Runabout Question........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Runabout Question........

OK. Forgive me. Being a Hydro Driver for most of my Racing career. I have a not so stupid question.( for me anyway) What effect would 2 side fins. One on each side of a Runabout have with turning right and left or handling in general ? Being retired from racing for over 40 years, the only Runabout ( Utility.....LOL ) I ran was in the "J" Class in 1963-65. I then jumped to "A" Hydro then to "C" Hydro. We ran a fin offset on the bottom of the "J" at that time. Really curious. Any constructive help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Cookie_13B; 06-13-2018, 06:01 AM.

A quick flip, most likely. Same reason you don't turn right in a hydro.
    Dane Lance
    700-P
    CSH/500Mod

Comment

• Cookie_13B
      Cookie_13B commented
      Editing a comment
      How can you get a Runabout to turn right ? Any thoughts ? This is for an out of Country race with no rules on boat design. How about an electric motor to control 2 outside fins. One on each side. To be engaged depending on what the turn is. Left or right ? Have you heard of anyone trying these methods with fins on either side ?
      Last edited by Cookie_13B; 06-13-2018, 08:26 AM.

• Ram4x4
      Ram4x4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Center fin like the marathon runabouts use.

Actually your wrong Ram alot of Runabout Drivers make turns to the right at the end of a race to exit the race course. Nothing like a hydro. I do think a right side turn fin could spit you out pretty easy when making a lefthanded and visa/ versa. Why not go with a standard center turn find like a roll up

Comment

• dwhitford
      dwhitford commented
      Editing a comment
      My vote goes for a center fin too, like on my old 1958-'59 BU.

• Flatiron
      Flatiron commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm really hoping to get some instruction and a chance to drive a roll up before summers end

• Ram4x4
      Ram4x4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, yeah, I turn right in my hydro too, at very low speeds coming into the pits, but I don't think that's what he meant.

If you watch the Top-0-Michigan Marathon videos on YouTube, you'll see guys turning left and right at full speed in runabouts... Center fins...

Comment

The bigger issue for turning right is the weight distribution of the driver and the design of the boat. Everything is currently designed for turning left, so the throttle is on the left to be able to lean to the left. Some boats have offset cockpits favoring weight to the left and some have different chine angles on each side. If everything was opposite you could turn right easily and turning left would be hard. I believe you are asking this in relation to the marathon in south america. I would set up a boat with a soft chine on both sides and possibly two bottom fins set evenly toward each side about 25% in from each side and then set up a throttle setup that would allow the driver to lean equally to each side. You could possibly hook up a throttle on each side in series that would allow you to use the throttle on the side you are turning to. The bigger issue would be getting comfortable with steering with either hand and using a throttle on the right as well as leaning to the right the same way you would lean to the left.

Comment

• justinivie
        justinivie commented
        Editing a comment
        you could set up a throttle on steering wheel like some laydowns. something like a bike brake lever.

Real runabouts are quite capable of turning right or left with a center fin or two bottom fins. Ram is absolutely right, turning a hydroplane or a side-fin boat to the right with a left turning fin is a risky maneuver. It must always be done at lower speeds and with extreme caution. 7b's two throttle idea is interesting, but would be quite dangerous as the driver would have to let go of the steering wheel. The torque of even a smaller engine could make this a difficult approach, especially on anything but glass-smooth water.
      Ryan Runne
      9-H
      Wacusee Speedboats
      ryan.runne.4@gmail.com

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"--Albert Einstein

These days, I find it easier to look up to my youngers than my elders.

Comment

Thanks for all the info. 2 bottom fins sounds interesting. How deep should the fins be ?

Comment

I would use fins about 6 to 8 inches long and 2.5 to 3.5 inches deep. I would shape the fins rectangular and slightly deeper in the front than the back so when the boat is aired out going forward, the bottom of the fin is parallel to the water surface. The actual depth and length would depend on what the driver feels he needs to have the boat perform comfortably for his driving style.

Comment

• Cookie_13B
            Cookie_13B commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the info
        Working...
        X