Outboard Catagory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pav225 View Post
    300ssH has really taken off, why wouldn't 300ssR?
    We are locked and loaded lol!
    Chris Fabbro 2-F CSR / Carson Fabbro 95-F 25ssr, CSR, CSH, 300SSH / Greg Fabbro 63-F CSR, 25SSR

Comment

Chris,
      Not to put you on the spot, but if 300ssR ever got rolling, I think we should consider having the same molded boat for everyone. You guys would be a great choice for that.
      - Mike

Comment

• Flatiron
        Flatiron commented
        Editing a comment
        I Think that's a Great Idea. What's the weight on a fully rigged CSR Fabro ?

• crfabbro2F
        crfabbro2F commented
        Editing a comment
        Mike, that is definitely a possibility. It was a very good ride in testing last winter.
        A rigged hull without engine ranges from 125-140lbs.

The 300ss class needs to be fixed now. It is supposed to be an equal performance class because it is sealed. This is a joke and the old time racers know it. Have you wondered why old time racing teams can still win when the motor is sealed and the props are all the same? Well, the mag, the head, the foot, and the carb are not sealed! Each can contribute to a speed advantage within the current specs and the SORC needs to fix this. Very tight specs are needed with go no go testers or the class will continue to not live up to its goals and the “fast guys” will keep winning.

Comment

• Joe J
        Joe J commented
        Editing a comment
        In my opinion, the boat is the key difference. This comes from both a conversation I had with Brian T at Moses, and the fact that I am on my third boat in the last three years looking for the right one.

Joe

• GrandpaRacer
        GrandpaRacer commented
        Editing a comment
        As the motors come from Japan they are EQUAL! The racing commission there knows what they are doing and those motors are equal. When sealed they are equal. But our specs allow parts to be modified, that is a big error and needs to be fixed. This class was intended to remain stock, ie equal.

• deeougee
        deeougee commented
        Editing a comment
        You nailed John! Funny the stadium racing in Japan uses identically prepared engines and people bet on the drivers. It’s a multibillion dollar business! The big question is why are we modifying these new reconditioned engines once they arrive here if they were all good enough for a multibillion dollar industry? I had suggested before to people close to the SW engine program that they go out and seek sponsorship to back the engine through the Unlimiteds and create a series like the Merc Challenge to promote their engine classes and promote stock outboard racing. New blood in boat racing comes from the grassroots level, think Aaron Salmon started in the J program, then CSH, now Unlimiteds. I think the SW is a better engine because of the tight CNC specs and the manufacturer controls all spec changes not the SORC, the engine is American made, it’s a good sell. It’s a few self serving people that aren’t looking at the big picture and doing what’s best for the whole. It’s always been that way.

I know this is just talk and Brain storming different classes. But I have a few questions.
      1st why would you wanna take entries away from CSH by adding a CSH lite class ? With Yamato engine availability being a complete nightmare why add classes that use that engine ?

Comment

let the mod guys run regular pump gas, $1.50 a gal cheaper!

Comment

• mercguy
          mercguy commented
          Editing a comment
          We have the same fuel restrictions as the Stock classes.....

We are mods, so why the gas restrictions?

Comment

If the 300ssr was a rough ride, what are the thoughts a spec/ sealed sidewinder 20s runabout class? By far one of the best rides out there on either the hydro or runabout.
          Johnny Wlodarski III
          24J

Comment

• Big Don
            Big Don commented
            Editing a comment
            My understanding is the manufacture was not interested in a sealed engine class.

I was told just the opposite by various experienced Drivers that said they have tested 300SSR and thought it was a good ride.

Comment

300SSR, I think a lot of people figured it would be like the old 80 runabout ride. Which I was told, was horrible.

300SSH has had some success (I say some because I do have concerns with 30SSH), we should consider getting more info from the guys who have tested 300 runabout and figure out if that is a class we should consider. But in doing that, 2 other things have to be address.

Engine availability being #1.

#2 being, what class do we get rid of before we add another class?
            "Ask anyone, I have no friends. I do have some people that put up with me and mostly because they like the rest of my family"

Don Allen

Comment

• CSR4C
              CSR4C commented
              Editing a comment
              I raced 20SSR from the start of the class to the end, once I built the proper boat it was a great 60 mph ride.

Bob K brought up the issue of making financial ends meet. I get it...been a club Commodore/Race Director...I know the numbers that have to be achieved to put on a race and for a club to sustain financial health.

But there are solutions...and most importantly...what we have been doing for the past 20 years is not working and the ship continues to take on water very slowly.

First...the classes that keep hanging on by a thread aren't contributing much at all to the financial health of any club or the National organization. In many cases, they don't show up to races...and if so...contribute 6-8 entries over an entire weekend.

Worst of all...they are dragging us down. No one pushes a new driver into AMH, AMR, 25Mod H, DSR, etc.. We want new people to flock to classes that have a future...so they will stick around long term.

Now...say we have new drivers in sustainable classes...but they only get their 2 heats a day/no testing...waiting around for 6-8 hours to race because we've got 40+ heats to race because of ALL the classes that need to run. How appealing is that? Think about it from their perspective. Would you be chomping at the bit to sign up for a sport like that?

Hell, raise entry fee $5...offer some testing...and maybe a 3 heat format. Do SOMETHING to reverse the slow leak in the boat. The status quo isn't working....and the vast majority of the old timers even realize this...let alone the younger drivers.

