No announcement yet.

Outboard Catagory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't understand why a 300 runabout would be so bad. It can't be any where near as bad as a 30H powered runabout. We ran those for years with
    2 blade props, roll up style boats too. I know it can't be anywhere as bad as an antique. That is a bad ride!

We have a 300 motor in our stable. Next time we test, if we have some time, I'll put it on my CSR and try it. My guess is it will do 56 to 57.
    Tim Weber

Comment

Agreed Tim! I’ve said it before, you need a true 25 runabout like Nuch’s boat and at that weight and speed it would be perfect! A CSR is to big and heavy for that speed!
      Joe Silvestri
      CSH/500MH

Dominic Silvestri
      JH/JR

Comment

Speaking of a 300 Runabout class would it be possible to have a Company like Fabbro get involved and build a Spec hull along the lines of a Japanese stadium Racer ?

Comment

We tested ours at CSR weight and at a weight much lower. Top speed was exactly the same, which didn’t surprise me because the prop used in 300 does not have a lot of pitch. Another thing to mention is we did not test various kick-out and height scenarios, but simply ran our standard CSR setting at the legal 300SSH height. Like the 300SSH class (which we have been running for a couple years) you quickly learn that boat you are using is the key to winning in this class and a 300ssr would be no different. Our 300SSH is very fast and the hull is way too small for csh.
          Chris Fabbro 2-F CSR / Carson Fabbro 95-F 25ssr, CSR, CSH, 300SSH / Greg Fabbro 63-F CSR, 25SSR

Comment

So how do feel it preformed using a sealed 300 engine and your CSR hull ?

Comment

• crfabbro2F
              crfabbro2F commented
              Editing a comment
              I believe we could beat 75% of the CSR's with it.

Another class where everything looks the same and goes about the same speed? We wonder why spectators can not understand what is going on at a race, if its the same speed as a csr then run your sealed 300 motors in csr, theres nothing stopping anyone from doing that.
            Johnny Wlodarski III
            24J

Comment

Maybe we could run a 300ssR "demo" race at the end of Wakefield next year. It would give everyone a chance to see how they run and to guage interest in the class.

Comment

While in theory a sealed runabout class makes sense...is there really the "need" for it? And can we really afford to add yet another class to an already over crowded class structure with limited drivers?

Yamato availability isn't exactly a non-issue. Its already tough enough to out fit 300H, CSR, CSH and 20ssH with new motors.

The smartest answer would be a sealed 20ci SW class. Talk about a great ride for the medium/larger driver. Much, MUCH better than any Yamato runabout ride. Plus supporting a domestic manufacturer. And it gets more engines out there for the used market...helping the other SW classes. But then again, supplying SW engines on demand is not happening right now either. I just spoke with someone waiting since last fall for an 'A' SW. Really?

And to add to all of the above...this idea that the spec/sealed class has leveled the playing field is not really holding true. The same driver has won the Nationals 4 years in a row. Watch the races....Team Racecraft and the work-a-holic Team Pavlick are waxing the field. They've worked to overcome the variables of prop and engine with tremendous boat work. Same would happen in a runabout class. Someone would figure out how to gain an edge.

People have a better chance at winning in some other class. Look at the results. They don't lie. Yes, you have to spend some money and time on props. Once you have the engine blueprinted...there's no more work/money to spend. From there, get props and test. These sealed classes look to require very specific boats...how much do they cost? Not free by any means.

Comment

I just posted about this where John Adams made the point about the Yamato being a totally sealed engine so I’ll reiterate my thoughts here. Yes there is to much class saturation. If the spectators have a hard time following it, then how do you sell it to a potential new participant? Because this is where new people come from. Now I totally agree that the SW engines should be the spec engines, they are CNC machined and have much tighter tollerances. Now another point to be made, the manufacturer controls engine spec changes not the SORC, so you get rid of the bias there. I had suggested to people close to the SW program before to go talk to those involved with the Unlimiteds and see if you could strike a deal and drum up sponsorship to create an A and B stock series similar to the Merc Challenge Series. New blood comes from the grassroots level, think of Aaron Salmon right now in Unlimiteds, started in the J stock program, went to CSH, then to Unlimiteds. The engine is American made, perhaps an engine sponsorship could be used to lower the initial buy of the engine and deal with the current issues with these engines. With the SW you get a motor that you do nothing to it, no blueprinting, put it on a boat and go. I’ve seen a multitude of combinations win in B. Much more drivable ride and enjoyable with a SW engine. Boat racing in general needs to get on the same page and think about the big picture. It really hasn’t changed in decades.

Comment

Simple solution....lets just race 500mod hydro and runabout, 750 mod hydro and runabout, lots of noise and action and you will see the crowds come!

Comment

Working...
                    X