C Stock Hydros

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C Stock Hydros

Hi people. My name is Lester Connor & I reside in Christchurch New Zealand. Our city was severely damaged by a series of earthquakes 2011 & 2012, my life changed dramatically as result. I retired from working life early because of health issues.
    I have wanted an outboard hydro sine the 60's & now as I approach my 60's I'm going to act on that 'Bucket Wish List'. There were dozens of outboard hydros around in days gone by in NZ, mostly B class with Konigs, a few C class with Konigs & Mercs & a few more D class with Mercs. There are only a couple of complete boats left, most being dumped in the 80's it would seem.
    I'm looking to import a C stock Hydro from the USA or a OSY 400 from England. I'm doing this for 2 reasons: I want to drive a boat whilst to fulfil my long held wish, but also I want to put a boat in a museum & document the history of this category of circuit racing.
    A new boat would be a 'spiritual descendent' of boats of this wonderful era. In time I hope to find/restore/ or replicate a B Konig or B alky Merc from this era to tuck on the back for others to marvel at.
    I have not followed OB Hydros since the early 70's & am unsure of the difference between a C Stock & a UIM OSY 400, could someone enlighten me?

Are you looking for a rig from the 60s or 70 with a Mercury Mark 30H or a newer rig with the Yamato 102 or 302 motor? The Mark 30H might be a choice for the museum.

Charlie

Comment

CSH and OSY400

Following table info latest APBA manual. It does not include all differences but a start for you:

http://www.apba.org/sites/all/files/...O_MO_PRO_4.pdf

Min Age CSH 16 OSY400 14

Engine CSH 102, 302 OSY400 Y80, 102, 202D or E, 302

Min Weight CSH 440 OSY400 396

Start CSH timed flying OSY400 jetty, beach, optional

Prop shaft depth CSH 3/4" min OSY400 none listed

There are differences if racing under UIM rules compared to APBA rules. Not familiar with the differences. Good luck if you can find the European UIM OSY 400 rules.

See page 35 for additional OSY 400 APBA info in:

http://www.apba.org/sites/all/files/...205-9-12_0.pdf
      Last edited by ZUL8TR; 06-06-2013, 02:01 PM. Reason: reformatting
      "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
      No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Pater View Post
        Are you looking for a rig from the 60s or 70 with a Mercury Mark 30H or a newer rig with the Yamato 102 or 302 motor? The Mark 30H might be a choice for the museum.

Charlie
        Hi Charlie. Nice to hear from you. My wife and I visited the U.S. briefly last year - what an amazing place, so vast & such great diversities of ethnicity. Seems the founders of the U.S. sure had vision of what principles they wanted the land to have.
        I'm looking for a newer rig with a Yamoto 302 that I can put a B Alky Konig or 20H for display purposes. The reasons for this are twofold. Firstly, the majority of the rigs were B class powered by Konigs in the main with some 20Hs in various stages of tune, in this part of New Zealand at least. This was on account of affordability and a helpful dealer. The wealthier racers were able to buy C class Konigs or develop 30Hs to a higher state of tune. Secondly, New Zealanders have an affinity with Konigs on account of a New Zealander almost winning the world 500 motorcycle championship.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Pater View Post

Charlie
          Hi Charlie. Nice to hear from you. My wife and I visited the U.S. briefly last year - what an amazing place, so vast & such great diversities of ethnicity. Seems the founders of the U.S. sure had vision of what principles they wanted the land to have.
          I'm looking for a newer rig with a Yamoto 302 that I can put a B Alky Konig or 20H for display purposes. The reasons for this are twofold. Firstly, the majority of the rigs were B class powered by Konigs in the main with some 20Hs in various stages of tune, in this part of New Zealand at least. This was on account of affordability and a helpful dealer. The wealthier racers were able to buy C class Konigs or develop 30Hs to a higher state of tune.
          Secondly, New Zealanders have an affinity with Konigs on account of a New Zealander almost winning the world 500 motorcycle championship.

Comment

Thanks for your ZUL8TR from Orlando. Do you know of any complete C Stock rigs for sale that would suit my purposes, or are you able to direct me to a relevant website?
            Thanks again, Lester.

Comment

CSH rig

Lester

I do not presently know of a complete CSH rig for sale. Those rigs are
              sometimes for sale on this site. In fact there is one all but the engine under the buy sell section ubder the forum.

http://www.hydroracer.net/forums/showthread.php?t=26061

The above is a kneel down hydro. In UIM OSY400 they mainly race with a laydown type hull where the driver lays on his chest, abdomen and is pretty much fixed in position whereby kneel down you can move back and forth and lean to the turning side. These hydros are designed to only turn left at speed.

If you do get a csh rig I recommend the 302 engine since it is the latest version used in the US (as well as in Europe under UIM) and much easier to deal with since it is a CD ignition. They are for sale in US as well as Europe:

http://www.yamatoracing.net/

http://www.yamatoracing.co.uk/#

Another issue will be the propellors, see if you can get a rig with a few propellors included.

Once you have the rig you can always chime into this site for tech help. There are plenty here that are expert in the CSH.

See if you can locate a rig in New Zealand because shipping will be expensive from the US plus you need to see it before you buy it.
              No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

just came up for sale

the entire package, shipping is an issue.

http://www.hydroracer.net/forums/sho...threadid=26132

Comment

Thanks again ZUL8TR. I feel a little embarrassed but my budget is US$2000+shipping for a complete boat. Seriously, am I being unrealistic? Lester.

Comment

Originally posted by Lester Connor View Post
                    Thanks again ZUL8TR. I feel a little embarrassed but my budget is US$2000+shipping for a complete boat. Seriously, am I being unrealistic? Lester.
                    I purchased a boat and motor at the end of last season CSH outfit for $3500 US. Thought it was a good deal. Not quite race ready though.

Comment

Working...
                    X