Stock 302 Engine Build Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stock 302 Engine Build Question

Power head to tower gasket shows signs of an exhaust leak but the block and the tower do not. If this was your motor would you clean it up and put it back together as is or would you do anything else to address this before reassembly?
    Last edited by Dennis Crews; 03-25-2018, 08:13 PM.
    "In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress". -- John Adams

Tuner Pipe.jpg Check if the top of the tuner pipe is flat with the top of the tower using a straight edge. If not, remove the three nuts holding the tuner pipe, lift the pipe out, and add shim washers to level off the tuner pipe. You can buy shim washers or cut open a beer or soda can, use a paper hole punch to make a hole and then scissors to cut out washers (think they will be about .015 thick). An exhaust leak around the tuner pipe can cause loss of power.
    Last edited by Shane_B; 03-26-2018, 06:20 AM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Checked it this morning before heading to work. Looks like I will be making some shims this evening. Thanks for the response Shane.
      "In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress". -- John Adams

Comment

Shane does know what he is talking about.
        sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

While you have the pipe out, clean it too.

Tim
          Last edited by Tim Weber; 03-28-2018, 01:46 PM.
          Tim Weber

Comment

Worked on cleaning the pipe last night but haven't figured out yet how to get to the inner most part. Going by the hardware store to look for a wire brush that may work.

Comment

Leave the pipe alone! Dirtier, with more carbon build-up, the better.

Also, you'll need to deck your exhaust manifold and change that gasket too.
              http://vitalire.com/

Comment

Hmmm....looks like we have differing opinions on cleaning the pipe...from two folks who know far more about this stuff than I will ever know.

Comment

Working...
                X