Springfield, OH - new race site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Springfield, OH - new race site

As you may know, Marine Racing Club was chosen at the 2018 APBA annual meeting to host the combined stock and junior outboard National Championship races in 2020. The site is the lake at the Clark County Fairgrounds in Springfield, Ohio.

You may also know that the OPC category ran the inaugural Springfield F1 Grand Prix at this site in 2017 in front of an overwhelmingly enthusiastic crowd. APBA Vice President Chris Fairchild was integral in securing the site, and is currently working with all involved parties to establish Springfield, Ohio as the premier venue in the United States for all forms of boat racing and water sport.

Fairchild and the Clark County Fairgrounds have graciously invited MRC to participate in the 2018 Springfield F1 Grand Prix to run a stock/modified demonstration in between heats of F1 action. The end result of this demo is bifurcated in that: 1) It exposes the established F1 fan base to a completely different style of outboard racing; and 2) It allows MRC the opportunity to see the Springfield site firsthand and test the waters—so to speak—as a run-up to a 2019 club race and 2020 Nationals.

And here's where we need your help.

The 2018 Springfield F1 Grand Prix is Aug. 11-12, and we are asking for as many CSH and 750MH rigs to make the trek for this demonstration opportunity. Entry fees are $10 per class per day. Points will be awarded; where this is a demo for the fans, these are actual, sanctioned races for these two classes.

Please appreciate that we are working under a very tight deadline and need to let OPC know ASAP how many trailers to expect in the pits. Please let me know by Friday, July 13 if you are able to take advantage of this opportunity, and what you will be racing.

Thank you.

Bill Pavlick

Bill..............keep me in the loop. I may make the trip if things line up for CSH. Thanks for all the hard work. So i assume CSH and 750mh are the only kneel down classes on the schedule? Matt

Comment

Bill, I’m in for CSH and I can be your mod inspector if needed.
      Joe Silvestri
      CSH/500MH

Dominic Silvestri
      JH/JR

Comment

Bill,

Pretty good chance I'll be there for at least one day.

Comment

FYI - this race location holds major opportunities for racing in the midwest and for national-level events. The lake itself is 116 acres of usable water surface, with an average depth of 18-30' as a former quarry. Several tons of gravel were recently poured on the edges of the lake to support roll-in/out access for small boats on hand trailers (the Solar Cup for collegiate competition is also held at this site).

The lake itself is managed by the adjoining fairground but is complete surrounded by its own protective fencing and gate making managing the hot pit relatively straight-forward. There is a shelter house already constructed in the lake enclosure for driver meetings. The fairgrounds is a regular host to large weekend events and has support/service available for traffic management, concessions services, and permanent restrooms. In addition there are 480 campsites with 30/50 amp service on the property, plus dump stations.

Locally there are at least 8 hotels (major chains) within 5 miles of the lake, and 15 minutes drive to retail services such as the Walmart Supercenter, Lowes, Home Depot, CVS pharmacy, Kroger grocery. The property is geographically proximate to several major cities... Dayton, OH: 20 miles, Columbus, OH: 45 miles, Cincinnati: 85 miles, Indianapolis: 135 miles, Pittsburgh: 225 miles, Chicago: 315 miles

This exhibition race will have us located close to the 'midway' where we can be visible to the tunnel boat spectators; however, as we look at this site for dedicated kneel-down racing we will find over 6 acres of flat, grassy, well-drained area that can be used for pit space (compared to the average 3-4 acres we've had a other National Championship sites recently). A regular kneeldown course approaching 1 mile with 5-6 buoy turns is completely feasible. In addition, the local promoters are extremely interesting in hearing from us about what we can do to make affordable boat racing accessible on a regular basis for this site.

Thank you Chris Fairchild for helping us make this connection - it is up to us to make a good show!!

Comment

Cool... This sounds like a great venue and opportunity. Good luck to all. Let us know how it all went.
            sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Is on site camping allowed ?

Comment

Possible I might make it to help out also but need to know if RV camping will be allowed in the pit area ?

Comment

Working on getting all the info together asap.

For those interested in going, please email me at bpavlick125v@gmail.com

I will be sending out updates via email too.

Bill

Comment

There will be RV and tent camping. Please email me at the above address and let me know when you are arriving and whether you are tenting or RVing. RV's will be on site but not right next to the hydro pits. Close enough though. I will explain the details in a reply email.

Bill Pavlick

Comment

• Dparker
                      Dparker commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Bill,
                      Been having problems with sending emails for some reason, I have forwarded an email to you please let me know if you do not get it.

Got it Dan. Thank you.

Bill

Comment

Here is the general layout of the facility. The OPC course is big, so we will use a portion of it for the hydros. Ignore the "Finish Line" on the right, that was from last year. This is great chance to promote the sport at a site that wants to host boat races. Come on out and have some fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Wakefield 2015 View Post
                        Here is the general layout of the facility. The OPC course is big, so we will use a portion of it for the hydros. Ignore the "Finish Line" on the right, that was from last year. This is great chance to promote the sport at a site that wants to host boat races. Come on out and have some fun.
                        Cool.....
                        sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Bill,
                          Looks like an awesome opportunity and some good competition to me ! Count me in, I will be bringing a motorhome as well. Look forward to any info to follow.Thanks for all your hard work to secure it. 1 CSH
                          Herb

Comment

We have camping arrangements with the site. Please email me directly at bpavlick125v@gmail.com so I can send you details.

Comment

Working...
                            X