What type of hull do I have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What type of hull do I have?

I see the picklefork style and the runabout style all the time but not many pictures of my style.

You have what we normally call a ''shovel-nose'' hydroplane. They began to be antiquated in about 1972 when Tim Butts introduced his ''pickle-fork'' design. Tim's idea (among many) was that reducing the amount of front deck and bottom would reduce the possibility of blowing over backward. Tim's father was an aeronautics engineer. Whether Tim actually ''invented'' the design, I don't know, but he was certainly a pioneer of the design.
    Last edited by dwhitford; 04-11-2019, 10:54 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I was told by a credible source that this was probably an early 60’s boat that would run in the D class. Did they run any other motors on these besides the 40hp and up 4 cylinders?

Comment

Originally posted by Special K View Post
        Thanks for the reply. I was told by a credible source that this was probably an early 60’s boat that would run in the D class. Did they run any other motors on these besides the 40hp and up 4 cylinders?
        At the time no, not really. If you're looking to be period correct you need a Mercury with the quicksilver lower unit. Fortunately those are available if you look around. The 40H and 55H models are what you are looking for, you can find them for around $2,000 for a running one, $2500 for something that is very nice. These boats are not toys, properly powered they go more than 70 mph. They weren't designed to be used where wakes from pleasure boats are present and hitting a powerboat wake wrong at speed could considerably foreshorten ones life.
        If you are thinking about using this as a fun boat on a local lake please be careful and use proper safety equipment including a proper racing life jacket and a helmet. There are some AOMCI events where you can use it safely, and you might look into that.

Comment

I’m not sure I will actually ever use it at the rate I’m going and with the good info I am gathering to try to make the boat what it’s supposed to be. But if I do get it out, fortunately there are some days here that the lake is smooth as glass and stays that way for hours with no other boat activity for miles. But other days not so. And I do know I need a different lower unit and mid section to be period correct. That’s my big hold up. I am actually talking with a guy tomorrow that I stumbled on that is with the local antique outboard club and said there are a few local guys that have hydros and may be able to help me or convince me I should stick to my vintage motocross hobby.

Comment

Going fast on the water is ‘Way’ different than than ‘land’ racing.... Just keep that in mind. All the safety equipment is essential..... Helment, Racing Lifejacket, safety ignition cut off switch..... ie kill switch.... etc etc etc. also cut resistant suit... propellers spinning are obviously very dangerous.....You might just want to stick to motocross. Just my FYI and thoughts.

Whatever you choose..... The most important thing is to have fun. For a water experience.... maybe rent a Jet Ski.... some of them will go 60mph or more.
            sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

The jet ski thing is not for me. There’s a half dozen of them on every road in our area and we grew up riding them all the way from the stand up ones in the 80’s. I just stumbled on this boat a few years ago and got the boat in great shape and a running mark55 service motor and parts motor with it for $300. Thought at the time I couldn’t pass it up. I was just curious of what the style of hull was actually called by you guys in the know. I’m no stranger to boats or being on the water. I’ve lived 7 houses from the lake for the whole 46 years I’ve been alive and grew up boating with my grandparents at heir place on lake Chautauqua. my brother is a certified jet ski mechanic but he knows nothing about vintage boats or racing, just the new stuff. I very much appreciate the advice and didn’t realize the dangers of this boat may be more so than any other boat or a jet ski. If I run it with the service motor I got with it I’m hoping I can get a feel for it and decide if I’m still as enthusiastic about it as I once was.

Comment

• dwhitford
                dwhitford commented
                Editing a comment
                It looks like you have the rig in really good shape. Good on you! My comment about the service (''fishing'') gear case is that it is not only slower than the racing Quicksilver gearcase but can also degrade handling to quite a degree, especially if you get enough air under the boat to get it airborne as a hydroplane is supposed to do. Be careful!.

Yes the motor sits pretty high. The transom has sections on it that can be removed for shorter lower ends.

Comment

In a book published in 1975, "Speed & Spray" The Story of Stock Outboard Powerboat Racing there is a boat, pictured on page 35, that looks exactly like yours...not in color but in shape and construction. The photo, taken at the 1974 nationals in Dayton, Ohio, shows that Bezoat proudly wearing US-1.

The spade-type shovel nose was a distinguishing feature of Bezoats, a feature clearly visible on your hull. Likewise, the graceful wood nacelle forward of the steering station is another Bezoat trademark seen on your boat.

About Bezoats.... They were designed and built by Shanon Bowman, a many-time National champion who was born into boat racing.
                His father was the legendary boating writer, Hank Bowman, and his brother, Craig was a very successful Stock Outboard racer as well.
                Shanon apprenticed at Sid-Craft boats in New Jersey before starting his Bezoat building venture. Incidentally, Shanon's brother Craig, would go on to build the race-winning Broccoli runabouts.

BeZoat hydros were fast (and very popular in the East), with most of them competing in BSH, 25SSH and CSH.
                It has been written that a Bezoat CSH, powered by a 4-cylinder Mercury Mark 30H, was Shanon's favorite ride.
                It could be your hull is a CSH, not a "D". Whatever the case, you have a beautiful boat who's designer/builder is an important part of the history of Stock Outboard racing.

Perhaps someone within the reach of Hydroracer.net could shed some light on the differences between a C and D Bezoat, helping you determine the proper power for an accurate recreation of this iconic boat.

Good luck. Have fun. Be safe.

Comment

Wow. Just the info I have been looking for. The boat of course was not yellow when I got it. It was a dark red with black racing stripes of some sort that I do not recall exactly. It was definitely set up to race at some point and was in very well cared for condition. Needed no work what so ever just added my own taste of paint work and personal touches. The transom no doubt shows that it was once much lower for a racing motor. Not sure at this point which direction to go with it but it sure looks cool and is in better than fine condition. Someone sure liked it to keep it under cover and out of the elements because damage or rot was zero of a problem. Maybe my $300 wasn’t wasted after all.

Comment

Would sure like to see the photos from that book but cant seem to locate anything on the net.

Comment

I did read that the rear woodwork on a bezoat is usually in the shape of a reverse B as mine is. It said they where raced a lot in Indiana, Illinois, Michigan. I bought the boat from a man of few words on the Indiana Illinois state line.

Comment

I would guess at this point in time "Speed & Spray" is kind of rare.
                        I think it was only available in paperback. Published by Stackpoole Books of Harrisburg, PA., the publication date is shown as 1975.
                        The author was Rusty Rae, a racer, and the photos were from Reid Blackburn.
                        The 176 page book was a look into outboard racing, focused on the 1975 Nationals at Dayton, OH, an event with 834 entrants!
                        See if Amazon can help you find it through one of their used book sellers.
                        Maybe the Harrisburg publisher is still extant and can help.. There must be some more out there.
                        If you can't find one, let me know. I will scan a couple of the most relevant images and send them to you.
                        Keep digging. Good luck.

Comment

• Special K
                          Special K commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Cant find anything as far as photos for a bezoit hydro and this thread has run dry.sure would like to see some evidence that my type of hydro was really a competitor.

• Special K
                          Special K commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Still can’t find a thing on bezoit hydros or a copy of the book with the pictures

Found on Amazon. $80.00 used to $344.00 new. Spendy little bugger. Googled Speed-N-Spray by Rusty Rae

Comment

Originally posted by Special K View Post
                          I see the picklefork style and the runabout style all the time but not many pictures of my style.

Would like to see the bottom of your hydro including the sponsons. The weight would also help a lot for your plans.
                          "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
                          No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

Working...
                          X