Remove epoxy & cloth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remove epoxy & cloth

Have a hydro where the bottom was finished with 4-6oz cloth and West epoxy. Is there any way to remove this more easily than sanding it all down? If there is no easier way to do it, any recommendations on how to do it without destroying the plywood? Boat won't be used for racing, so would it be better just to sand it smooth and run it as is?

Originally posted by ScatCat View Post
    Have a hydro where the bottom was finished with 4-6oz cloth and West epoxy. Is there any way to remove this more easily than sanding it all down? If there is no easier way to do it, any recommendations on how to do it without destroying the plywood? Boat won't be used for racing, so would it be better just to sand it smooth and run it as is?
    As you mentioned that you are not going to use it for racing.... except for the added weight that cloth and epoxy adds (the epoxy being the biggest part of the added weight) ... I would most likely just sand it smooth as you mentioned. Depending on the square area of the cloth and epoxy I would estimate the added weight could be 10-20 pounds. If you can live with that... I would just sand it smooth.

Could you post pictures of your project to share with us?
    sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

• Dave Cofone
      Dave Cofone commented
      Editing a comment
      Be careful if you start sanding that you don't break through to the cloth. Once you break into the cloth you will see fraying and then you will be committed to either go all the way down to the wood or you could just recoat with fresh epoxy. Another approach is to find a corner or use an exacto blade to slice into the epoxy/cloth layer and then apply heat from a hair dryer to the area and see if you can pry it away from the wood. This will work it the wood was first coated with epoxy and then allowed to fully cure before the glass and fresh resin is applied.........
Working...
X