New boats for 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New boats for 2019

Kyle came home from Michigan over GM's Christmas shutdown and started his new 125 Hydro. We started cutting wood last Sunday. Pretty good progress for a week.....

I am making molds do make carbon sponsons to help keep the weight up front light or it would be even further along. I didn't get the benefit of the whole week off like the kid!!!

What else do people have in the works? This is usually a pretty interesting thread...

Steve

Hi everyone! This is my first actual post here, though I have been lurking for a good while.

Not sure if anyone here would be interested, but I'm starting on a Hal Kelly Wetback as a lake toy. Not sure about power yet, but I would like to find something somewhat "period correct" and rebuild/restore it.

I'm not planning on racing it, though I have said that many times about many things and it has never proved to be true yet...

Thanks for having me!

Mike
    Cheers,

Mike

Comment

• ZUL8TR
      ZUL8TR commented
      Editing a comment
      Mike

Welcome aboard. Tried to PM you and not listed in HR data base.

I can give you lots of info on the Kelly Wetback, built and raced one in the 70's in Region 5 in 25ss and 20ss hydro and did well. Ran it with Merc 20H, Merc 25ss and Yamato Y80 . Had personal contact with Hal and discussed much. The avatar hydro is my modded Wetback I raced back then, still use it at AOMCI meets.
      Contact me if interested, happy to help
      Pete
      psushinsky@cfl.rr.com
      407 293 4709

• Special K
      Special K commented
      Editing a comment
      Building something like a wetback or sea flea was my original plan before I ended up with what appears to be a D mod hydro that’s been slow on progress for a few years.

Building a bass-ad runabout! Actually, just a paddle-board using the glue and stitch method. Decided to create a living room situation in the garage for the family to teach everyone how to build. The 5-yo now mixes and rolls out the epoxy quite well; the 2-yo has a great time "painting" wood with water and food-coloring and Jodi only flips me a little crap when I tell her were off to the garage! Final coat goes on today. Next is a a strip-plank surfboard.
    http://vitalire.com/

Comment

• bh/
      bh/ commented
      Editing a comment
      -a 350R 'lay-down' with extreme set-back transom ? -steers with his feet ?

[QUOTE=guedo499;n468430]Building a bass-ad runabout! Actually, just a paddle-board using the glue and stitch method. Decided to create a living room situation in the garage for the family to teach everyone how to build. The 5-yo now mixes and rolls out the epoxy quite well; the 2-yo has a great time "painting" wood with water and food-coloring and Jodi only flips me a little crap when I tell her were off to the garage! Final coat goes on today. Next is a a strip-plank surfboard.[/QUOTE

where do you mount the 700 Konny??
    Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by modhydro View Post
      Kyle came home from Michigan over GM's Christmas shutdown and started his new 125 Hydro. We started cutting wood last Sunday. Pretty good progress for a week.....

I am making molds do make carbon sponsons to help keep the weight up front light or it would be even further along. I didn't get the benefit of the whole week off like the kid!!!

What else do people have in the works? This is usually a pretty interesting thread...

Steve
      Does your son work at the Proving Grounds? I work there!

Comment

Originally posted by guedo499 View Post
        Building a bass-ad runabout! Actually, just a paddle-board using the glue and stitch method. Decided to create a living room situation in the garage for the family to teach everyone how to build. The 5-yo now mixes and rolls out the epoxy quite well; the 2-yo has a great time "painting" wood with water and food-coloring and Jodi only flips me a little crap when I tell her were off to the garage! Final coat goes on today. Next is a a strip-plank surfboard.
        John,

Is it a Chesapeake Light Craft or Pygmy, or plans / kit or what.....? Really cool. I have built stitch and glue sliding seat rowing boats. The stitch and glue technology is really cool. We should / could use this for race boats.
        sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

• guedo499
          guedo499 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi Dean-O!

I bought the kit from CLC; it was a pretty smooth experience. All the pieces were routered out, along with the holes for the "stitches". The directions were pretty solid as well. All the wood that was needed was present, along with the fiberglass, foot pads, epoxy, brushes, gloves, mixing bowls and everything else you needed to finish the boat. The pieces weren't a perfect fit, but that might an over-analyzed as we boat races expect 1/16" precision over a 12' boat. Lots of filler, but everything sanded down just fine.

The surf-board I bought, also from CLC, isn't one of their kits - it is a kit from Grain Surfboards that CLC promotes for them and seems that they are just a dealer of theirs.

I've always thought that using CLC or the like to handle boat kits was a possibility, but I do know many of the builders now are offering routered ribs, etc in their kits which is quite nice. Thing is, when talking to the CLC's Rep, they buy okume by the trainload every month and just as much epoxy. The paddle board, which took 2-sheets of 4mm to make (provided) with shipping and all supplies was around $950 or so (and that's shipping across the country). All in all, I'd say it took the family 25 hours to build and if I were building it, I think I could half-that.

Very cool.... CLC is a top notch company. I purchased my sliding seat rowing boat kits from a company in Bellingham called Wayland Marine. They are a Wherry style rowing boat. I have had three of them. I still have one complete boat plus another kit. Not many places to row them down here in the California desert.

When we talked at the Nationals you were considering doing business down here... are you close to doing that? Be sure to get in touch with me if you come down here.

Thanks, Deano..........
        sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Wait a minute, with the runabout paddle board and a 700 Kony idea came the thought “why go that route, it’d cost too much!” It’s much more affordable and scary and dangerous to build a boat the Thai way! That way there no need for cut suits or helmets. I’ve watched Thai long tail racing vids. All you need for safety is a cigarette.

Comment

New A-AX Hydro for 2019............

Ready for the paint shop

owner wishes to remain anonymous

2nd build starts this evening cutting frames...

Lewis Custom Hydros

J-ASH -1 2019.jpg

Carl Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by mrlou40 View Post
              New A-AX Hydro for 2019............

Ready for the paint shop

owner wishes to remain anonymous

2nd build starts this evening cutting frames...

Lewis Custom Hydros

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n468505[/ATTACH]

Carl Lewis
              Carl,

Very nice.

Deano............
              sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Now that the Holidays and Deer Hunting season is over. I'm making modification's to my Transom so I can use a Transom mounted Thrust Bracket and installing a duck bill on my Hydro. I am also learning the art of profiling Yamato Gearfeet.

Comment

125 hydro construction is progressing so Kyle can get the decks on it over Easter weekend.....

I got the carbon sponsons installed and put on the nose cowling.

Comment

• machinedcomp
                    machinedcomp commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Looks great Steve!

I’m building (again) a B Stock Runabout that I first built when I was 14 years old from plans found in “How to Build 20 Boats”. In the magazine article it was built by Hal Kelly but not of his design. Boat was a ‘Mosquito”. Keep in mind this was 60 years ago! But it was my 1st boat and though it took me 2 years and 200 lawns mowed I raced it in the old Columbus Marathon in September 1961. This is a trip down memory lane for me. I’ll power it with my KG-7Q just like Hal Kelly and let my grandsons play with it. Might spark a boat racing desire in one of them.

Comment

Is it a 125 Mod or a 125 Pro ??

Comment

• Roskowski30h
                      Roskowski30h commented
                      Editing a comment
                      its for 125 Mod

New csh in the works

Comment

Working...
                    X