Construction adhesive for boat building

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Construction adhesive for boat building

Some of the new types of construction adhesive seem like they may work well for decking and similar joints in boat building - gap filling properties and open work time = no mixing or waste -and easy to use calk type tubes - anyone using these products ?

I'm pretty sure the wood boat builders use 3M's 5200 series of products on mahogany bottom planking... It's more of a bedding compound and I "think" it's used so the planks can be replaced in the future.

Comment

• jp183w
      jp183w commented
      Editing a comment
      Of the 3M products 5200 is a permanent bond. Something else will fail when you try to take a part 2 items that 5200 was used. The one that will come a part later is 4200. We use Elastomeric more than either of them. When it comes to wood I still have not found anything better than epoxy.

Originally posted by Fastjack View Post
    Some of the new types of construction adhesive seem like they may work well for decking and similar joints in boat building - gap filling properties and open work time = no mixing or waste -and easy to use calk type tubes - anyone using these products ?
    As mentioned above, the 3 M 5200 is a good adhesive but not as permanent as a 2 part epoxy adhesive as the West System or System Three.

For really good permanent adhesion and gap filling use the 2 part epoxy plus a gap filling agent like cabosil or what is called wood flower which is wood dust and is the same color as the okume plywood. Another gap filling agent is what is called micro balloons.

You can call 3M, West System or System Three technical assistance and get lots of information. That’s what I do.
    sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

• Fastjack
      Fastjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Having been in the boat trade for 23 years, and a hobby for 30 years additional I have used most of the mentioned 3M and west products/ just wonder if one of the waterproof construction products would make quick work of decking on a typical 3 mill on frame construction .

I would say that one of the most important things is to coat the entire underside of the plywood deck with a 2 part epoxy to waterproof it so it does not absorb water. So that is why I always use epoxy for the deck... with gap filler on the joints.
    sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

[QUOTE=Fastjack;n460634] Some of the new types of construction adhesive seem like they may work well for decking and similar joints in boat building - gap filling properties and open work time = no mixing or waste -and easy to use calk type tubes - anyone using these products

​are you thinking of something like "liquid nails"?

​FYI: I think 5200 would work great, but probably more expensive in the long run, compared to epoxy......LOL!! Plus, ****, you would never get the boat back apart for future repairs........
      Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

• raw
        raw commented
        Editing a comment
        West has a prethickened product that comes in caulking tube that mixes the hardener in the tip it works great for filling gaps and making fillets and it does not take forever to harden

I put a transom in with 5200. Since I didnt get it to fit perfect, i filled those spaces with the tube material. We've run the boat 2 years and its still solid. It was at my Lowes store, so easy to buy.

Comment

Picked up West Six- 10 - perfect for decking- thickened 105 and hardener in a tube that mixes in the replaceable tip. - seems like less waste and no miss mixed batches - Thanks raw.

Comment

Originally posted by Fastjack View Post
          Picked up West Six- 10 - perfect for decking- thickened 105 and hardener in a tube that mixes in the replaceable tip. - seems like less waste and no miss mixed batches - Thanks raw.
          I didn’t know about this West product....... Thanks for the tip, I’ll use it on the next boat.
          sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Working...
          X