Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hydroplane Plans or Kits

Hello everyone!

I am wondering if I could be pointed in the direction of where to get some plans or a kit for modern outboard hydroplane boats. I’d love to build a boat that is a B/C boat. I’ve had a vintage A boat for a long time and I’m ready to build something a little bigger since I am too big for the A boat these days.

Thanks for your help!!

http://www.sorensenwoodcraft.com/

he has a FB page also
    Hal Kellys plans are still available, but 60 yrs old
    Construction methods have changed
    Brian Hendrick, #66 F
    "the harder we try, the worser it gets"

Comment

Darrell Sorensen has great plans, and he would most likely build you a kit for what you are looking for.

His number is: 559-665-2690 or 209-233-9799.
      sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

anyone racing the sorenson's, if so how are they doing

Comment

The owners of this website have great plans.

Comment

Originally posted by pav225 View Post
            The owners of this website have great plans.
            Yes... MJR plans are still competitive..... call Mike or Teresa Phillips at 406-827-8896.
            sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Im not sure if John Runne is making kits or not. they are fast and stable boats as well.
              spider pig, spider pig, spider pig does what'ever a spider pig does.

Comment

• csh-2z
                csh-2z commented
                Editing a comment
                I don't do kits and my plans have very limited information. Nothing somebody else could work off of.

What’s your A class boat look like?😁😁😁

Comment

Originally posted by Special K View Post
                What’s your A class boat look like?😁😁😁
                This was taken a few years ago with a KG7H on it in an attempt to get my big boy butt on plane. It did the trick but it was unstable and only did about 40mph.

Thanks everyone for the contact information and ideas! This really helps me get the ball rolling!

Comment

Your old boat looks great! If you start shopping now, you could probably buy a complete used racing hydro for the C or D class for way less $ than building or buying new. If you're too big for the A boat, then maybe a modern 20SSH or 25XSH or even a CSH would work, but you still may only see 40mph with the KG-7H engine. These sites are a great place to post a "Want Ad" www.Hydroracer.net www.boatracingfacts.com www.AOMCI.org www.JohnsOldMercurySite.com

Comment

• Boatboy88
                    Boatboy88 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Part of the reason I wanted to get a modern boat is because that old design is pretty darn squirrelly and the starboard sponson drags (no air traps on that boat). I'll check out those other sites and see what i can turn up. Thanks!

We do have full size plans available with fantastic directions for the build. If we don't get to the phone leave a message and we will call you back. 406.827.8896

Welcome to hydroracer, we hope you enjoy your visit.

Comment

Steve French had a boat for sale at franklin last weekend. Think he’s up in north PA. Might not be to far from you.

Comment

• Boatboy88
                      Boatboy88 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Do you know anything about the boat?

I know it looked like it could use freshened up a bit but that would be easier than building one. It was a runner. He had a mercury 30H on it and it sure did get around in a hurry. I didn’t get a price because I didn’t want to tempt myself. Wouldn’t be hard on here to find him or someone who knows how to to get some info.

Comment

I think it is a good idea to build a boat or at least get a boat that needs work. More than getting on the water or what it costs, it will teach you every inch of the boat. When these things get damaged you will know how to fix it yourself vs. bringing it a builder to be fixed. Also it is fun to build boats and learn about epoxy, polyester, vinylester resins, Okoume plywood, fiberglass, carbon fiber, kevlar etc. I have a fixer upper hydro and enjoy working on it, I also build and repair wood and carbon fiber kayaks and rowing shells........I' would love to build a hydro next......

Comment

Special K -- Steve French has a ton of stuff for sale on here, including that boat. Right on this page.

Comment

Working...
                        X