Yamato Spark Plug Boots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamato Spark Plug Boots

I struggle with my Mychron 3 giving wildly inconsistent RPM numbers on my stock 302 so it was recommended to me to replace the factory spark plug boots with NGK resistor boots. I have purchased the boots. Anyone have experience replacing these? Any tips or tricks or things I need to look out for when replacing the boots?
    "In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress". -- John Adams

Spray some WD -40 on the wire and in the boot. Slide the boot on then put the connector in place and pull wire to get connector seated. Jack

Comment

• Matt Dagostino
      Matt Dagostino commented
      Editing a comment
      Also NGK Resistor Spark Plugs are just as important...BR9ES

Have you tried wrapping around the plug wires and not the boot?

Comment

I have always used the clip that came with the unit that snaps on to the wire itself not the boot. I use NGK B10ES plugs and connect to the top plug wire. I even tried insulating the tach wire with a piece of rubber hose but that did not help. Pav225 are you thinking that since I connect to the wire and not the boot that changing the boots will have no effect?
      l received a PM advising to connect to the bottom plug wire to help eliminate interference from the other
      plug wire so I will try that. I will also order some BR series restrictor plugs as well Matt Dagostino.

Thanks for the help everyone
      Last edited by Dennis Crews; 12-23-2018, 01:06 PM.
      "In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress". -- John Adams

Comment

Dennis,
        We have had good luck with wrapping around the top wire and using the plastic clip...sounds like we are both doing that the same. Maybe our's works because it's a different MyChron model??

Hopefully the resistor plugs work for you. I'd try that before boots.

Y80 boots were very easy to change. I haven't done on 302 but assume it's pretty similar.

- Mike

Comment

Have to use resistor plugs, wires and boots because if you don’t the interferance coming off of the motor components will interfere with your data collection system. You will have more problems with engines that use points than cdi ignition systems because cdi systems all use resistor components. If you don’t use these components on a cdi system you run the risk of damaging other electrical components in the system. This applies to anything that uses cdi, cars, motorcycles, etc.

Comment

Working...
          X