102 in 20 ssh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 102 in 20 ssh

Will a restricted 102 do well with the props that ran on 80 unrestricted? Second question, 20 ssh rig with 80, running in bsh. With new rules will it do fair or can't run with sidewinder? I think I got this all correct. Lol

You'll definitely need the right prop. I ran my 102 restricted in 20 with the same prop I run in CSH and it was a total dog. Last place every time and almost got lapped. Also will have to richen it up 3-4 turns. You'll really feel it bog in the turns as the fuel sloshes to outside of the restrictor plate.
    Dane Lance
    700-P
    CSH/500Mod

Comment

• Dennis Crews
      Dennis Crews commented
      Editing a comment
      Great info. Do you richen it 3-4 turns or 3-4 clicks?

• Ram4x4
      Ram4x4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Clicks, sorry, not turns. 3-4 clicks.

I put Becky in my CSH (102 engine), went about 3-4 clicks richer, ran the prop I ran in CSH and she was flying. Started 4 or 5 seconds (intentionally) late, moved from 6th to 2nd and was chasing down Matt D until she spun it out on his roller in the turn, even then finished 3rd

It can be done with the correct combo of boat/motor/prop/driver.....

We leaned it back down, pulled the restrictor, dropped the height then Matt and I went head to head in CSH later that day
    444-B now 4-F
    Avatar photo credit - F. Pierce Williams

Comment

• Matt Dagostino
      Matt Dagostino commented
      Editing a comment
      Val D'Agostino has tested several times with our Yamato 102 in 20ssh race trim at the full 1/2 inch class height below the bottom of the boat ..............the speeds were actually a tad faster on top end over our Yamato 80 but the punch was down a bit. Our Yamato 80- Yamato 102 and Yamato 302 props are all basically interchangeable nowadays. We find that a Yamato 102-302 carb runs well at about 1 1/4 turn open and with the restrictor 1 3/8th does the trick! Oh, and don't forget to drill open the water inlet for 2018 and KEEP COOL.

As far as the BSH with the Yamato 80 a legal rig for 2018 it will be fun to see how it competes against the Sidewinder. The SORC's goal is to increase boat count in BSH with the adding of the Yamato 80 guys and gals looking for a second class to get seat time and have fun! My guess is having raced both is that on a small course the Yamato 80 will be tough to beat but on a longer course the Sidewinder will have the advantage. The SORC (including me) will keep a close eye on this and be tracking the new changes in 2018.
      Last edited by Matt Dagostino; 02-25-2018, 08:36 PM.

• deeougee
      deeougee commented
      Editing a comment
      I concur with everything that Matt has said. Last year TORC included the Y80 in BSH. Over here we run the class a bit different, 1/2 down and 400 lbs. The Y80 could out corner the SW 20 and the SW 20 would pull the Y80 down the chute. It will be very interesting to watch. Good info for guys running restricted 102’s, lot of guys struggle with them in 20. I personally prefer the Y80, pulls much harder than a 300 series motor and allows you to run an extra inch of pitch. Most true 80 props don’t work well on most C engines because of the gear ratio difference. Only testing will give you the real answer though. Good Luck, happy racing.

Thanks for the comments guys

Comment

Given the choice, I'd run the 80 over a restricted 102. They seem to be a lot more forgiving/easier to find the right prop. Plus the acceleration will be better and much less messing w the carb.

If you're up for a lot of testing (which is always a good thing) try the 102, but I think you will be better off with an 80.

Comment

Working...
      X