No announcement yet.

New Class Fireball 125cc MOD Engine Review and Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kart associations have noise rules. One of them I found says 95 db , 90 degrees at 100 feet.

Comment

Originally posted by mercguy View Post
      Wayne, this is what will be written in the rule book (Jeff will work on it this month):
      the powerhead must remain stock. No carb or internal mods allowed. MUST run the pipe and elbow as they come from the factory. The powerhead can be mounted on any tower in any orientation as long as the stock header and pipe are used. Any lower unit can be run with a limit to 11:17 gears (I clarified that in an above post) . 350 lbs for hydro and runabout.

​the engine we (APBA) will be using is a motor packaged specifically by PRD (and being imported)...........it will be a "marine version", that is NOT available from the cart shops YET (maybe in the future, depending on demand and the importer's plan). For now, they must be purchased from Davids Motorsports...........I am going to work with the importer to make them available on the West Coast hopefully also, but Jerry will have 20 of them in a month or so (as stated above), so all purchases are required to go through him.

​BUY BUY BUY!!! Call Jerry and get on the list, as I know many have already been purchased from racers...........

for all..............your region Mod Commissioner/s can provide any and all information needed................
      What is the difference between the marine engine and the kart engine?

Does this mean that the kart engines some of us have bought are not legal?

Comment

• bmitch1
        bmitch1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Out of curiosity.... PRD makes 5 different specifications of the Fireball for kart racing around the world. How did you know which spec would be appropriate for purchase under the new class if rules were just being finalized by the commission?

It's not often that I get on here but I wanted to set some minds at ease. First of all, any racer can buy a PRD fireball engine where ever they like. The PRD project needed a jump start and one of the first orders of business was to get motors. Davids Motorsports has 9 left out of the first 20. The difference between the kart motors and the marine version is the hardware that comes with it. The kart engine has a radiator, hoses, water pump, and clutch assembly. The engines we are buying are stripped down from the factory to keep the cost down. The motors MUST have a "US' stamped on the block. If anyone chooses to buy one from ebay, kart shop,ect.,beware. There are some that have been modified a bit and may not meet APBA specs. Howard Pickerel has been building motors also. Please keep in mind that the PRD committee is not making one single dime off of this. We are doing it for the love of the sport and to simply get engines in your hands. ......More to come.

Comment

• matthias
        matthias commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you. That’s all I need to hear.

Originally posted by modhydro View Post
      Work is progressing on the design for a cast tower for the classes. (Lets remember that there are runabouts also!)

It is for 10" transoms, will accept any pro foot that we know of and not need adapter plates. I am working on the pipe mount and steering bar provisions now.

I hope to be onto the patterns by midweek.....

Cool.... A universal tower / mid section. ‘Powerhead’ racing is our future. There are lots of powerheads out there for other classes.

Let us know your progress.
      sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

One of the first 125 mod hydro boats coming out of the jig after the National Meeting....courtesy of Jasen Dircksen at Clearwater Customs.

Call Joyce and get your motor ordered!!

Comment

Originally posted by bmitch1 View Post
          One of the first 125 mod hydro boats coming out of the jig after the National Meeting....courtesy of Jasen Dircksen at Clearwater Customs.

Call Joyce and get your motor ordered!!
          Awesome brian

Where are you planning on running this season?

Comment

• bmitch1
            bmitch1 commented
            Editing a comment
            We are in region 6...but also travel to 3/4...sometimes 7, just depends on what the family wants to do. Very anxious to give this a ride...

Just in time for Jesup !!!!! The 20 Fireball engines have arrived and are ready to ship to all who purchased them. They are prepped with water fittings, wiring harness, battery and instruction manual. We will be shipping them out this week. There are 9 engines left for sale and we will be ordering another 10 in the next week of so. The fireball program is moving along very smooth and without too many problems. I do however want to apologize for the lack of updates. We have tried to get out testing a couple of times with little cooperation from mother nature. Steve Roskowski and Cliff Johnson are working on a sweet mid section specifically for the fireball engine. Steve is also working on a throttle bracket that will fit directly on the carb. Jeff Williams has the spec sheet done and a copy will be with your instruction manual as well as in the 2018 ABPA Mod inspection manual. Howard Pickrell has been busy prepping and selling motors as well. PLEASE take the time to read the break in procedure. It is very important that you take your time breaking these motors in. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. Stay tuned................

Comment

Is the 125cc mod class replacing any other mod class? Or any class at being removed?

Comment

Originally posted by ricochet112 View Post
              Is the 125cc mod class replacing any other mod class? Or any class at being removed?
              Mike,

I am relatively sure that no other class was replaced or removed from the Mod Division.
              sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

I would like to see 200mod drop the age to 12 years old and 125mod be 14 years.

Comment

• bmitch1
                  bmitch1 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Is this the Boat Racing Drinking Age thread again?

The good advice I have been given and subsequently shared: If you have a rule proposal, submit to your commissioner ahead of the national meeting for consideration.

The foundry should have my first towers poured either today or tomorrow (that being said, I've been expecting them for 2 weeks now....) I will jump on the machining and the goal is to have one complete at Jesup so everyone there can see one in person. I will post photos here as well. Just so everyone knows, this tower won't require any adapter plates for top or bottom. It will be complete with the steering bars, thrust socket, driveshaft, and pipe support. All you will need is the powerhead and foot.

I also have a throttle bracket mocked up and am waiting on my waterjet guy to get me a sample so I can start the "production" run of those. Stay tuned for updates and photos as the parts become available to make this an easy project.

Steve Roskowski

Comment

• guedo499
                  guedo499 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The tower height is ____, which is compared to ____ ?

Sign me up for one. JP

Originally posted by modhydro View Post
                The foundry should have my first towers poured either today or tomorrow (that being said, I've been expecting them for 2 weeks now....) I will jump on the machining and the goal is to have one complete at Jesup so everyone there can see one in person. I will post photos here as well. Just so everyone knows, this tower won't require any adapter plates for top or bottom. It will be complete with the steering bars, thrust socket, driveshaft, and pipe support. All you will need is the powerhead and foot.

I also have a throttle bracket mocked up and am waiting on my waterjet guy to get me a sample so I can start the "production" run of those. Stay tuned for updates and photos as the parts become available to make this an easy project.

Steve Roskowski
                Very cool.
                sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

They are for a 10" transom which will have the propshaft center at .7" deep dead level. Here is a screenshot

Comment

• guedo499
                    guedo499 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks for the info.

Merc clamps and yamato clamps - are they interchangeable? I know the clamps themselves are different, but is the swivel bracket similar enough? Question comes from the fact that I have Tomato stuff and only xs Merc stuff.

Thanks again, John.

It will come with center section, clamps and all. My goal with this is to provide everything needed so new people or even current racers for that matter don't need to scrounge up this part or that. It has a new casting for the center section, but uses the Merc forged clamps. Once I have everything priced out, I will have a discount for anyone who can provide me with the clamps that I need for subsequent tower assemblies.

Comment

• guedo499
                    guedo499 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    AWESOME!

When you get close, give me a call; we'll put together a physical and digital flyer to hand out to people who are interested.

Just heard, my fireball is shipping in the AM.

Getting closer on the tower. Here are two castings that came out pretty nice. We are going to do some work on gating and adding a riser to see about making them even better. These will let me get the machining fixtures made and have one ready to show at Jessup. Thing are starting to come together quick. Now that we have our engine, I can get the pipe bracket dialed in and made now also.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                  X