New Class Fireball 125cc MOD Engine Review and Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Class Fireball 125cc MOD Engine Review and Update

Thank You to all the attendees at the 2018 APBA Annual Meeting. We hope you took the opportunity to view the three 125cc MOD engines that were on display.

For those who do not know this is a new MOD class for both hydro and runabout. This class will be eligible for all points, records, HOC etc.

Twenty powerhead kits which include pipe, battery and wiring harness will be available late February or early March on a first come first serve basis for the price of $1,800 (that includes shipping). You can purchase your powerhead kit in advance by credit card, check or money order by contacting Joyce Golley at (H)757-224-5553 or (C)757-273-4763.

Additional testing by the 125cc committee compiled with previous data will be made available to the public when completed.

Stay Tuned!!!

That is great, personally I think the lower unit needs to be a 11:17 any manufacture, the midsection would be to the owners choice, anything goes and the pipe should be another area where there is freedom to modify or make any changes the owner wants. This will give each racer an area to express him or herself and allow for modification. Thanks again for opening up what could be the future of boat racing.

Comment

We need to be thoughtful about allowed modifications to the muffler on this motor. In addition to tuning it also allows this kart motor to meet certain noise limits...and may allow access to water that we could not otherwise race with louder pipes. Just keep it in mind...

Comment

Another thought is that right now anyone can purchase the powerhead with pipe and be fairly equal. While it is a class in Modified, I don't see the need to make it into one that would instantly create barriers to entry. Leave it simple as a way to get people into the sport and division. If they want to start messing with pipes and further modifications, we already have plenty of classes for that.

If we have good fields of boats running at 60mph in good competition is that less of a race than at 65mph?

Lets get them on the water and run them first before we start looking at ways to make it harder to get started in it......

Kudos to all who put the work in to bring this to reality. There has been a LOT of work behind the scenes to make it happen. It is great to see where this came from and is heading.

Steve

Comment

From what I heard at our club meeting last night the powerhead must remain stock. No carb or internal mods allowed. Must run the pipe and elbow as they come from the factory. The powerhead can be mounted on any tower in any orientation as long as the stock header and pipe are used. Any lower unit can be run as long as it has 11:17 gears. 350 lbs for hydro and runabout. Should be a fun class!

Comment

Total noob here but love this new class.

Thinking like someone new to the sport and want to try this class.

Can I get a list of manufacturers/suppliers that offer compatible mid housings and lower units. What about hulls?

Suppose I want to spend my lunch break today ordering everything in hopes I can start assembling a boat in 30 days. Is it even realistic everything necessary is on the shelf somewhere?

Not used components and hulls. New only. Dealer with an internet store preferred.

What is the target driver weight for this class? Can a 6' tall man 200lbs run competitive in it?

Just some questions from an outsider.

Rob

Comment

• Matt Dagostino
              Matt Dagostino commented
              Editing a comment
              Rob.............from what i gathered at the National Meeting the MOD Commission will offer COMPLETE engines ready to race for around $3600. It appears the OMC stock tower would be a good choice as it will fit most hulls that are out there in the field...have fun. Feel free to contact your local MOD Commissioner for more info.

Any pics of the powerheads what do you run the motor on a hydro or a run about

Comment

Pictures are on other thread and Daren Goehring has multiple pictures on his FB page. Motor is for both Hydro and Runabout
              sigpicWayne DiGiacomo

Comment

How much does it weigh?

Comment

• bmitch1
                  bmitch1 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I lifted the OMC version at the national meeting.... it felt on par or maybe a little lighter than our SW15. maybe 58-60lbs? It was pointed out the center of gravity will move back a little because that muffler is heavier than the typical slider pipes...

Affordable cost ,simple rules ,level playing field, hands off the motor ,

New design motor !

No money crowd monopoly from the start !

Fun and safer speeds with lots of fierce competition !

Build your own competitive boat !

WOW the future of affordable boat racing looks the best here to me !

BRAVO APBA BRAVO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am already dreaming about this new fun class !

WILL HAVE FUN FUN FUN TILL OUR DADDY TAKES OUR MOD 125 AWAY !

Regards ,
                Paul
                Last edited by Original Looper 1; 01-31-2018, 10:38 AM.

Comment

We will have a bunch of the pieces for this new class. Currently we have:

- NEW 11:17 gearboxes available for $950+shipping.
                  - NEW Mychron 5's and Mychron 5 2T's available with custom length extension wires to fit your boat at a boat racer friendly price.

Working on all the other necessary parts as we speak.

Email Todd @ Andersonboatracing@gmail.com for more info.

Comment

I have 3 of the omc tower / clamp set ups used $ 50.00 each- very common part for mid 80 'S

Comment

Originally posted by Adams52R View Post
                    From what I heard at our club meeting last night the powerhead must remain stock. No carb or internal mods allowed. Must run the pipe and elbow as they come from the factory. The powerhead can be mounted on any tower in any orientation as long as the stock header and pipe are used. Any lower unit can be run as long as it has 11:17 gears. 350 lbs for hydro and runabout. Should be a fun class!
                    ​that is correct...............the limit for the gearcase ratio is 11/17.............you can run other ratios (14/14, 14/19, 12/15, etc) but nothing taller (like 11/18, 11/19, etc).............11/17 is the one to run with props that are available.............min age is 14 also.................

​the basis of the class is to keep it simple, available and affordable...........

​the adaptors for the OMC tower are also available from Jerry Davids, who has a few, when those run out, you can get them Mr. Pickerall............but you are free to use or build any tower you would like for the motor......................

​full specs will be released soon.............
                    Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DiGia54D View Post
                      Pictures are on other thread and Daren Goehring has multiple pictures on his FB page. Motor is for both Hydro and Runabout
                      I have a ton of pictures of the motor, but the files are too big to post here..............
                      Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

Way neat package, I got a look at the internals and it is built like a tank.

Pressed crank, solid rods, coated pistons etc

The pipe is heavy but well built. It’s probably a good thing to keep the existing set up for now

Tim
                        Tim Weber

Comment

Working...
                        X