Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PIPE for 3 HOLER

Has anyone tried or had success with a pipe on a 3 Hole OMC ? My late father started on a project a few years ago , but we never finished the manifold end.. I'd be entertained to continue with it if anyone thinks its worth a try. I vaguely remember reading that John Runne tried something on a FEH back in the day ?
    Last edited by Hunter 93-N; 01-08-2018, 11:58 AM.

Re: PIPE for 3 HOLER

Hunter, the 3-cylinder 2-cycle engine presents a unique opportunity for exhaust tuning quite compactly because the exhaust pulse from one cylinder helps scavenge the exhaust (and also the intake) from another cylinder. I don't understand this well, but I know it works because of the 120 rotational timing of the firing impulses among the cylinders. The 3-cylinder Crescent outboards from Sweden use tuned megs in their driveshaft housings, and 3-cylinder Saab two-cycle car engines of the 1960s did as well. I think your dad was wasting his time with that exhaust chamber. You'd need such a tuned chamber for each cylinder to work, and that would be far too unwieldy on your boat.

​Better you do some internet research on your exhaust situation: find out what Johnrude did on Stingers, for example. I'm sure that someone on this forum can better advise you. -- dave

Comment

When Crescents were the fast C engine, people tried megapones and chambers on them. The factory setup was better. I like the story that the Crescent was designed with a pencil and a papkin while drinking beer.

Comment

• dwhitford
        dwhitford commented
        Editing a comment
        What's a ''papkin'', John?

• rumleyfips
        rumleyfips commented
        Editing a comment
        It's either a paper napkin or a typo Dave.

• dwhitford
        dwhitford commented
        Editing a comment
        Typo, John. That's what I thought. You're excused this time, but maybe you should proof- read what you send out what the world will see later . :<))

Hunter, Lopez on the west coast that had a crap load of records in FE ( had a post last year trying to sell everything )had sold a 3 holer with tunes pipes to Kevin Fitzgerald. I do know there is a couple of sets of those pipes kicking around. Maybe shoot Kevin an email...he may know who has some.
      Last edited by DiGia54D; 01-09-2018, 08:58 AM.
      sigpicWayne DiGiacomo

Comment

Hunter: Have tried chambers on 850 MOD 3 cylinder engines many times. Have tried both 3 into 1 and 3 individual pipes. Both designs work though the 3 into 1 works best should you desire to pull the pipe. Looper engines really perform best with expansion chambers.
        john sharp 8H

Comment

Wayne you are correct that's Mike Lopez. Now in Texas. Hunter get a hold of Steve Benson in Wash area. He built the snail pipe exhaust that Lopez had. It was Steve that did that years,ago prior to selling to Mike.

Comment

Gun I have 3 sets of Benson pipes for the OMC, if interested let me know

Comment

i cleaned Lopez out. I have 2 sets of chambers and plan to run them this year. have not yet tested....stay tuned

Comment

Hey Gun. If that is the pipe Jaws made, it is for a two cylinder.

Comment

• Hunter 93-N
                  Hunter 93-N commented
                  Editing a comment
                  yes, thats the one.. Thanks. !
              Working...
              X