Total boat vs west systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Total boat vs west systems

How does Total boat epoxy stack up to West System epoxy ?

Good reviews on amazon

Comment

I've used both and prefer the west, seems a bit more forgiving with weather changes. Don't misunderstand me total boat is a good product also. I'm just a picky old guy.

Comment

Basically epoxy is epoxy the difference is in the pot life and supplies that are part of the system , back in the day we use to use saw dust as a filler to thicken it. there are still a lot of boats being used that were done this way. I think that which ever system your comfortable with is the best to use.

Comment

I never heard of Total Boat but have used West and System 3. System 3 is my choice for its smooth flow with sealing and finishing coats.

Comment

I have used several brands, including Total Boat from Jamestown Distributing, They all work. I use Total Boat because I am (take your pick): a cheapskate. Cost conscious. Thrifty. It is a 5:1 mix ratio same as West, but costs less.

Comment

We use both...Only difference is cost.
              sigpicWayne DiGiacomo

Comment

West is less expensive if you buy it direct from them in group C sizes.

Comment

All epoxies do a good job if used as designed just different mix ratios and chemistry. I have tried a bunch of them thru the years, just have to know how they behave, but mix proper and well required with all.

Regardless of what epoxy you choose be aware of the mix ratio. West is 5:1 (5 parts resin 1 part hardener) and has press pumpers to get accurate provided they are working right. With West the small amount of hardener to resin volume you need to be accurate, very little +/- tolerance (more hardener is not better) especially for small batches. West has a variety of hardeners for different conditions. West does cost more than most others if that matters?

http://www.westsystem.com.au/west_sy..._and_hardeners

Total Boat is also 5:1epoxy same mix accuracy needed, slow and fast hardener available.

I like 1:1 epoxy, easy KISS to mix with marked cup, never had a glue line failure for me wood always failed first.

I always do a small test batch to check cure even if new or especially if been on the shelf awhile, resin has a longer shelf life than the hardener You sure do not want gooey epoxy that does not cure.
                  "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
                  No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

• johnsonm50
                    johnsonm50 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The 105 hardener will discolor [reddish] in time but still work well. I think the ratio accuracy requirement is within 8%. I've used alot of West & some System 3. For structural work I like West better because it is thicker, with System 3 I was double coating parts, once to let it absorb, then again just before assembly to be sure of the highest possible contact between parts, especially on wood end grain. Both worked well.

• ZUL8TR
                    ZUL8TR commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I use fumated silica (cabosil) as a thickener for joints that need it. I brush on un-thickened epoxy to get into the wood then do the thickened and clamp.

I resealed my hydro with West last year and probably added 10lbs to it . How can this be ?

Comment

Originally posted by hoosier View Post
                    I resealed my hydro with West last year and probably added 10lbs to it . How can this be ?
                    What prep was done to reseal? Did you remove much old material before reseal?. How much epoxy actually was used? Probably added more epoxy that what material was removed. One gallon of West weighs 9.6 lbs and at 5:1 mix 1/5 of a gallon hardener weighs 1.7 gal.
                    "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
                    No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

Speaking of coating with epoxy....do you apply it as mixed, or do you thin it out with something?
                      Dane Lance
                      700-P
                      CSH/500Mod

Comment

• ZUL8TR
                        ZUL8TR commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I do it as mixed, thinning with chemicals like acetone, lacquer thinner, will reduce strength and moisture resistance.

Here is a discussion:

http://www.seqair.com/skunkworks/Glu.../Thinning.html

• Ram4x4
                        Ram4x4 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Good read. Seems warming the wood is the best way to go. Coating isn't concerned with joint strength, but the loss of water resistance makes adding chemical solvents a no go.

Heat works very well for thinning, so does a few drops of denatured alcohol.

Comment

If you use West System resin with 207 hardener, it is noticeably thinner and flows out much better. It is also very clear. It does take longer to harden but it sands much easier and won't clog sandpaper. It is a 3-1 ratio rather than the typical 5-1 but the proper pump for that is included when you order their pump kit.

Comment

Originally posted by Team B&H View Post
                          If you use West System resin with 207 hardener, it is noticeably thinner and flows out much better. It is also very clear. It does take longer to harden but it sands much easier and won't clog sandpaper. It is a 3-1 ratio rather than the typical 5-1 but the proper pump for that is included when you order their pump kit.
                          I find the 107 mix to hold up well under paint or UV protective varnish. It is nice to work with too, I've had good results putting it on under a canopy then rolling the boat out in the sun a bit later.

Team Tower

Comment

Working...
                          X