Helmet certifications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helmet certifications

Searching for a Scorpion R410 and finding they are no longer made has lead me down another rabbit hole in search of a reasonably priced Snell certified model.

Some of the higher end (and expensive) helmets are now touting FIA standards (specifically FIA 8860-2010 and FIA 8860-2015). After reading about these standards it's clear these surpass the requirements mandated by Snell. The FIA standards came about as a result of head restraint systems and then expounded on all requirements for helmet safety. As it currently stands, FIA 8860-2015 is the most stringent test standard in the world today.

So, although it is not specifically stated in the APBA Accepted Helmets as of 2016, would FIA 8860-2010 and FIA 8860-2015 rated helmets be acceptable for use?

Dane Lance
    700-P
    CSH/500Mod

Without Painting a Helmet, these 3 i can't think of off the top of my head which are available in Yellow as Snell helmets.
    Bell Sport Series, Shoei RF-1200, Arai Vector-2
    I would think the FIA Standard wouldn't be legal as it is not published in the book.
    ----
    Graham18ce
    Team Canada ThunderCat
    Facebook - www.facebook.com\fralickracing
    Twitter @FralickRacing
    Instagram @FralickRacing

Comment

Dane, when I was in the market for a helmet I told myself that if I'm going to buy a helmet I don't want to buy a cheap one that might break if I were to be hit by another boat or become brain dead. the better I can protect myself the lower the risk I have to have a lifelong head injury. I went with simpson, the super bandit is around 600. as the saying goes.... you get what you pay for. they have a payment system that you can do so that you don't have to pay the full price right away too, good luck with your search!
      Ryan Brewster 57-S

Comment

• Ram4x4
        Ram4x4 commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, that's the thing, if the helmet meets a required standard, it meets a required standard if it costs $200 or $600. I hear you though, but this isn't a helmet for me, it's for someone else with a limited budget. I would love to get a Simpson Bandit (had one of the original model 50's back in the days of my motorcycles and loved it), but the Scorpion I have will do for now.

• ryanbrew57s
        ryanbrew57s commented
        Editing a comment
        That's understandable, the cheapest option would be for them to buy a used helmet from another racer. I love my bandit and cant imagine owning anything else. I will be a repeat customer that's for sure

look into 2018 APBA General Safety Rule 3.A. will answer your question

Comment

Well, there we go, the general rules state: "Helmets shall meet minimum rating specifications (SNELL 2005,SFI, FIA or newer) ..."

But, the "Helmets Approved List" is from 2016 and states"

1. Unrestrained drivers:

SNELL 2000, 2005, 2010, 2015 SA, M, K

SPECIAL NOTE: SNELL 2000 until 01NOV2016

SFI 24.1 2005, 2010, 2015

Head / Neck Restraint System use recommended"

No mention of FIA in the helmet document at all, which is what I based my question on.
        Dane Lance
        700-P
        CSH/500Mod

Comment

Would this work?

For Sale on eBay - Bell Full Face Helmet - Size Large - International Orange

[COLOR=#6A6A6A !important]03-11-2018, 01:20 PM[/COLOR]

I am selling my personal Bell helmet on eBay to the highest bidder. Ebay item #222876944814.

Click the link below:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bell-Sport-...d/222876944814

Auction ends Saturday night, March 17th.

Bid high and bid often!

@@@@@@@@@@@@

Mark Ritchie
          72@E
          Former Boat Racer
          21st Century: CSH, CSR, and "J Dad" x2
          20th Century: ASH, ASR, BSR, 25SSH, 25SSR

@@@@@@@@@@@@

Kegs

Comment

Need a medium, not a large.
            Dane Lance
            700-P
            CSH/500Mod

Comment

Have a look at HJC FG-17 Thrust . It is under $200, Snell 2015 and a fibreglass shell not poly.
              It has a pin lok anti fog included and I love the fit.

Comment

They must sell them in different colors up there. Can't find a solid yellow or orange one down here anywhere.
                Dane Lance
                700-P
                CSH/500Mod

Comment

Dane Check out Fralick boats site , they sell AFX helmets that have a Snell 2000 cert and come in high vis yellow or orange for $125 .

Comment

• Andrew 4CE
                    Andrew 4CE commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I believe they were sold out a long time ago... Dad is slow (like molasses slow) to update the site, a phone call or email is always best. Snell 2000 is long gone, the newer ones are gone too I believe. I don't think he sells race helmets anymore because they are hard to find for reasonable price. Still sells motorcycle helmets along with raceboat hardware, accessories, and boat building supplies.
                    Last edited by Andrew 4CE; 03-16-2018, 07:12 AM.

The HJC helmets are fibreglass and can be spray painted if they are out of the solid red ones. They are of USA origin. Mine was purchased last year and was dated Snell 2015.
                  Last edited by ottawamercguy; 03-16-2018, 06:50 AM.

Comment

I have had really good luck with STG (sportbiketrackgear.com). They have many of the top brands, reviews, and often closeouts at good prices. There is a nice Snell 2015 Shoei Qwest for $280. https://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/s...-solid-helmet/

​We may also have a medium Scorpion bright yellow R710 helmet that my son has outgrown. The liner is removable and can be washed or removed to dry out.

Comment

• Ram4x4
                      Ram4x4 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      What would you want for that R710?

when buying a helmet ask yourself ,'do i have a $600 head or a &100 head'.

frank novotny
                    52-E

Comment

• Ram4x4
                      Ram4x4 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Wellll, that depends on who you ask. I've been told I have a $10 head with $1000 dreams....

But, this isn't a helmet for me. My daughter needs one and she's on a limited budget. I've already bought her a hull and a life jacket. Helmet, sleeves and pants are on her.

• M Miner
                      M Miner commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I don't think more money means more protection. Lighter more comfortable possible . 2015 Snell is what it is.
                  Working...
                  X