I see a hell of a lot of $100k motor homes in the pits. I think a $5-10 entry increase is not asking too much if you get more water time.

Comment

• modsquad
              modsquad commented
              Editing a comment
              TESTING!!! We need testing, Dayton record runs for example, NO TESTING!?!?! We are not driving 450 miles with no testing.

• Black Sheep
              Black Sheep commented
              Editing a comment
              Spot on Dana! Running fewer CLASSES per day by the race committees and adding and extra heat per class and possibly some testing sure would be more appealing for an added 10 bucks a day.
              I figure any out of town race within my region is about $500 a weekend. If I can get an extra heat per day plus testing for another 20 or 30 bucks a weekend? Hell yeah!
              I typically run one class a day, so $500 for 4 heats a weekend is $125 per heat, and 6 heats would be less than $90 per heat and I get a few test laps for free! I just wanna play with my raceboat...

Add another $0.02...

Originally posted by pav225 View Post
            300ssH has really taken off, why wouldn't 300ssR?
            I proposed and tested this a few years ago after the first year of 302 SSH, yep remember when it was called that? Trying to keep the same motor and prop as the hydro class so a novice driver could just bolt and go on the runabout, and well, it was a terrible slow, painful ride.
            When it comes to boat racing and the wife, it's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is permission, and of course I spent a number of nights sleeping on the couch!

Comment

Originally posted by guedo499 View Post
              Outboard Category:

Remove 45 – it’s an OPC class
              Remove 20ssh – see below
              Remove 25ssr - redundant
              Remove the 200ccH/R (the Hotrod Mod) – local class
              Remove 400cmH – local class
              Remove 175cch – no one make s 175 motor, just 125s stepping up
              Remove OSY 400 - redundant
              Remove one antique class – pick one, the one with the most cranks left
              Remove k Pro – match up age for ASH
              Remove 700cch – 1100 is plenty
              Remove 500cch – 1100 is plenty
              Add CSH Lite (400 lbs with a restrictor)
              Remove 750cmR (will run with 850s with no weight) – same ETs

Hall can be base off what the inboard category does – only AWESOME seasons get in, not just the top three, just because.

Cut the commissioners by 2/3rds.

Combine rule books.

Have fun.
              Should finish outboard off.

Comment

• modsquad
                modsquad commented
                Editing a comment
                REMOVE rev (shim) sticks from J hydros and runabouts this could save up to a hour of no planning and restarts, let the kids go out and have fun!
                Last edited by modsquad; 07-31-2018, 10:39 AM.

• Big Don
                Big Don commented
                Editing a comment
                I'll admit I have not been to many outboard races in the last 3 years, but is this still an issue with the set-back rule change?

• bmitch1
                bmitch1 commented
                Editing a comment
                Big Don... this is not an issue since the J committee enacted the one inch setback.

Not to be the one to be against the one size fits all ideas put forth here (didn't know the silly season started this early) but everything that is listed can be done already. There is no need to change the National Categories or Commissioners. All that is needed is a club to step up and put only those classes on the sanction and then tell the drivers that the entry fee will be determined based on the number of entries. You only want 6 classes and run 3 laps per heat, test from 10-12 then race from noon & done at 4- no problem. List it on the sanction and go do it. Do you want a 300SSR - come up with a set of rules and run it as a local class for local points.

What I am saying is if all these ideas are the next development in the Sport - convince your friends and your club to implement them. Cherry pick the best classes and only put those on a sanction. See who shows up and how the bills get paid. If it works, keep doing it.

Brian 10s

Comment

• Wakefield 2015
                Wakefield 2015 commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you Brian! Things change when people take action and do something. A post here on HR.net or on some social media platform does NOTHING. Don't care how good of an idea it is. Like Brian says above - do it at the club level first then show the world how great it is.

But bump
              spider pig, spider pig, spider pig does what'ever a spider pig does.

Comment

I just think that the Commissions should be putting out a Buffet and the clubs should be able to take as much or as little as they want. And those same clubs should be able to "promote or push" whatever classes fit their area. The idea that if we kill off these 10 classes, that will make these other 10 that much bigger has never worked. If it was only that easy. If everyone wanted to run 20 & C, they all would already. Guess what, most Drivers do not want to run C & 20 and killing their class will just drive them away not convert them. Now if each Commission wanted to set certain levels of participation for High Points, Nationals and HOC, that is perfectly acceptable as well.

The reality is most clubs need every single entry they can get. We have tried just about everything: running 3 days over 2, 3 heats for the biggest classes, Friday testing and tow money - and there is not magic solution. Doesn't matter what you try, there are some will not like it. A free 3rd day race, 1/2 the entries signed up. 3rd heats for selected classes - give them to the J's, we don't want to run again today. Testing - don't want to hurt my motor. Tow Money - that's nice but . . .

Last edited by Brian10s; 08-01-2018, 12:15 PM.
                Brian 10s

Comment

• Wakefield 2015
                  Wakefield 2015 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Again, thank you Brian! Bill P.

• GrandpaRacer
                  GrandpaRacer commented
                  Editing a comment
                  For many C and 20ss are too scary. 12 boat heats dominated by the racing elite doesn’t leave much fun for for about 6 of them. That is why 300ss was such a good idea until the elite moved in and took the fun away from the new guys.
              Working...
              X