2018-2019 APBA Steering Committee Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018-2019 APBA Steering Committee Report

Due to the many changes currently in the works within APBA this year, the Steering Committee made the decision very early in the season not to add new issues or projects to a very busy APBA BOD schedule. Aside from working on the logistics for the seminars at the APBA National Convention in Orlando Fla., we are launching a new project regarding the driver schools for next season.
    We have assembled a team of young, enthusiastic and highly qualified members to kick off a new social media program designed to support all of the prescheduled driver schools for APBA beginning next year.
    The team will be working with Robin Shane acting as the Driver School Coordinator for 2019. By organizing all of the driver schools scheduled for next year, Robin will direct the Social Media Marketing Team to flood the local area of each driver school, in an attempt to fill those classes with potential new boat racers.
    Robin will coordinate with the hosting clubs to meet their participation goals for their school. The marketing team will bombard the immediate and surrounding areas with all of the information necessary to sign up prospects. A by-product of this effort will ultimately inform the community hosting the race for that weekend using the tools that have already been developed by our APBA Promotional & Marketing Committee.
    Although we are only in the early stages of this project, we believe in a very short time we will reap the rewards of this effort. This is just the beginning of many new ideas we have to grow APBA both short and long term.

On another subject. Throughout this racing season, I have heard of many concerns about what the BOD is doing to or for APBA. I’ll tell you what we are doing. We are doing exactly what you the membership has asked us to do. We are upgrading our computer system so that we can deliver better service for all of us, soon we will be able to post race results on our own new APBA website as well as the capability to send the information to other related sites and links. Our new website will be maintained and updated regularly with current events, videos, pictures and results on a timely basis. In the meantime we are also focusing on cleaning up our convoluted rulebook, by-laws, Regional design and job descriptions for many of our officers.
    For many years, through hundreds of discussions and arguments in person and on the internet, I don’t recall any APBA member ever say “APBA is perfect, don’t change a thing”. In fact, it has always been just the opposite, “We need to change the way we operate. We are dying. What we’re doing isn’t working.” Etcetera, etcetera, etcetera. I’m here to tell you, THIS IS WHAT CHANGE LOOKS LIKE!
    I’m very proud to have served on this Board of Directors for the past 2 years. They are the right people, in the right place at this time in our history. Each of these members loves this sport as much as anyone ever has, that is why we do what we are doing. If I am not reelected to serve again, that is fine, I’ll still be here doing whatever I can to help APBA grow and thrive for the next generations. And as Arnold said so eloquently, “I’ll be back”.

PS – I would really appreciate your support with a vote to the BOD.
    John Runne

Originally posted by csh-2z View Post
    Due to the many changes currently in the works within APBA this year, the Steering Committee made the decision very early in the season not to add new issues or projects to a very busy APBA BOD schedule. Aside from working on the logistics for the seminars at the APBA National Convention in Orlando Fla., we are launching a new project regarding the driver schools for next season.
    We have assembled a team of young, enthusiastic and highly qualified members to kick off a new social media program designed to support all of the prescheduled driver schools for APBA beginning next year.
    The team will be working with Robin Shane acting as the Driver School Coordinator for 2019. By organizing all of the driver schools scheduled for next year, Robin will direct the Social Media Marketing Team to flood the local area of each driver school, in an attempt to fill those classes with potential new boat racers.
    Robin will coordinate with the hosting clubs to meet their participation goals for their school. The marketing team will bombard the immediate and surrounding areas with all of the information necessary to sign up prospects. A by-product of this effort will ultimately inform the community hosting the race for that weekend using the tools that have already been developed by our APBA Promotional & Marketing Committee.
    Although we are only in the early stages of this project, we believe in a very short time we will reap the rewards of this effort. This is just the beginning of many new ideas we have to grow APBA both short and long term.

On another subject. Throughout this racing season, I have heard of many concerns about what the BOD is doing to or for APBA. I’ll tell you what we are doing. We are doing exactly what you the membership has asked us to do. We are upgrading our computer system so that we can deliver better service for all of us, soon we will be able to post race results on our own new APBA website as well as the capability to send the information to other related sites and links. Our new website will be maintained and updated regularly with current events, videos, pictures and results on a timely basis. In the meantime we are also focusing on cleaning up our convoluted rulebook, by-laws, Regional design and job descriptions for many of our officers.
    For many years, through hundreds of discussions and arguments in person and on the internet, I don’t recall any APBA member ever say “APBA is perfect, don’t change a thing”. In fact, it has always been just the opposite, “We need to change the way we operate. We are dying. What we’re doing isn’t working.” Etcetera, etcetera, etcetera. I’m here to tell you, THIS IS WHAT CHANGE LOOKS LIKE!
    I’m very proud to have served on this Board of Directors for the past 2 years. They are the right people, in the right place at this time in our history. Each of these members loves this sport as much as anyone ever has, that is why we do what we are doing. If I am not reelected to serve again, that is fine, I’ll still be here doing whatever I can to help APBA grow and thrive for the next generations. And as Arnold said so eloquently, “I’ll be back”.

