the previous owner have Washington, DC boat registration numbers on the hull?
                              @@@@@@@@@@@@

Mark Ritchie
                              72@E
                              Former Boat Racer
                              21st Century: CSH, CSR, and "J Dad" x2
                              20th Century: ASH, ASR, BSR, 25SSH, 25SSR

@@@@@@@@@@@@

Comment

Originally posted by Mark 72@E View Post
                                It's funny how things are buried in your memory. Unlike most race boats, did the previous owner have Washington, DC boat registration numbers on the hull?
                                Yes he did we all did, our practice spot was the Potomac River, we would launch our boats from roaches run at the crack of dawn on Sunday Morning
                                HTML Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X