Helmet Certifications/Helmet Rule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helmet Certifications/Helmet Rule

So apparently the APBA board made the decision to make all Snell 2005 certified helmet illegal for this year. I thought the rule previously stated those helmets would be good until 2020. What standard/formula/chart is APBA using to set their helmet rules? Where can I find this standard/formula/chart in the rule book?

I now need to purchase a new helmet that is Snell 2010 or 2015 certified, the 2020’s haven’t come out yet. Where in the rule book does it tell me how long either of those certifications will be good for?
    Joe Silvestri
    CSH/500MH

Dominic Silvestri
    JH/JR

Modsquad, it was reported that Stock numbers were up this year (I can't comment on other Categories as I don't know).
    Maybe it was just all the J drivers you constantly complained about not getting on plane, moving up to Stock??

Comment

• Dave Cofone
      Dave Cofone commented
      Editing a comment
      Pav225, I like to think this is a way to KEEP members. Just like when you buy a house and get married....no way out now, too much invested. I got a FREE boat and so far I have a tiny bit over $7000.00 invested and haven't even driven it yet. Can't turn back now, full steam ahead......

Is that a humble brag about spending $7000? Our Tohastu ran us close to that alone! Money shouldn’t keep you in the sport, if you enjoy it, you stay.

Let’s keep this about helmets.

Comment

• Dave Cofone
      Dave Cofone commented
      Editing a comment
      No not at all......I thought from my tone that it would be obvious I was joking.......guess not. It seems either very few people on this forum have any sense of humor or they just like to be keyboard comando's......I'm getting kind of sick of it and if there is anything that would drive people away from a sport it's THAT.......

I was curious as to what the differences were between the M2005 and M2015 (and for that matter the M2020) Snell ratings were. The most important line I found is that Snell and helmet manufacturers recommend replacing a helmet every 5 years or so due to material degradation with age.

It looks like the APBA rule is probably targeting 10-15 years since we don't use them quite as often as a normal helmet user would

Comment

Let’s not turn my thread into an argument or a discussion about the difference in certifications. I don’t mind buying a new helmet if there is a rule clearly stated in the rule book with data/a formula/ a table/ or something equivalent that is being used to determine the obsolete dates.

Again, nothing in the rule book that I can find. Please point me to it if you know where it’s at. Otherwise the APBA board is making arbitrary decisions.
      Joe Silvestri
      CSH/500MH

Dominic Silvestri
      JH/JR

Comment

• Roskowski30h
        Roskowski30h commented
        Editing a comment
        My original intent was more to look into the differences out of curiosity and I found that 5 year recommendation in all standards I reviewed. I have not seen an official declaration from APBA for timeline, but based on the current/old rules they set out coupled with what Snell recommends as the turnover period for a helmet, I suspect the idea is to try and keep helmets within 10-15 years of the most current rating. Until that is confirmed one way or another, it's just a shot in the dark based on some observations

• Racerkyle20
        Racerkyle20 commented
        Editing a comment
        The APBA safety committee came up with the 12/31/18 expiration date in 2016 for the SNELL 2005 helmet's. All the APBA BOD did this year was re-enforce and existing expiration date. Below is the rule and the expiration's are in the reference page noted. APBA took out the reference list from the rule to make it less confusing. BUT the helmets have been expiring for APBA every 14 year. In 2014 we expired the SNELL 2000, 2019 we expired the 2005's. I'm sure that trend will continue in the future, but it will be up to the safety committee to come up with expired dates for the 2010, 2015, and new 2020 helmets.

A. Helmets shall meet minimum rating specifications (SNELL 2010, SFI, FIA or newer) per list on
        document “APBA Driver Helmets Accepted for Competition and Vintage”. Document location:
        APBA Resources webpage.

Originally posted by jsilvestri View Post
      Let’s not turn my thread into an argument or a discussion about the difference in certifications. I don’t mind buying a new helmet if there is a rule clearly stated in the rule book with data/a formula/ a table/ or something equivalent that is being used to determine the obsolete dates.

Again, nothing in the rule book that I can find. Please point me to it if you know where it’s at. Otherwise the APBA board is making arbitrary decisions.
      There was a helmet cert page book a couple years ago that outlined the timeline for a couple of years...in the 2019 rulebook it has the reference to that crossed out. my guess is that rule that may have been there is gone now. The current rule being Snell 2010. who knows when it will change...

----
      Graham18ce
      Team Canada ThunderCat
      Facebook - www.facebook.com\fralickracing
      Twitter @FralickRacing
      Instagram @FralickRacing

Comment

The last time I had to buy a boat racing helmet was in 1977. It was a standard Bell open face painted orange. Since then I have had to buy at least 5 new helmets for different sports......motorcycle racing and street riding. So naturally I went to a motorcycle shop when I was trying to find a Snell 2015 cert. helmet and found they didn't use that certification any longer. So I hoped online to find and buy one. It made me wonder why APBA uses Snell ratings. My helmet I believe is a motorcycle helmet so no difference there. I think it would just make it easier to find helmets at a reasonable price if DOT or international certificates where accepted......just my opinion......

