Keith Kampen missing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keith Kampen missing

On January 8th I purchased a Tohatsu that was listed for sale on Hydroracer from Keith Kampen. He cashed the check and has failed to make the motor available for the past 3 months. About 3 weeks ago he agreed to give me my $4100 back and an extra $100 for my troubles. It’s been “in the mail” and still is. About 10 days ago he agreed to wire the money to me instead. As you can imagine, the bank can’t seem to figure out how to wire the money out even though I gave him wiring instructions and claims he has been down to the bank a few times to figure it out. Now he has gone silent to me and I’m out the money. If anyone can help me get in contact with him I would appreciate it. I am sure there is just a misunderstanding. He has been a well-respected racer for years. I have started legal action to bring this matter to a conclusion. Brent Walbrun 920-850-1257 call or text.

Contact Art Kampen

Comment

Always a bummer to see/read that racers are ripping off others in racing. That is not to say it's ok, if they are a non racer, but one of your own... It's like ripping off family. Which I guess people do.
      "Ask anyone, I have no friends. I do have some people that put up with me and mostly because they like the rest of my family"

Don Allen

Comment

I don’t like to see this kind of thing either.
        sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

pay the man, Keith

Comment

bump to the top

Comment

• joejohn44
              joejohn44 commented
              Editing a comment
              hahaha that is funny!!!

Originally posted by Big Don View Post
            Always a bummer to see/read that racers are ripping off others in racing. That is not to say it's ok, if they are a non racer, but one of your own... It's like ripping off family. Which I guess people do.
            This is a very true statement " like being ripped off by family". I made and sold a few parts and most of the time I just sent then before getting the money. I think the only time I got took was by a person on this board who post quite a bit (I won't name names). I made him a rope pulley and sent it, he said he never got it. So I made another and sent it and waited for my money it never came. He always had an excuse this was years back but i never forgot it kind of like family.

Larry McAfee

Comment

• RLR
              RLR commented
              Editing a comment
              Art and I argue politics, **** liberal, lol, but have only known him as a stand up guy and this has to be extremely painful to him. Thanks for your post Art

Good points. People who sell equipment on HR should describe/represent it as accurately as possible. And also be sure to note if it's not APBA, NBRA or USTS legal.

Shouldn't need to be said, but they should actually own it before attempting to sell it. And it should never be stolen goods!
            Last edited by pav225; 04-29-2018, 09:13 AM.

Comment

This is Art Kampen, Keith`s father. After 50 + years of boat racing I have never bought or sold anything that was not paid for or delivered, What has happened with Keith is beyond my belief. All I can tell you he has serious financial problems. He has refused to share with me what they are. But I have my suspicions. At this point if I could Repay Brent I would. But at this time I am in so deep financially with this I cannot do it. I hope everyone will understand that I am doing my best. And in no way do I condone what he has done. Posting this is toughest thing I ever had to do. I am leaving my phone # if you need to rant at me. 314-741-0563

Comment

• Big Don
                Big Don commented
                Editing a comment
                Art, I'm sure it was hard to post this. Thanks for at least responding and hope all turns out for the best.

• 25xs
                25xs commented
                Editing a comment
                If this engine is gone from Keith's hands, then this issue gets worse... If Keith HAS the engine, and the only issue is getting it to Brent in Neenah, Wisconsin, then how about we all chip in and offer some transportation options for Keith to make this deal happen. I have hauled boats & engines all around the Southeast and from Iowa to Florida for people I don't know and this might help out a boat racer in need. Where does Keith live and where is the Tohatsu?

• mdaspit
                mdaspit commented
                Editing a comment
                Being an ex NBRA guy, I'll donate a Hun-Buck to help a brother out.

I am not an attorney but if you mailed the check through the US postal service; does this constitute mail fraud? That would be pretty serious.

Bob Smiley 68R

Comment

Since this is a racing engine it should not be hard to trace. This is a small community and a limited market for a race engine. It will have to show up someplace and then action can be taken. This engine was sold and now it is considered stolen property. Who ever has this engine could be in for trouble.

Comment

• dil/viller
                  dil/viller commented
                  Editing a comment
                  good point Bob. Also, the receiver of the motor should be stepping up and helping to resolve this issue. Keith know's who this is. this has to be hard / difficult for Art and it's not his problem. the boy need's a good old fashioned spankin [ probably more ].

Good news. I was able to buy the motor from the guy that actually owned it. He is a great guy and had nothing to do with the missing funds.
                Bad news is I paid for this motor again and am waiting for Keith to return my money. Keith has partially paid me back but the remaining funds have not arrived with several broken promises. I drove 1000 miles this weekend to his house and business to settle this matter but only ended up at the local police dept to file a complaint. I hope this gets resolved and doesn't need to go any farther but I will, if need be.

Comment

• HRTV
                  HRTV commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I would say at this point the damage has been done and you have probably shamed Keith enough now in the public eye. What if any good will come from the updates to the public on this? I am not condoning whatever wrong turn took place with this transaction. I just don't see what good will come from this public hanging. Clearly, the guy is struggling in life at this moment so with that said I'm just not a big fan of the town square hanging.

This is between you and Keith and I honestly don't see the need for the entire racing community to watch this unfold. To each his own, I would handle the rest of this offline. Just my two cents, no one has to agree.
                  Last edited by HRTV; 05-07-2018, 07:13 PM.

• ajennings4p
                  ajennings4p commented
                  Editing a comment
                  There would be no good that comes from it. If anything it is to let other's know be watch who you deal with. However I would agree with handleling the rest of this off line with HRTV.

Iam sad to hear this happen to anyone, however being in retail. this happens on the daily it is the most common thing today when purchasing online.

Truly sad to hear something like this......I have never knowingly screwed somebody...but I do know of a few people that have not delivered on motors or boats after being paid. This kind of thing gets around, and it makes us ALL look bad. We are a big family, and you deserved to be treated better then this Brent.

Comment

Mdaspit, great to see you commenting here. I miss you at the races. if you ever wanna, I can always put a ride together for you. also you gave me an idea...it is obvious Keith has a problem on his hands. We are not close, but I respect him as a racer as well as a business man. These things have a way of snowballing out of control. I would like to see if there is any interest in a "go fund me" program to get Brent paid back and help Keith out of a jam. I will happily pledge 100 to get this started. anybody?

Comment

• mdaspit
                    mdaspit commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Ok, Joe John. I'm in for 100.
                    But...time is of the essence here.
                    If the criminal complaint goes forward,
                    Given the $ amount, it could be a felony.
                    So, if folks want to help out, they need to do so, NOW!

• mdaspit
                    mdaspit commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Joe John- there doesn't seem to be any spark here.
                    I'm out...

I sell Powermist fuels and oils. Mostly in person at races. over 10 years and have had some who i think just forget to pay before race weekend is over Also a few have never paid my loss but social Media is no place for this to be aired. Take your lumps and shut up. Be wiser next time.

Comment

Working...
                  X