Attracting new people to racing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attracting new people to racing

Here’s how Seattle Outboard Association attracts people to their New Folks in Boats program.
    https://www.facebook.com/diamondraci...type=3&theater

This booth is at the Seafair H1 race but we also attended large car shows this year. The car shows have been a very effective way to attract people. Not every area has H1 races but car shows are everywhere! Try it in your area.

Comment

Here is the New Folks in Boats Flyer that SOA hands out at the shows along with a 2 sided schedule card. The New Folks Flyers are printed into tablet style so your not picking them all up off the ground when the wind comes up.

Its always hard to select a boat to go onto a promotional flyer so we just use the previous years Club High Point Winner.

Thanks to Penway Media for printing all of our promotional material!

Comment

The results of all this effort were 37 new people showed up, participated in the training and took their first ride in a Hydro at our drivers school at Eatonville last weekend. The training classes and on the water driving lessons took all day Friday to complete. As usual a few even signed up for racing on Saturday and Sunday. SOA has had similar results the last few years.

Comment

Here are some photos of the suit up area where new drivers were fitted in Kevlars. Also new drivers waiting for their first ride.

Comment

Thank you SOA for your hard work promoting the sport!

Bill

Comment

Way to go Seattle Outboard Association........ 37 people.... Wow.
              sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

This is all good and promising, but lets not forget about keeping the boat racers we have. We could start by offering testing at races, a lot of us have nowhere to test, especially us mod guys, do I want to drive hundreds of miles to race hoping my equipment will work! That's pretty discouraging!
                how about lifting the fuel rules? let us burn pump gas, $1.00 plus less per gallon. This may not sound like a lot, but this could help many of us on determining if we are going to travel to races.

Comment

I have not done a test comparing ethanol gas to pure gas but there is less energy in ethanol gas so you would be slower I believe. You bring up an interesting question, Why do people quit racing? I have an opinion but would like to hear others.

Comment

• modsquad
                    modsquad commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm not talking E85 (corn gas) I'm saying regular 87 octane pump gas.

• GrandpaRacer
                    GrandpaRacer commented
                    Editing a comment
                    OK, in our area (Seattle) all our pump gas has ethanol or as you say corn gas. There are some special places like the Grange farm stores or airports that sell ethanol free gas here,

What I meant was...let us use regular unleaded gas 87,90 or 97 octane straight from your local gas station, yes these all have some ethanol in them unlike the racing gas or recreational gas which is ethanol free $$$$ E85 is what we call corn gas, because it is mostly all ethanol 15% gasoline, this you do not want to use(no power)

Comment

• GrandpaRacer
                    GrandpaRacer commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Wow E85 is 85% ethanol. I never use it, thought it was 15% alcohol which is too much in my mind. They must have a powerful lobby.

Testing is a great idea!

I'm not so sure about the gas idea though. You can spend a few hundred in gas to get there and back, $100+ on entry fees, plus food and possibly hotel. Let's say you burn 10 gallons a weekend. ..not sure if the $10 savings will have much of an impact on attracting more racers.

Comment

• modsquad
                    modsquad commented
                    Editing a comment
                    the point is...its one less hassle to mess with, and if we can save $10 a weekend, we can put that toward testing fees

Btw... GREAT JOB SOA!!!

Comment

I just looked it up 10% ethanol and 90% gas has 96.7% of the energy of pure gas/gal. 100% ethanol is 49% the energy of gas/gal.

Comment

E10 kills carbureted engines, it's a slow death. Unless you flushed your motor out with non ethanol after every race (and non ethanol is still a crappy fuel), you'd spend more on carb parts, fuel lines and cleaning out the fuel system than what one would save on cheaper E10 gas.

Comment

This wisdom from an old alky racer: Yes, alcohol has less BTU yield than gasoline. But if you use the "best" alcohol (methanol), it is possible to get more spunk from your engine than from gasoline (less so than with ethanol, but nonetheless, an advantage . . . for example today's Indy cars, which now use ethanol rather than methanol for "health reasons").

Both alcohols yield fewer BTUs than pure gasoline, about half. or as GrandpaRacer says, 49%. What people overlook, however, is how many more calories it takes to evaporate X quantity of methanol than it does to evaporate the same quantity of pure gasoline. It takes twice the quantity of calories to evaporate the methanol. These calories result in a cooler charge. The result is that the charge density of combustible air-methanol mixture in the combustion chamber is twice as dense with the comparable jetting than for pure gasoline.

In addition, take into account that "comparable jetting" is insufficient for properly using a methanol-air mixture. Instead, you need to re-jet to use roughly twice as much methanol as you do using gasoline. That's even more methanol that needs to be evaporated. So the upshot is that you get approx. 4 times the charge density in the combustion chamber when you use methanol-air than when using a properly rich-lean gasoline-air mixture

I've read that you can get approx. a 20% power increase simply by switching a stock engine from gasoline to methanol because of the charge density, with only the addition of advancing the spark timing a little to compensate for the slower flame-front propagation of the alcohol mix.

It's not that alcohol is a super fuel. Quite the contrary. Pure gasoline has more latent power. But the potential for alcohol to increase power has to do with its "latent heat": its ability to soak up calories while evaporating. And hence its ability to increase charge density, which also increases power.

Finally, ethanol and methanol are far more detonation-proof than even the highest octane gasoline, so you can raise compression to almost absurd levels. And more compression means more power.

I suspect that the intent of the rules makers to limit stock engines to "pure gasoline" was (rightly!) to eliminate any of any sort of alcohol from defeating the "sniffers" that inspectors use in fuel testing, and also that any alcohol can mask any of the higher potency additives that can be used in conjunction with alcohols.

So! Y'all get over it and pay the extra premium and inconvenience of buying and using pure gasoline. And save the money you might spend on ethanol rotting gaskets and seals. Or else just go PRO!
                        Last edited by dwhitford; 08-27-2018, 08:40 AM.

Comment

• GrandpaRacer
                          GrandpaRacer commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Good info, thanks! My son’s 700 Koenig hauls on pure Methanol ( and castor oil)
                          John Adams
                      Working...
                      X