Bob Smiley breaks ASH kilo record

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob Smiley breaks ASH kilo record

Bob Smiley broke the A Stock Hydro kilo record at Oroville 5/21 64+ mph. He used the same Sorensen hull that Jack Terrell had owned that held the record.

Congratulations Bob.
    sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Great job, that is a respectable speed. What engine?
      Not familiar with kilo rules is the engine height same as ASH rules in circuit race or run way high, big pitch prop and tucked in?
      "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
      No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

• M Miner
        M Miner commented
        Editing a comment
        I am also curious. What engine was used?

Smiley heading out to the kilo course

Comment

• ZUL8TR
        ZUL8TR commented
        Editing a comment
        Did not know you use a special designed hull for kilo, would that be usable for ASH circuit racing using stock rules?

Originally posted by ZUL8TR View Post
      Great job, that is a respectable speed. What engine?
      Not familiar with kilo rules is the engine height same as ASH rules in circuit race or run way high, big pitch prop and tucked in?
      The 15 cubic inch A Stock Sidewinder. And, in the kilos you can jack the motor up as high as you want and any tuck. Yes, bigger propellers.
      sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Impressive for a 75 year old boy. Even with tuck!

Comment

Congratulations Bob!!
          Very impressive!!

Comment

ZUL8TR,

In regards to your question, ‘would the boat be usable for closed course racing’... No, because a special straightaway boat has less lift, the sponsons are not as deep and does not have a sponson fin.
            sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Here are a few factoids on breaking the ASH record.

Motor is the Sidewinder 15s.

The boat is "Goofy" which is the existing record boat for 200 mod 64.694 set in 10/18/97 at Devil's Lake Oregon with Robert J. West driver and Loyd Mize owner and ASH 62.163 set in 3/6/1999 at Oroville, CA with Shawn Love driver and owned by Jack Terrell. The record is now 64.51 mph, a 3.8% increase to the old record. Last fall Bob Wartinger said, "You need to get Jack Terrell's laydown hydro." I did but it was in terrible shape. So Daryll Sorenson took it under his wing and restored the hull. Fortunately he did not have to replace the bottom so the magic remains. Testing was inconclusive last fall so I used the competition boat and established the 95% record with a poorly trimmed hemp/Smiley hydro.

The first four runs were all above the record and I returned to the pits. The first south run I passed the entrance bouy on the left so that was an invalid run. Water conditions were OK. All passes were in excess of the existing record. Returning to the pits I knew the record was broken which was confirmed when Bob Wartinger waving the red flag signaled to go out and make another run. That was a great decision because the last two leg run was the fastest. Water conditions were outstanding, probably the best of the day for a hydro. The boat was flying over the water, motor reeving the highest ever recorded and it sounded like a midwest severe hailstorm pounding on a wood roof as the hull flew over the water. The scanner operators heard it also. The boat was rattling over the water and bow lifted once in the final run spilling air rocking side to side like Hubert Enthrop's merc 75 in the late fifties. What a ride. Can this be duplicated again? Yes, at Devil's Lake Oregon. It is in the boat, however, everything must be perfect.

According to Bob W., Breaking a record is "like finding a black cat in a dark room with no windows and doors and hope it brushes up against your leg." I believe that to be true. That cat was found Saturday April 21,2018

I need to give credit where credit is due. This is an amazing experience for a man whose 76 birthday occurred two days ago. This is not a one man show. Bob Wartinger has been faithfully mentoring and coaching me, we have had several test sessions since late last summer, his prop inventory is amazing and we are having boatloads of fun. You all know Bob and now I have the privilege of testing with him with our equipment and learning from the best in the world. Also Daryll Sorenson has been immensely helpful and supportive with the boat restoration and guidance. It was my desire to add to the legacy of "Goofy" created by Daryll and Jack Terrill for all the trial and error, testing, solving all the problems to create an amazing ride. Team "Goofy" is now established.

This fall at Devil's Lake should see improvements to this record and hopefully other records as well.

