No announcement yet.

Jesup D Stock Hydro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To get a boat that's wide enough and long enough, it has to have more expensive materials than wood. Foam board and aluminum honeycomb and the really expensive carbon fiber. Then there is the American diet that has Americans heavier. To attract people to our sport we can not exclude those that are in the 200 -240 lb range. We had a new wood boat built for the Tohatsu, Braxton weighted 177 at the the time. Not even wet, he weighted in a new boat at 505 lbs which is 25 over weight. To lower the over weight of the boat, you are forced to use 3 mil. On the top, or use the expensive components mention above. Just makes sense to increase the weight in the class to make the class more afordible.

Comment

This issue came up last year for the SORC to consider................the D Class powers to be wanted no part of raising the weight even though most of the current Tahatsu drivers weigh in at like 515 and higher. The class weight is currently 480 i believe for the DSH. Feel free to reach out to your favorite SORC rep for more info.
      Last edited by Matt Dagostino; 02-04-2019, 09:38 AM.

Comment

New Pistons for a Mercury 40 cubic inch block. I am in final talks with Wiseco about makeing pistons for me. Going to make standard, +.020" and +.040". Pistons will be two ring configuration and coated. If there is any interest in acquiring some let me know.

Comment

Easy Howard... easy there old sot...hahahaa The nice part about keeping the weight at 480 is that I never have to worry about being light on the scales. Same goes for the majority of my diminishing circle of friends. And, young Bobby O'Connor doesn't seem to have any problem building inexpensive boats down around 119 pounds that stay together out of the same wood his Dad used. That goes for our swamp dweller friends down in NaBRA country.. not too many lightweights down there. However, I have noticed a few women who would absolutely be a threat weighing in at 480, but they're all too busy running mods or alky classes. Stocks are just made for us guys who want to have fun.

Comment

• Hydro doc
            Hydro doc commented
            Editing a comment
            At 119, does that include hardware?

Originally posted by ram95 View Post
          Easy Howard... easy there old sot...hahahaa The nice part about keeping the weight at 480 is that I never have to worry about being light on the scales. Same goes for the majority of my diminishing circle of friends. And, young Bobby O'Connor doesn't seem to have any problem building inexpensive boats down around 119 pounds that stay together out of the same wood his Dad used. That goes for our swamp dweller friends down in NaBRA country.. not too many lightweights down there. However, I have noticed a few women who would absolutely be a threat weighing in at 480, but they're all too busy running mods or alky classes. Stocks are just made for us guys who want to have fun.
          when and if you ever spin out in a corner, and have another boat T-Bone you, you are going to wish that 119 pound boat had a little more wood on it!

Comment

• ram95
            ram95 commented
            Editing a comment
            Let's see, 850 Mod have a min weight assigned? Re-enforcing the cockpit with carbon fibre makes things pretty tough, doesn't add much weight, or cost. Of course, if we're talkin a 525 min weight we can probably save some money on that rain-forest stuff and use pressure treated SYP and a couple 2x8's.

We owed a D hydro with 3 mil deck. We turned over and the boat came apart. We sold the boat when we had a boat with a 4 mil deck built. The next driver turned it over and it came apart again. I concluded that 3 mil deck is not strong enough to hold up under a turn over incidence.

Comment

• ram95
            ram95 commented
            Editing a comment
            Doc...holy mackerel... Better give Bob O'Connor a call.

Want a 120 pound boat that will not come apart??? Call Aero-Marine Design, take a look at what I'm talking about in our ad at the bottom of this forum page, that is a 12 footer that will carry the weight of the motors and still weighs in at 120 pounds, and yes that is with hardware. Yes it is composite and yes it is more expensive that a wood boat, but in most cases you get what you pay for.

Comment

• mercguy
            mercguy commented
            Editing a comment
            Have you changed your layup schedule? I dont see how one could handle a tohatsu ....
        Working...
        X