What are my options? 44 mod pistons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blueskyracer View Post
    I just ordered another set of pistons and they will be here the 7th of may.. And I am not holding my breath.. I am beginning to think way back when I should of just ordered a Tohatsu
    As soon as you hear that Mod motor light off all second thoughts will be forgotten.

Comment

Dale you are right.. Nothing sounds as racy as these motors so I will deal with it.. I kind of remember this was all your fault!!
      Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

Been thinking about the next chapter of Budget D-Mod build up. Perhaps Budget D-Mod Runabout.

Comment

Mike send me the Vertex pistons and rings and I will fix them for you. It's just a tedious and time consuming job but they work great when done right.

Comment

Mike, follow up with the offer from Steve Dunn or Bob Dunlap. You will be happy with the Vertex pistons with minor adjustment.

Comment

PM's sent.. I would love to know what everyone's cure for the pistons are.. I have been told two ideas.. Its to bad this was not general knowledge back when I bought them..

Comment

One other thought, if out of time to have Mr. Dunlop rework your parts, might be to call/consult Dave Scott in Canada......EHH?
                Dave "bent over" a while back, and asked how many would be "interested" if he had a run of small wrist pin pistons made.........I think he had to have a 50(?) quanity minimum order(s) in several bore sizes to get a run produced for.......... US racers.

I think he still has 80% of that effort, he went of way to "bend over" for US, ........and dig deep in his own pockets, built, .........for US, .........at a fair price,.....run/manufactured,......... and still......on the shelf........

EHH .............Dave ?

Have not seen Dave at the races lately..........hmmmmmm.......... EHH?

100N STEVE FRENCH > Nobody can hang with my STUFF!! >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tna3B5zqHdk

SEEEEEE YAAAAAA!!............In my WAKE!! .............100N>>

Comment

Hope these work out, where from, are they Merc or Sierra?
                  "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
                  No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

I think that unless you find someone with a stash of oversize Merc pistons that all that is left is aftermarket.. I have a lot of lightly used Merc standard size pistons but oversize is not happening.. I have one motor with Sierra and they work fine so I have four more coming from of all places Sears.. Amazon also had them but only two left in stock with more on the way.. $97 bucks or you can get them thru any Marine store for $116-$120 a piece. It is a matter of time with our first race not very far away now

Comment

Ok I got the new pistons ( Sierra) and of coarse they have no instructions.. I gather since the size of the rings are etched in the rings that the side with the number will go upwards on the pistons??

Comment

figured it out.. Rings only work right with the number up

Comment

figured it out.. Rings only work right with the number up
                          That's correct same as the Merc rings that have 'O' mark on the rings that install facing the piston top.
                          No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

Just curious what are the requirements for clearance on Vertex, Weisco, Sierra, and Mercury pistons.. Seems that they all need different clearances.. I know on the Sierra that they call for a 2.580 hole which gives .007 clearance as a example for a first over piston.

Comment

Just curious what are the requirements for clearance on Vertex, Weisco, Sierra, and Mercury pistons.. Seems that they all need different clearances.. I know on the Sierra that they call for a 2.580 hole which gives .007 clearance as a example for a first over piston.
                              I clearanced my 15 over Merc 2 ring 44 pistons at 0.0065"in a stock no pipes engine. No issues at 7100 rpm. H. Brinkman has 0.007 +/- 0.0005 over the bore diameter for stock no pipes. For Mod he ups the clearance to 0.0075+ for hot filler block and 0.007 - 0.009 with open megaphone exhaust and water cooled internal filler block . Interested what the others say.

PS I used the 44 15 over 2 ring pistons in my 25ss Merc

Comment

Thanks.. I guess I need to open up just a fraction.. What do they say loose is fast..

Comment

Working...
                                X