PS. Does anybody have a strong 200 Mod Motor I could borrow?

Comment

• ZUL8TR
                ZUL8TR commented
                Editing a comment
                Great story a lot of prep to do it. What gear ratio and prop pitch was used in the SW ? Any idea of the revs for the record? Any special fuel?

• CSR4C
                CSR4C commented
                Editing a comment
                Lloyd Mize never owned "Goofy", that is a miss print in the record book.

• Fast Freddie
                Fast Freddie commented
                Editing a comment
                Good work Bob!

Yes, a lot of prep. Gear ratio ??? cannot recall but it is stock and passed inspection. Prop? That is our secret. Also the rpm is the highest I have recorded. That too is confidential.Fuel is standard pump gas. Oil nothing unusual a standard synthetic blend. I truly believe any oil is OK. Racing oils etc in my judgement is smoke and mirrors or snake oil. I have never been able to conclusively prove one oil is better than another because there are too many variables involved from one run to the other. Water, boat, prop, motor, and atmospheric conditions.

Comment

The Sidewinder gear ratio is 14:19...... or 73.6%. The same gear ratio as the OMC A motor and the older Hot Rods.

Bob,

I will give the secrets...... The RPM was way, way, way up there and the propeller was a really, really, really good one!!!!!
                Last edited by DeanFHobart; 04-26-2018, 05:09 PM.
                sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

• Smiley
                  Smiley commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Gosh Dean, you had to go and give away all my top secrets.

Bob Smiley

Here's the thing about setting records ... you could tell anybody everything you know and they still wouldn't be able to set the record. That's what makes it so special when you do it! Nicely done Bob.

Comment

This is an amazing accomplishment, Congratulations Bob!

Bob's comments tell of the time and energy that goes into setting records, straightaway or circle; additionally, it shows that with the will, anything is obtainable.

Over the years, I've have the privilege to try to chase just some of Bob Wartinger's records, and now the privilege to chase Bob Smiley's records he set this last weekend. It's one thing to race against a competitor, and it another to race against a competitor your respect, and both Bobs are men who have earned my respect many times over.

Congratulations again, and keep doing your homework! John.
                http://vitalire.com/

Comment

You are very kind John. Thank you.

Bob Smiley

Comment

Here is something to add to the story. Saturday the record was broken. The following Tuesday I turned 76.Thursday the family got together for a potluck, birthday cake and celebration on the record. The high point in the evening was when Robert Tyler Smiley, Grandson, got up and sang a kinda rap song and played his uke. IT WENT OVER BIG. Tyler afterwords said it took him only 15 minutes to write the lyrics. He was encouraged to record in on youtube so you guys can hear it. Has not happened yet so here are the lyrics anyway. If and when it happens; you will be informed here. Enjoy.

Bob Smiley 68 R

=====================================
                    Look, Who is that? Coming oer the horizon,
                    Whoo, he's coming fast, like thunder and a lightning
                    Shoots like a bullet past, what a wonderous sight the
                    Gone, helluva of a swan, sounded like two hailstorms fightin

Old man told me, son, slow and steady wins the race
                    Bold man told me, hear that gun? Be ready to take
                    Gold. holding all things dear, but victory it seems quite clear
                    is gonna be the victor here, so rip that cord, push the boat, watch me go, go, go, and get ready to cheer

Boat revs, nose up, close up, rose up, to get
                    Ahead, focus, focus, the flags red, boats cut
                    In and out a lane, almost on plane,
                    Coast cuz the times not right, almost but

Winds got, the lake riled up, why the
                    heck we gotta get waves, on the race day, but
                    no buts, drivers got throttle full focus
                    Old man/s a bold man, he's gonna show us

Snapshot, pass the line like a bat caught
                    Stealing the devil's cake, cheetahs a mascot
                    Boats hot, rocking like crazy but he's closer
                    Crossing the line, good time, it took effort, check the books,dang, just broke another world record
                    ============================================

Comment

Working...
                    X