No announcement yet.

Motor advise for a newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like I already asked that question. But in my defense and all you guys favor, this sport/hobby is not as easy as one might think to just get into unless you have $10,000 to buy a ready to race rig with all the gear. And there is a huge science behind what you guys do. I do vintage motocross and it痴 not even close to this complicated or technical and is just as easy as showing up at any track or race and your in the game with whatever you bring. My problem is I got a great boat at an almost free price with a motor that was not intended for it so here I am. I知 not afraid to spend whatever I have to to get me in the right spot but I also like to be as educated as I can be before spending my money or trying to be involved in something that is just out of my reach.

Comment

Originally posted by Special K View Post
      there Is a complete Yamato 102 tower and gearcase on eBay right now. Could that be adapted to my mark55 powerhead or is a complete y80 from Tom Cronk still a better route to go? Is a y80 easy to service or rebuild in the future if need be? If I don’t actually race and just use my boat for fun how long will the y80 be reliable?
      We used to year apart the y 80 and put them back together in under an hour for inspection.

A simple fast work horse motor for your boat.

Comment

Originally posted by Special K View Post
        Looks like I already asked that question. But in my defense and all you guys favor, this sport/hobby is not as easy as one might think to just get into unless you have $10,000 to buy a ready to race rig with all the gear. And there is a huge science behind what you guys do. I do vintage motocross and it’s not even close to this complicated or technical and is just as easy as showing up at any track or race and your in the game with whatever you bring. My problem is I got a great boat at an almost free price with a motor that was not intended for it so here I am. I’m not afraid to spend whatever I have to to get me in the right spot but I also like to be as educated as I can be before spending my money or trying to be involved in something that is just out of my reach.
        I just went to page one and relooked at your boat, you couldn't race it , it's too dangerous..

A fine Sunday morning at the lake with a y 80 and friends in a patrol boat..

Because It will blow over and send you into the drink .

Comment

I guess I知 going to just cut my loses then and part this thing out. Not the first time I致e had to live and learn. That痴 why I ask so many questions before I do anything crazy. If the boat is dangerous, I wonder what it was used for back in the day. Maybe a display piece for what not to put in the water. Time to just close down this thread and call it a day.

Comment

Thanks Rodney 34 for loosing a motor sale for me. How do you know his boat won't handle the 80 motor???
            We just lost a possible boat racer down the road.
            Tom tcronk@tampabay.rr.com
            Last edited by Tom Cronk; 08-24-2019, 05:56 AM. Reason: corrected email

Comment

Not necessarily Tom, I just sent him a video and it is pretty self explanatory. His boat is perfectly fine for a Y80 for what he wants to do, certainly a lot more suited than what痴 on it right now. As far as spending 10000 for a front running boat to race? First off they don稚 exist, they become what they become. Which means, boat, motor, prop and driver all have to come together! Just proved it with a free boat, $1000 Y80 and some old props. If you can稚 make a start on time, you can have the fastest boat and still not win, period! Proved that one also!

Comment

I think Special K if I understand correctly, is trying to do what Pete has going on with his program. Certainly a nice boat and a cheap Y80 would certainly do the job.

Comment

Crazy Joe Ott hauling the mail with his 10' 1954 Neil Hydro with a Y80 on the back! Safe to say Special K your boat can handle a Y80. This was Joe's favourite boat ride by the way. Loves this boat. The boat is for sale, less the motor, if anyone is interested and it has history.

Comment

Special K, get the Y80 and go have some fun. Looks like a cool boat and a Y80 on it would work very well and run for many many years.

Comment

Well I tried to stay away from this thread since last night but decided to check it and my email. Seems no one else is in agreement with this Rodney character at all. So who is he anyway to make me think my boat is basically dangerous and could never be raced. If I知 not mistaken the shovelnose hydros where very popular back in the late 60痴 and 70痴 and swear I ready and saw that they ran mk55h motors with horns on them. I知 sure it wouldn稚 be competitive with pickle fork style boat of today but I can see where the transom mounts once where and the boat definitely had a short tower motor on it and it痴 rigged just like all I see. Keller hardware/turn fun/ throttle. I didn稚 put the stuff on there. I bought the boat from a guy on the Indiana/Illinois line and I think racing is/was popular in those parts. Wish I would have gotten more words out of him on where it came from or what he knew about it痴 history. The motor was just one he had that he said he was trying to make work on the boat so I assume he added the spacers to the transom to raise it up and I don稚 believe the wing looking side things where originally on the boat. Looks like it had sides that went straight back. So was this Rodney just being stupid? What would make him think this hull is dangerous? I appreciate the few PM痴 I got encouraging me to not give up on this boat and finding a proper motor.

Comment

• deeougee
                        deeougee commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yes your absolutely right. Conventional hydros were the norm up until the late 70’s. Raced in practically any water conditions back in the day also. Conventional and picklefork boats carry the same chute speed but conventional’s are slower in the corners because they don’t generate as much lift in the corners compared to a picklefork boat. Less important in our boats but certainly applies to inboard. Last person to win with a conventional to my knowledge was the HAWK - the late Steve Warnock, smooth and fast! The early 90’s I believe.

Aaron
                      Will be sending you more information and pictures later today by email,if you are still interested.
                      Tom

Comment

I am interested. Just removed my exhaust today from the mercury so I can sell it. Not sure the powerhead is worth anything to anyone.

Comment

Seems as if any response I send from my email to a PM sent to me does not go through because I never get a reply. Maybe I知 doing something wrong which seems to be common for me if it痴 hydroplane related😂😂😂😂😂. But the 1991 seadoo 580cc jetski didn稚 do much for me today so I知 sticking to the hydro idea and will use the ski as a retreaval vessel.

Comment

Special K,

The remaining part of your motor is worth something. Go to AOMCI.... stands for Antique Outboard Motor Club Inc.

AOMCI are people who collect antique outboard motors.... someone will be interested in it. Also, sell on EBAY.

The power head is used for MOD classes. And someone will be able to use the tower housing and gear foot.

Tom Cronk will help you get your rig on the water.
                            sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Special K,

Where do you live? You certainly seem to be interested in hydroplanes, but instead of trying to figure it out here on Hydroracer.net, you really need to meet up with some people at a race or a test day in order really understand what this sport is about. For instance - you do NOT need to spend $10k to get started. You could have a very competitive, modern rig for half of that. Also, when you do meet some racers, you will find out right away that the people in this sport will go the extra mile to help you get going. It is really not that complicated, but just like anything else in life, there is a bit of a learning curve up front. But that is just part of the fun!

Bill

Comment

Working...
                              X