Thunder on Wolf Creek

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thunder on Wolf Creek

Had a great race down at Grove, Ok this weekend with some great racing and fun, and HEAT, did I say HEAT, 105 index, YIKES. Racing just as hot with a great effort put together by Doc Miller, his Son Rick and all the rest of the folks. They worked their butts off and pulled off some great fun.

​One of the highlights was the awarding of trophies for the winners on Saturday, not just any trophies mind you. Dudley Malone a long time friend and competitor in boat racing, went into his attic and pulled trophies from his storied career and donated them for Thunder on Wolf Creek. These trophies dated back into the 50's and were very exotic. Doc Miller and Rick had them refurbished, new class plates put on them and they were absolutely a hit for the racers. I picked one up and it was heavy and made with real wood as a decoration, but what fun. Would be neat to see other drivers with "boatloads" of trophies do the same.

A couple of highlights from the weekend:

It was wonderful to see Bailey Owen back on the water after a serious injury sidelined her for almost a year. Bailey won all 4 heats of racing in the AH class and it was convincing wins in all 4 heats. McKenzie Blaze was also a 4 heat winner in the Novice class at the tender age of 11 and she did an outstanding job. Mike Kyrkendol was able to double up as well with a good turnout of boats from around the Midwest and south.

My thanks to Doc Miller and Rick for being such great hosts and putting on a heck of show.

Ray

Thanks Ray for making the trip to Grove, Oklahoma. Keye to success to a good race is the volunteers who pitch in and make it a fun event. We were finished at 4:00 on Saturday and 3:30 on Sunday due to careful driving. We want to thank all that competited in Thunder on Wolf Creek where we had thirteen hundred fans on saturday.

Comment

I just wanted to say if we would have had Ray announcing all those years we probably would had dozens more entries over the last two decades. He made thre show. It's hard to keep people interested when it's 100° but, WITHOUT a cheat sheet, that guy knew every drivers name, boat color, and hometown . A True professional, unlike we have ever exprenimced. Thanks you.

Comment

I echo the comments concerning Ray Rodda. He makes working the judge's stand a piece of cake. I don't think there is a fact that he doesn't remember and he does it all without cheat sheets. I know that he sure brings the crowd into racing and carries the load for the rest of us. THANK YOU RAY! Jack

Comment

• RLR
          RLR commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Jack. Looking forward to Claremore.

And his famous words Holy Buckets, and awe man look at these guys the best in the country.We were so lucky when he did our race here in Ca before moving. Always enjoyed his announcing anywhere we met up.

Comment

I would like to thank all those who enabled us to quickly go through the schedule on both Sat and Sun. Our jet ski team members were sure part of that effort as well as the scorers. It takes everyone working together and we had that. Thanks! Jack

Comment

• RLR
            RLR commented
            Editing a comment
            could not agree more Jack, keeping the show going, putting boats on the water, the most critical part, no boats on the water, the crowd goes away. The guys did just an awesome job of keeping the show going.

Agreed! Very well run event. Compliments to all involved. This was also my first opportunity to hear the legendary Ray Rodda. I gotta say the reputation is well deserved. Awesome!
          "In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress". -- John Adams

Comment

Working...
          X