Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charles Strang

So sorry to hear of his passing at age 97
    Stock outboard & boat racing in general would not be what it is today without his genius
    A true legend...Godspeed Mr. Strang
    George Bressler
    522-P

Condolences to his family and friends. Just saw him at the APBA Annual Meeting. Yes, a true genius and boat racing would not be the same without his expertise.
    sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Never met him but read a lot about, I would have loved to have a one on one talking about his career , RIP Mr. Strang

Some life info here:
      http://www.quincylooperracing.us/subpage84.html
      "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
      No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

Sorry to hear of the passing of Charles Strang.

I was lucky enough to have have a nice and lengthy conversion with Charlie
        recently where I found out many things that I had never known before.

And I got to personally thank him for reinstating my father as a Mercury outboard dealer after Carl, in a rage of anger, canceled my farther due to a magazine article in the early 60's praising my father,
        O. F. Christner, as the man behind putting the power into Mercury outboards.

Charlie was a master mind behind the great success of Carl Kiekhaefer, the marine industry wizard, and as he told me in that last conversation, he (Charlie) kept Carl from going off the tracks many times in their
        association at Mercury Outboard in those days gone by where they were both together at Mercury.

Talking to Charlie was not like talking to the average 96 year old person. To me it was like talking to someone at most, in their early 80s, and during our conversion I complemented Charlie on that fact.

Good bye Charlie, you will be missed by many that had the privilege of knowing your great
        engineering talents and love of boat racing, and for many too that knew, the glue back then that kept Carl Kiekhaefer the great historic marine contributor he was, thanks to your unusual calmness under fire!

Regards,

Paul A Christner
        Last edited by Original Looper 1; 03-17-2018, 08:44 AM.

Comment

It can be said the growth of Stock Outboard racing is associated with Charlie Strang and his early years with Carl Kiekhaefer at Mercury Outboards and his final time at OMC before retiring from the outboard industry, but not APBA. His contributions to APBA is endless. A boat racer, engineer, manager, elevated to the highest posts in both APBA, UIM and the industry as Chairman of the Board and President of OMC; and yet I could call him by his first name in any situation we unconquered each other. One of the most down to earth fellows I ever meet.

Comment

Working...
          X