No announcement yet.

Kill Switch rules and tether safety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In regards to the recent injuries that prompted this change. Was there any wound evidence that would indicate the prop remained spinning at time of contact? If the prop was spinning hundreds to thousands of rpm, I'd expect injuries to range from multiple gashes to chop suey. A non spinning prop traveling 40++ mph through the air would seem likely to result in a nasty, but singular gash?

Comment

We use this! We just use rope and make to length.

Comment

• Dennis Crews
        Dennis Crews commented
        Editing a comment
        Is that a surfboard/wakeboard tether?

• Brian10s
        Brian10s commented
        Editing a comment
        That is what I use - surf/ wake board tethers

The more I think about this the solutions are available, it's just a matter of fitting everyones needs (pretty hard to do). I like the idea of using a longer rope (to start the engine). Also we could do what the aviation world does and use flags. You can't operate the controls without removing a flag. The pitot tube is covered with a "Remove before flying" flag etc. I suppose we could use that system as well. Each boat has a big red flag that keeps the throttle from being advanced as until the shortened kill switch lanyard is in place.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Cofone View Post
        If you really want to stop an engine quickly, in addition to killing the ignition you can also put a flywheel brake on it like they do with lawnmowers. Stops the engine immediately, no winding down, just stopped.

Lawnmower engines that require a flywheel brake spin at a maximum of 3,100 RPM's. If you tried that system on a 2 cycle OB, you would bend rods and maybe cranks.

Comment

Working...
        X