1977 A.P.B.A. KILO RECORD belt buckle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1977 A.P.B.A. KILO RECORD belt buckle

I'm writing an article about belt buckles that were given as awards and I'm hoping someone can educate me about this boat race buckle. The inscription reads: Charles Koontz, JMR 29.681, Kaukauna, WI, 6-5-77.
    What does JMR stand for?
    I searched online and found the records for this race: Category is “modified,” Class is “J Mod Runabout,” Type of record is “Kilo,” Speed (MPH) is “29.681,” Boat Name# is “Kilo-Craft 2-H,” Driver / Owner is “Charles Koontz of Columbus, IN,” Hull / Engine is “Koontz / Mercury.”
    Does “J” stand for Junior? If so, what range of ages were considered junior?
    Was there a limit as to how big a motor?
    How is a “Runabout” different form a “Hydroplane”?
    By reading some of the conversations, I see the experts in the field are here on Hydroracer.net and with your help I should be able describe this award in a way that my readers will find it interesting.
    Thanks, Steve Evans
    www.beltbucklecollector.com

Today the Junior classes are age 9 to 12 for the lowest power and 13 to 15 for a 15 hp engine. The younger kids race the same 15 hp engine but it is restricted down to about 8hp. The Junior Modified class was probably similar then but no longer is run in the Mod category.
    John Adams
    Last edited by GrandpaRacer; 11-11-2018, 09:18 AM.

Comment

• GrandpaRacer
      GrandpaRacer commented
      Editing a comment
      Also, runabouts are flat bottomed boats while hydroplanes are designed such that air is trapped under the boat to give it some lift. The hydroplane is just a little faster.

In the late 70's our J Mod was the same as our J Stock. My runabout was a Mitch Meyer built J and my hydro was a Hedlund. We used the same boats and same merc 60J engine in stock and mod. I believe it was 7.5 horse power. The runabout ran a whopping 28-29ish mph and the hydro was a mind numbing 31-32ish mph. The Shuman brothers from Washington state had the fastest J stock rigs for a few years.

Comment

Thanks for the input. I'll probably use this description in my article for this buckle:

A.P.B.A. KILO RECORD awarded to Charles Koontz of Columbus, Indiana on June 5, 1977. Charles won his boat race as a "junior" (15 years old & younger) with a speed of 29.681 mph, which seems more like 129 mph when driving such a small craft as used in the “Junior Modified Runabout” class. The race was sponsored by the American Power Boat Association and took place on the Fox River in Kaukauna, Wisconsin. This buckle is made of brass and measures 3 ½” X 2 ½.”

My article will appear in Antique Trader Magazine and will feature 30 or so belt buckles given as awards. Other buckles will include a buckle given to a winner of a triathlon, archery tournament, award for bowling, coal miner's safety award, employee years of service, car race participant, and others.
      Thanks for your help,
      Steve Evans
      http://www.BeltBuckleCollector.com

Comment

Is the Koontz belt buckle for sale? I raced with Charlie and his father Carl aka “Chip”. I think I can still get in touch with him in Columbus.

Chip built mean Swanson A and B modified hot rods that could run with the Wearly’s. Very fast.

Bob Koschka

Comment

Holy Smokes, that so cool Bob! No, I don't want to sell the buckle, but please tell them about my project and ask if my description is accurate. Also, I would like to know if there's a picture of Charlie racing the boat that I might include in the article.

Comment

Working...
          X