No announcement yet.

The importance of the good SOUNDS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When the 750 mods run, people standing in line at the concession stands drop their hot dogs and come running to the shore line!

Comment

Merry Christmas, y'all. Make some seasonally-appropriate noises.

Comment

Originally posted by john527 View Post
        When the 750 mods run, people standing in line at the concession stands drop their hot dogs and come running to the shore line!
        ​This is true, 750 MOD is last true MOD class once all MOD classes had open pipes . There is no class in boat racing that sounds anywhere as good as them.

Comment

Been running C-D-E Mod Merc`s for the last 50+ years, the sound is still music to my ears.

Comment

Well, the sound of any open pipe engine can be very good or very bad depending on how the ignition is working; an ignition miss in the old megaphone motors was cringe-worthy, an embarrassing advertisement far and wide that the owner hadn't got the thing tuned yet. I went back to the NOA Nationals in 1968, a year when the Quincy Loopers were still a pretty new thing, and I think nearly all of them at that race still had ordinary battery-and-points ignition, . . . and it seemed that nearly all of them were "popping corn." That was NOT a good sound to have to hear over a four day weekend!! Thanks be, electronic ignitions were coming on to the market at the time, and were soon adopted widely which helped enormously in reducing plug-fouling in the alky motors.

Since the gasoline-fueled Stockers light off easier, and don't foul plugs regularly even with ordinary magnetos, the 20H's of the day always sounded good . . . which is why I offered the idea of possibly having one modern Stock class that makes that old-school low-rpm SOUND.
            Last edited by Smitty; 12-22-2017, 11:28 AM.

Comment

More noise the better...thats racing! and on that note...people come to races to see action, not a J boat trying to get on plane because the parent has the motor jacked to the sky so than we have to stop the heat and start over again and again!! BORING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Approximately a year and a half ago, I just happened to be standing next to a friend of mine who did this video... and actually I put in quite a LOT of laps on this same exact circuit; with the exception of getting towed in occasionally, by "Hoctor" and Marv Evans.... yes I'm OLD School !
                enjoy the show ! --- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScgArOJLp8E

Comment

• runabout333
                  runabout333 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Perfectly tuned!!! YES!!! Thanks.

Originally posted by Super Splinter View Post
                Approximately a year and a half ago, I just happened to be standing next to a friend of mine who did this video... and actually I put in quite a LOT of laps on this same exact circuit; with the exception of getting towed in occasionally, by "Hoctor" and Marv Evans.... yes I'm OLD School !
                enjoy the show ! --- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScgArOJLp8E
                I'm lucky.. Chris likes to come watch & take vid. She thinks they sound awesome but -doesn't want a ride.. I don't make her lift boats, drag carts or carry motors either lol. RPM's.. I guess the 7g neighborhood is low generally as some tools spin up 30,000 & more... not always music tho.

Team Tower

Comment

Nothing beats a 6 cyl. Quincy!!! Got to witness one putting a demo in Wisc. years ago.

Comment

[QUOTE=modsquad;n460879]More noise the better...thats racing! and on that note...people come to races to see action, not a J boat trying to get on plane because the parent has the motor jacked to the sky so than we have to stop the heat and start over again and again!! BORING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That does happen, then despite J drivers being told at drivers meetings to go around & come back in right away if it happens there's sometimes the 1 or 2 that missed the memo & goes waaay down course. During a J heat while on patrol duty we had 3 boats in tow, busy as heck keeping order we got complained about by a J driver for not being prompt enough for them with the white flag. The radio man let them know what was what over that lol. All that tho I don't call a complaint, just the way it can go. J should be treated as it's meant to be- a learners class. Boats should be set up to go, not be on edge so much that they might not. It really won't help if someone else's boat is good to go, competitive & driven well. In retrospect I wish I had started in J, racing with some who did.. it seems make a difference.

Team Tower

Comment

Well Mike I'm glad to see your thoughts on the J class. I have seen many start there years ago that are tough to beat now. It does take them time to get on plane but to me no big deal. Yes,I have been race director, and announcer plus morelIke everyone. The anouncer just needs to let folks know what there doing another words explain why there having issues. Ok now to noise. I have read all the replies with with pipes, and I drove FER, DMR and yeah those 2 pointed pickle fork ones too. But watching 2 guys in a mod boat back when 2 person mod runabout was popular was something. Now add 1100r with merc 6'S and Quincys with those KonigS that still gets my attention even when your following them with a konig. Add mountains around the course and nothing better. But many know what pipes have done to some races. Now just need to add my pipes to the wheel chair and I'm good

Comment

Originally posted by 1100-one
                        . But many know what pipes have done to some races.
                        That's why mixing quiet classes with the loud ones at a race is a good thing. I wouldn't suggest more than one class (one hydro, one runabout) of Stocks make noise, which was the way of it was in the old days. And if there was an all-Stock race where the locals didn't want SOUND, the loud boats would just have to stay home, too bad.
                        Last edited by Smitty; 12-24-2017, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Sound is fine. some of you think its totaly cool to have a d mod hydro with pipes, maybe 5 of them, at the races making the noise you guys want. however, to keep race sites, we need to look at home much noise we make and how it affects people at those sites. sorry....its the truth.

Comment

• modsquad
                            modsquad commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Its the noise the spectators want, just like in sprint car races and firework shows!

• mercguy
                            mercguy commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Dave, it is not 'noise'....its the sound of a 'real' race motor.....we dont lose race sites because of the 'noise'......the home owners around certain lakes dont care, they just dont want us there period.....

Angle Lake loves the 'noise'

I like this website-
                          http://boatsport.org/
                          ​it's great for the "un-informed" , it's quite comprehensive in nature, and offers for Free, ALL of Hal Kelly's boat plans as well as Harry Brinkman's booklet on Speed Secrets for Vintage Mercury outboards.
                          ​* Note- The webmaster is associated with Rick Fales' Powermist Racing Fuel- Newton, NJ

Comment

Working...
                          X