No announcement yet.

titanium?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's interestin', and perhaps more useful than the answer to my question, which involved the ratio of SM to density. To Jerkizoid: As YellowJacket stated above, the "bendability" of a material goes with the modulus, not the strength. A Ti blade will bend more under the same load and geometry than any steel one, be it stainless or otherwise.

Comment

Clairification

Originally posted by LarryR View Post
      That's interestin', and perhaps more useful than the answer to my question, which involved the ratio of SM to density. To Jerkizoid: As YellowJacket stated above, the "bendability" of a material goes with the modulus, not the strength. A Ti blade will bend more under the same load and geometry than any steel one, be it stainless or otherwise.
      SM = specific modulus = generally defined as the ratio of Modulus of elasticity to mass density as you stated in your riddle me this. This definition is predominately used for a stiffness driven design. However depending on what type of structural/dimensional constraints are placed on the design will determine the algebraic state of density in the denominator, i.e. density squared or density cubed. Other factors also play into the structural design along with the constraints selected.
      "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
      No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

Dohh! I missed that definition. My bad and thanks.

Comment

From a dummy that is a "prop" guy (5,000 propeller inventory) titanium is "OUT". Drop forged is "IN". You might Ask this one guy named Hering, see what he has to say about it. All the tech talk is fun and insightful but, the facts speak for themselves. No disrespect intended. BT

Comment

So....

Ti is weaker not stronger, so any advantage gained is only 1/2 the rotating weight? So if my bite is equal between the two the only gain is less weight?
            That could be a bunch, like 2 full pounds with steel being around 4 pounds and the Ti is 2. Guess I just have to test it and remove it before towing the boat anywhere!

Comment

Working...
            X