Roll call for 125 mods at Huntington

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roll call for 125 mods at Huntington

Lets do our best to learn and put on a show with the new 125 mod classes at Huntington on June 2-3. Let us know what you will be running.
    Steve

Any other takers on 125 mod this weekend? We will be there with a 125 mod hydro

Comment

Ken Sugamosto called yesterday. His nephew Josh will be there.

Comment

Is this the first race scheduled for 125? I understand that Dewald make five props for the motor. Are you guys running them?

Comment

• ryanbrew57s
          ryanbrew57s commented
          Editing a comment
          They ran this past weekend at Franklin

• bmitch1
          bmitch1 commented
          Editing a comment
          125MR and 125MH both ran at Franklin. We had a couple Dewalds, some converted KG wheels and I saw both 2 and 3 blade versions leave the beach for racing....

How many boats ran in each class?

Comment

• bmitch1
          bmitch1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Three boats raced in each class and there were two more that had been testing or breaking in on Friday but did not race...

What kind of speeds are you seeing with the hydros and the runabouts??

Comment

56.2 on our runabout (Sorenson Jackal). Franklin is about 1,235' above sea level, and weather was mid-80s and humid. And we definitely have some room to grow as we just got to test the first time Friday, and are still testing props and heights. Also our high speed needle vibrated open so our mix got rich during the run slowing the potential speed. A problem we figured out later in the weekend. I am investigating either a tighter spring or maybe a jam nut.

Other notes:
          OMC converted tower with a VRP foot was a drop-on fit to a Mercury AX style boat...no cutting required. We ran AXR on the same boat a set later with no transom work.

Electric start was really nice to use, warm the motor before racing and/or squirt can as necessary for a cold motor, lift the boat to free the prop, hit the starter, get the motor wound up, rev it 3 times to clear it out and send it.

My driver daughter normally runs AX and 200 classes, and said it was fun to drive....very revvy motor.

Motor break-in seems to be imperative, and we saw 2-3 different strategies so additional testing/use will tell what might be best for our application.

Comment

We will run our 125 Mod at Everett this weekend on a Hydro. We had considerable difficulty getting it to plane out on our jackle. I finally placed the blame on the micro switch delivered with the motor and the way I mounted it. I mounted it to the OMC saddle and at certain rpms there was a lot of vibration! The micro switch couldn’t handle it and turned the motor off. Replaced it with a real 12v toggle from NAPA and mounted on the boat. Bmitch1 thanks for the tip on the jet! We also found a bottle of blue loctite necessary for various nuts and bolts.

Comment

I ended up removing the micro-switch from my harness and tied in my kill switch instead at that location in the circuit. We used an electronic ignition style kill switch (normally closed), tied one end of the kill to the blue wire from the brain box, and the other to the positive side of the battery. Opening that circuit removes power to the ignition.

(Note to the new 125 assembler.... if you use a two-wire trailer style plug to make a removable kill switch connector, be sure to place the female end on the battery side of this method to avoid the risk of shorting the male plug to the motor.... just sayin'.

Comment

I hope we can have a 125Mod class at the Moses Lake Nationals! In Region 10 there are now 2 put together with another 1 under construction and 6 in the box.

Comment

• bmitch1
                  bmitch1 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  We are bringing our 125 out west in July...

• Tom Cronk
                  Tom Cronk commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Why don't you cut the prop shaft to 9/16 ????

Ran the 125 hydro today at Huntington... first prop lagged a bit, second prop (KG wheel) had some zip!! Nate went deck to deck in some great racing with Kyle Roskowski for a couple laps until Nate self-selected our 125 motor for an experimental dunking.

Spun out in turn 2 and ended with a slow motion barrel roll ( you boat racers now what I'm talking about). Boat came in upside down.

So drying out a 125 motor that went in slow....was pretty easy. Pulled the spark plug, drained the fuel tank, starter appeared dry and sealed so, in the interest of advancing 125 science we took the gamble and hit the button. Starter engaged immediately and cranked all the water out of the cylinder. We then started loading the cylinder with WD40.

The Tillotson carb actually appeared dry so we loosely fitted the spark plug, added fresh gas and attempted to start. After repriming the fuel system it fired pretty quickly. Hooked up the portable water pump down at the lake and put some heat in it for a bit (about 20 min) to steam out any lingering water and we will go again tomorrow....no apparent issues.

The entire process was actually way simpler than the Mercury J/AX motors I'm used to drying out....

Comment

Five 125 hydros were ready to race today. It took maybe 15 second for alll five to be on plane and rolling when the green flag went up. (both heats)
                  And then We were treated to some great competitive racing. The race between Nate and Kyle was hardnose deck to deck. Nate as able to prove to us that there is no problem when the hardnose racing turns into a boat being upside down and the motor under water. They would have been able to answer the gun for another heat if the foul had not happened during the second heat.

125 Mod is sure looking like a great class with a very promising future! Good job guys!

Comment

Our 125 Mod ran well in Everett yesterday. Moving the power switch off the motor and into the boat proved to work just fine( much less vibration). Now that we solved that issue we are now working on prop selection. This is made a little harder since our collection of small props are all 9/16 and have to be drilled to 15mm. If anyone knows a trick to easily do this let me know. Stainless steel is difficult to just drill out.

Comment

• GrandpaRacer
                    GrandpaRacer commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Dean Hobart and Lee Tietz told me to press an AL shaft half way in the prop and mount it in my lathe. Then ream it with a 15mm reamer. Then make a new AL holder shaft for the 15mm side and ream the other half. It WORKS!
                    Tom C, cutting the prop shaft down to 9/16 will work too but cutting that hardened surface is beyond my skill set, but that would sure make testing props easier.
                    Thanks for the tips! John Adams

Here is a photo that F Peirce Williams let me share of the action from Saturday at Huntington. It was great to see 5 boats all go out run the race and all finish on the same straightaway. It was very even competition through the whole field. Possibly the closest racing of all classes the whole weekend....

Steve

Comment

• 94H
                    94H commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Was very impressive to say the least.
                    Thanks to owners and drivers who sped up the process to get these boats on the water.

Question can up on whether this was the first official 125 mod race in 2018 - because we had over three entries (5) that started.

Has any club had a legal 125 mod race this year?

Bob Koschka- race director

• bmitch1
                    bmitch1 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Bob. - TRORA raced 125MH and 125MR at Franklin over Memorial Day weekend...

Originally posted by modhydro View Post
                  Here is a photo that F Peirce Williams let me share of the action from Saturday at Huntington. It was great to see 5 boats all go out run the race and all finish on the same straightaway. It was very even competition through the whole field. Possibly the closest racing of all classes the whole weekend....

Steve
                  Very cool and impressive. Hope to see many of them at Moses Lake for the Nationals. This will be a chance to win the First Nationals of these two classes.
                  sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Working...
                  X