Comment

• Graham 18ce
          Graham 18ce commented
          Editing a comment
          DOT isn't a high enough standard really, dont think most would argue that...ECE and Snell are the big two..
          ECE is quickly becoming the standard in real life, many motorcycle sports.
          it is always battle of which is better, but really, they are both great, but APBA has selected Snell.
          you can get helmets which are both ECE and Snell, but there is an expense for the tagging of each so most companies select one.

Graham 18ce, I see. I didn't know that, thanks for clarifying.......

Comment

Joe - will try and get your thread back on track as I think it is am important one.
          I search the new website (there is a topic for another thread & time) and could not find the reference guide that had the error that became the gospel. I did find this from another tread so maybe Kyle or another BOD member would be able to explain it to the masses.

Re: cut resistant socks? 03-06-2019, 06:31 AM
          UPDATES:

Tonight (3/5/19), the APBA BOD voted to delay the date of the new cut gear discipline rule (safety rule 3.D which is using the yellow card system for non compliance for all safety gear) to Nov. 1, 2019. The cut gear safety rule for footwear is still on the books (safety rule 3.C), but with no rule for discipline. Essentially this is pushing the entire rule back a year. If you show up to a race without cut resistant footwear this season (2019) you will not be given a yellow card for non compliance.

This was done because of the lack of supply for cut socks, which was a surprise after the new rule took place. APBA is looking on getting a supplier for the cut resistant footwear for the 2020 season.

Also, since on the topic of safety gear, the APBA BOD clarified that SNELL 2005 helmets have expired as of 12/31/18. This was already in the rule book, but some were unsure of the exact rule and date. Safety rule 3.A will be updated for SNELL 2010 or newer helmets as meeting the safety qualifications for the 2019 season.

Thanks.

Kyle Bahl
          APBA Board of Directors

Kyle Bahl
          20-R

"He didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you, he rubbed you, and rubbin' son is racin'!"

• Comment
          • Flag
          • Like 3

Comment

Type your comment here CancelPost

1 comment

• #21.1

TAndersonV11 commented
            03-07-2019, 02:45 PM
            Editing a comment

When will the SNELL 2010 rating expire? Is APBA going to the 10-Year motorsport standard or 15-year? Not expiring on the Snell 5-year schedule is very frustrating. They are 1 year premature to make a change like this. APBA is outlawing these at a terrible time, illogically, and still no firm implementation of the logical 10 or 15 year schedule.

Basically, a lot of people are going to be pissed if their 2010 that they have just bought goes out of date in 1-2 years too.

Please pick a path, name dates, make it clear.

• Flag

Brian 10s

Comment

Thanks Brian! Does a board member have an answer??? I’m sure a few of you check this site from time to time!
            Joe Silvestri
            CSH/500MH

Dominic Silvestri
            JH/JR

Comment

Joe, I believe the snell ratings is a requirement by the insurance company, I could be wrong but i believe it's not up to the apba . Although it sucks buying new helmets (I had to buy one this year too) the apba has made it very clear over the last few seasons that certain snell ratings would be in the last year of use , so it isn't exactly fresh news

Comment

Thanks Eric. I understand I can’t wear a helmet for ever nor do I want to wear one for ever. I’d like to know why the original obsolete date was arbitrarily changed and more importantly what is the time table for the 2010’s and 2015’s. If I were to purchase a 2010 will it be obsolete next year? I can find those on close out at a really good deal and they are really good helmets but??? As I see it, I’m either missing something in the rule book or there is no obsolete dates for the current legal helmets. How does someone know what they are buying is worth the money without an obsolete date. APBA board please advise and complete the current rule with a chart/formula/etc...
                Joe Silvestri
                CSH/500MH

Dominic Silvestri
                JH/JR

Comment

By the way, I’m also trying to get an answer from within APBA and not simply on this forum complaining. Just trying to get to the bottom of this and get some clarity.
                  Joe Silvestri
                  CSH/500MH

Dominic Silvestri
                  JH/JR

Comment

I have a sheet from APBA Safety committee original date 4/16/2015 and updated in 10/1/2015 that shows the head and neck restraint labels.
                    I downloaded this document at the beginning of last season and it clearly states that the Snell 2005 would not be valid after 12/31/2018. Although the document does not appear in the current safety section, the helmet spec is consistent with information that has been available.

Comment

How long is my SNELL 2010 good for?

Comment

Working...
                      X