PS – I would really appreciate your support with a vote to the BOD.
    John Runne
    Words are easy to write why did you not come support the Nationals if your so committed? The opportunity to speak to a large part of the membership appears to be not of importance based on your no show at the Mod and Stock Nationals this year. ????????

Comment

• csh-2z
      csh-2z commented
      Editing a comment
      I missed you too, Howard. Hope all is well with you. I had every intention of going to Moses Lk., I'd been there both previous nationals and enjoyed it quite well.

However this year, my son had to move and find another job and with a new baby his priorities had to change. Without him going to race, I had a difficult time trying to justify the trip alone. With financial struggles always being an issue, I decided the trip would just not be prudent.

FYI. Last year after Refereeing the Stock & J Nationals in Grass Lake, I enjoyed it so much that I volunteered my services as a Referee or assistant for Moses Lake. I was thanked by most of the committee for my offer and told they had everything covered. By the way, Howard, I didn't see you at Grass Lake last year. Come to think of it, I don't recall seeing you at Hinton in 2016, or Wakefield in 2015. I'm sure I could go on further, but what's the point. I guess you just don't care enough to lift a finger for this sport anymore. Say hi to Jan for me, I look forward to seeing her in Orlando in February.
      I hope I've answered all of your questions satisfactorily.

John

• Karl Dyle
      Karl Dyle commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you John ! I would never have made it off the beach without you in Moses 2014

• Big Don
      Big Don commented
      Editing a comment
      All that comes to mind after reading this is, would Johns response be considered as a.....

Mic drop, Boom.

You have my vote John....I can not say THANK YOU enough for what you have done for me
    George Bressler
    522-P

Comment

• csh-2z
      csh-2z commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks George

I'm kind of surprised there has been only a few comments on the text of the original post. Is that good or bad?

Comment

Hi John,

I am looking forward to working with Robin on our racer schools next year. I think this is a great idea.

Bill Pavlick

Comment

John,

What the APBA Steering Committee and Board of Directors are doing is great. Thank you. Keep up the good work.

I would add a project to help increase APBA membership, whatever could be done to accomplish that subject. It’s possible this is already being done but was not mentioned here.

All the Best Regards,

Dean Hobart............................
        sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Thanks Bill & Dean. We have a few projects in mind for next year and beyond. For right now we are going to go with what has been working, driver schools. Enhancing this program with an APBA based social media platform should boost participation exponentially. Currently we are averaging almost a 30% success rate from the outboard divisions. That is awesome and great work by our schools. We've always known, the best way to bring in new people is to get them in a boat, and it works. Now the challenge is to get people to sign up for the schools. Our next issue to conquer will be having equipment to use in the schools and more importantly new and used equipment for sale on the spot. Looking for an entrepreneurial opportunity?

John

Comment

[QUOTE=csh-2z;n46638 . Our next issue to conquer will be having equipment to use in the schools and more importantly new and used equipment for sale on the spot. Looking for an entrepreneurial opportunity?

John[/QUOTE]

This has been a challenge for several years. The HISTORICAL SOCIETY has been donating money for things like new Yamato engines to help the clubs with racing equipment for their driving schools.. Perhaps the push should be to focus that body on funding driving schools in lieu of other projects they fund. In another words if the Driving Schools work (which they do) then let's push the Historical Society to allocate more funds to what is really helping APBA and clubs grow.

Without club racing there is no APBA and driving schools and well funded clubs are what drives APBA.......social media and advertising is all fine and dandy but real nuts and bolts equipment makes the schools and program work! That's where the money needs to go
            Last edited by Matt Dagostino; 09-14-2018, 08:47 AM.

Comment

more importantly new and used equipment for sale on the spot.
              from an outsiders view.....this is a MAJOR issue..... NEW rigs ready to race and buy or people will loose the enthusiasm!
              .........but who wants to start a hydro building business for a dying sport? yikes

Im clearly involved in outboards, racing and boating in general, we currently sponsor an APBA team and I just spent 6 months to complete a new CSH build & Yamato combo for a new team that I will personally manage, because I didnt want to buy a used boat combo that someone was discarding because they needed to upgrade because they were never competitive..... Im not buying old gear people dont want because it wasnt competitive... so there must be more reluctance from people that cant build a new boat or wrench their own motor

send some one to school then tell them it may take up to 6 months to a year to get all their gear together....you lost most of them.

there are other issues I see but I dont care to address and I sure hope the administrators can figure this sport out its a shame to see it consistently dying
              Last edited by JohnsOldMercurySite; 09-12-2018, 09:29 AM.

Comment

JohnOldMercurySite, Why start a boat building business when great boat builders are already out there? You can buy NEW PRO racing outboard engines, props, and boats today. Buy, add fuel GO RACE! Seems simple to me.

Comment

I prefer Runnecraft boats more than I prefer the builder. That's not a shot at John personally, but the highest-compliment on his building skills.

In respect to the organization of APBA, it's clear too me that it is far too flat - too many middle managers. I'm a firm believer that any organization's attitude and success is dictated by the leader. I really think Howie is doing a good-to-great job (time will ultimately tell), but we don't need 50-60-70 commissioners over 11 categories.

