No announcement yet.

125cc Mod Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NEWS FLASH!!! The APBA Board of Directors has approved 2 new Modified classes for this motor - 125ccMod Hydro and 125ccMod Runabout. The approved rules for this class state that both a hydro or runabout has to have a combined weight 350 lbs. minimum. The development team expects to have a working model to show at the APBA National meeting in Chicago. It is our intent to have complete motors available for purchase from the MORC. We plan to have the classes on the water this spring.

Jeff Williams
    Modified Tech Chairman and Modified Commissioner

Jeff
    5-P

Comment

• Matt Dagostino
      Matt Dagostino commented
      Editing a comment
      Jeff........who are the members of the 'Development Team'. This is a great project!

If you want good numbers for this new class use the keep it simple approach. No mods to the power head . Let people run it on any gearbox,gear ratio, clamp ,. midsection that they can put to gather as long as it is safe.

Comment

• David Weaver
      David Weaver commented
      Editing a comment
      So, a new class for modified that is not to allow .....modifications.....maybe just a couple? Probably best to restrict changes at first, but the class should be true to its category.

• M Miner
      M Miner commented
      Editing a comment
      What can you change on a 302 in 500 mod class beside the pipe? You have to run a302 gear case 14/15 gears you cant change the ports.

Originally posted by Jeff5P View Post
    NEWS FLASH!!! The APBA Board of Directors has approved 2 new Modified classes for this motor - 125ccMod Hydro and 125ccMod Runabout. The approved rules for this class state that both a hydro or runabout has to have a combined weight 350 lbs. minimum. The development team expects to have a working model to show at the APBA National meeting in Chicago. It is our intent to have complete motors available for purchase from the MORC. We plan to have the classes on the water this spring.

Jeff Williams
    Modified Tech Chairman and Modified Commissioner

Very cool..... Congratulations to the Mod Commission.

Question: Will any Mid Section and Gear Case be legal?
    sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

• GrandpaRacer
      GrandpaRacer commented
      Editing a comment
      I heard they probably will spec a certain gear ratio, maybe a foot.

With what I’ve read/heard about this class(es), by 2021 this could be the largest class in APBA surpassing participation in CSH.

Soon after, this will be the engine of choice for the J classes. This will allow the J Commission to slow down the J classes, leave AX alone, have inexpensive, readily available motors with a possible claiming rule.

I’m in.
    http://vitalire.com/

Comment

• Dr. Thunder
      Dr. Thunder commented
      Editing a comment
      I like this as a possibility. How fast do they run on a cart?

I have a few NEW 11:17 VRP Gearboxes for $950 plus shipping to help get this class going.

Email Andersonboatracing@gmail.com

Todd Anderson

Comment

This may be the biggest boon to outboard racing since the KG-4 and 20H
      Untethered from reality!

Comment

Who will step up and design and build the 125 mod boats ... Dewey?
        Untethered from reality!

Comment

Mr. Pavlick?
          Untethered from reality!

Comment

• pav225
            pav225 commented
            Editing a comment
            I think that's very possible. Looking forward to checking it out in Chicago.

Mike Pavlick, give me a call today.Tom 863-665-5449.

Comment

Reasonable weights,so 200 hundred pounders can compete, affordable new engine costs, gasoline only. No exotic and costly technology, tight rules. No sliding pipes or exhaust water injection.

I am hearing 53 mph Runabout, 59 mph Hydro, which translates to plenty of competition and entertainment value for new spectators that we need badly, nationally, on a short racing course. That equals good and stable national sponsors, which equals sustainable cost and affordability for common working participants that we need badly to come into boat racing now.

Go big as a national class for publicity and a great future!

Bravo, bravo, APBA MOD Division! You have Insight and common sense and may have finally hit the jackpot of solutions!

Please keep the boats wooden and affordable for the little paycheck to paycheck working guy and gal and I predict this class will really really be big!

Regards,
            Paul

PS: There are thousands of good, used and extremely affordable 2 blade racing props in the market place. Is there any way APBA could keep this limited to 2 blade only propellers to really seal the deal on affordability?
            Last edited by Original Looper 1; 01-04-2018, 11:43 AM.

Comment

• Hydro doc
              Hydro doc commented
              Editing a comment
              Weight is a factor, in this small engine

I even wonder about three blades rather than two. With most PRO guys running more blades now, there should be plenty of them hanging on walls as well. I'm afraid that two blades are getting so old that there may be even less of them out there.

Whatever the final outcome, keeping it simple and not messed with too much is what will help build it up quickly and keep it more affordable.

Steve

Comment

With a restrictor plate it could possibly fit right in in the K-Pro class. I would be inclined to built one, along with building a boat, for that reason alone.

Comment

Once the commission gets all their I's dotted and their T's crossed I will more than likely try to design a 125 mod boat,sounds like speeds low to mid 70's so got some ideas anyway. Stay tuned!!

Comment

Think you might know where the first orders will come from 😁😎
                  Untethered from reality!

Comment

Steve the reason for 2 blade props is not only cost but a huge supply of two blades I am finding out there in my search for
                    Antique outboard racing engines, plus with two blades I think it would be a lot safer for new racers because they would not jack up the motor as high as a three blade so it would be more self policing also.

We need new people that are Paycheck to paycheck to come aboard in order to have a good and cost sustainable future for boat racing !

Regards,
                    Paul

Comment

Working...
                    X