Obviously I'm biased to a narrow management style, but with this style, there's one person that HAS to make a decision and make it now - not steering committees to make obvious recommendations to boards that need to be approved by the next board. Racing Schools work - give the power to a dictator and make them work. Check, done. (don't forget to contact me, I'll donate John Adam's Boat Racing 101 book to all Racing School participants).

But who am I to say one way is better? Clearly, as a member-ran organization it's lasted the test of time, and that is worth something.

Local racing is the true APBA experience, but if many of the volunteers are only helping nationally, they're burn-out at the local level. Point is, we don't need ALL the national positions. I believe the BOD recognizes that with the reorganization of the regions, but go further!

Combine categories, rule books (so far, so good - all the rules that I've seen dropped were pretty silly anyways); this would also simplify insurance.

I've had extensive experiences with my local elections: there are 100,000 people that could vote, but there's 2200 individuals that actually vote every time. You don't need to influence the 100,000, only the 2200. Those 2200 almost all are retired, have a great retirement nest-egg, will not change their views, and do NOT vote for the future but for only personal gain (no on taxes, especially schools). Does this sound like APBA boards of the past? I'm not sure, I've never paid attention, I'm just trying to finish a prop in my spare time.

Disclaimer - I'm the guy that showed up to the race, raced 4 classes, didn't volunteer and left early - kids control your life.

John.
                  http://vitalire.com/

Comment

• Wakefield 2015
                    Wakefield 2015 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Very good points Guedo. Bill

A couple of points - yes having brand new equipment just waiting for new blood members is a dream but for us it is somewhat unrealistic. Because it would not matter what brand of boat, make of motor and prop - it will never be as fast as the stuff already on the water. And what class should be sitting there? A J rig, C rig or 500 rig? Or does anyone really think we should stock one of everything? If you aren't interested enough to wait to get whatever equipment you want, then you will not be interested enough to do the hard work to get close to the front or the Super Hard work to beat the best in your class. Because the best are always working - that how and why they are the best. You can name the best of the best - and every one of them WORKS!

As for the overall structure and the management - a very narrow structure works well in business because they are paying. When you rely exclusively on volunteers at every level of the organization (Howie and the BOD all the way down to the guy setting up the course at your local event are all volunteers) you have to provide some level of ownership. Volunteers sign the races, haul the club equipment and work their a$$ off putting on the race. Volunteers also sit in National Meetings trying very hard to put their trailerbox aside and make decisions that will pull each category forward, and not a single one has every gotten faster sitting in a Commission meeting. Without some portion of ownership in the final product, exactly how many are going to continue to do the work?

Disclaimer - Not picking on you John but you are a great example. If you are not willing to put in the work to put on a race, go to the Region or National Meeting then you really shouldn't recommend taking away the only reward available for those that are doing the work, ownership in the final product. Most of us have kids and all of us want to race as much as possible too. We just also understand that if I don't step up to work then no one will. And when no one volunteers, there is no more event, club, Region or APBA.
                  Last edited by Brian10s; 09-12-2018, 01:58 PM.
                  Brian 10s

Comment

I get why things are done they way they are, and one of the reasons I chose go the arduious route starting this new team off with all new equipment. I have seen people begin with used gear only to struggle a whole season only to end up buying new gear anyways and that scenario isnt uncommon in most hobbies or sports
                    I just dont think this sport cant expect too much of an influx of new participants, when in todays instant gratification society you cant google "where to buy a new C Class hydroplane" because there is nothing to buy new......google it .....

then a new interested party may try going directly to APBA's site for direction, & on the apba site on the "new to racing page" Stock Outboard Racing This is one of the most affordable categories in the APBA with used equipment and starter kits available at a reasonable cost. ...........but there is no direction where to buy gear .... or the starter kits?

In this day and age where it's 2 working adults to get by, not everyone has the time to devote to being hands on boat builder/mechanic but can afford to fund a sport for their kid, I know of a couple families that they could easily buy a brand new turn key hydro and want to, they arent mechanics but they would expect to pay an outboard mechanic for work when required, this is currently just not that easy a sport to get into for those that dont have the mechanical aptitude we already have, and so one family has looked into gocart racing and they found everything can be purchased one click & ready to go racing
                    Joe Blow can google "racing gocarts" and get pages of results.....click to place an order for a turn key cart, safety gear etc etc all on the first 3 websites I just clicked...... but then again the gocart sport isnt consistently dying its growing

just saying..... our hobby isnt that easy to get into, and I thought maybe should be looked at differently than as the status quo, seems my the constructive criticism ruffled feathers.....

Michael

Comment

There is no question that growing APBA is difficult. Difficult is not impossible. FYI I just saw the latest stats for APBA did you know the Stock Outboard category has 34 more participating members this year than last year. That is 10% growth in 12 months. We are no longer dying! Do we have work to do? Plenty. Let's do it. When you google "Racing go carts" you are being directed to private businesses. We don't have many people starting boat racing related businesses right now. That is what it would take to fill that void.

Comment

Great to see the focus on Driving Schools!

Comment

Working...
                        X