Universal Gearcase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Universal Gearcase

Is is feasible to design a universal gearcase that could be used for all engines ... all classes? If not, why not? I'm assuming that a universal gearcase would be a one design unit that could be shaped to fit the different class engine performance requirements and allow for insertion of multiple gear ratios ... just wondering!
    Untethered from reality!

Of course it is possible, I don't think anyone would agree on a design.

Comment

"All engines...... all classes?" too may variables and opinions
      "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
      No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

• Dr. Thunder
        Dr. Thunder commented
        Editing a comment
        Thinking primarily the A, B, J, and pro classes. Yamato classes appear to have the gearcase availability issue solved.
        Last edited by Dr. Thunder; 11-25-2017, 07:41 AM.

What is wrong with the Sidewinder/HotRod lower unit for all J, AX, A and B classes and Yamato stock or pro units for larger classes? The biggest variable will always be the prop.
      Last edited by PopPop; 11-25-2017, 01:41 PM.
      !"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Comment

• dwhitford
        dwhitford commented
        Editing a comment
        While the Hot Rod-Sidewinder gearcase is fine for it's intended, relatively low-horsepower, engines, can it reliably stand up under a Tohatsu, just to name one? I'd think a universal gearcase would need to be something like a Rossi, Konny, or PRO Yamato unit to be reliable under all of today's possible horsepower and torque.

Exactly my point ... Thanks dw
      Untethered from reality!

Comment

• dwhitford
        dwhitford commented
        Editing a comment
        I forgot to mention -- and should've probably mentioned -- the Bass and the SST45 gearcases, probably also the Speedmaster and Super Speedmaster units too.
        Last edited by dwhitford; 11-25-2017, 05:55 PM.

Originally posted by M Miner View Post
      Of course it is possible, I don't think anyone would agree on a design.
      This would be for sure the situation. Even Rossi has two sizes, depending on horsepower.

So if you had only one, it would be larger than it would need to be for the lower horsepower classes.
      Last edited by DeanFHobart; 11-26-2017, 02:24 AM.
      sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

The Hotrod / Sidewinder gear-case is based on the Konig. (I watched a Konig unit get boxed up and addressed to Dave Little...) Todays PRO 125/250 unit would work just fine under J, AX, 15, 25 and B class motors. They builds 12:15, 11:15, 11:16 and 11:17 gear ratios for them. The 500/700 unit would work under the "D" motors. (The 750 and 850 MOD guys are already using them)

Rossi, Konny and VRP build gear box's that are available "off the shelf". With the OMC "A", Hot Rod, Mercury 25 and D gear boxes out of production, it just makes sense to allow other gearboxes to put boats on the race course.

Comment

• ram95
          ram95 commented
          Editing a comment
          Mike, help me here. Tell me about the Konny. Where is it made? How much are they? Will they work/stay together under a 49 & 56 cu in E-Rude triple? Where does a person buy one?

• DiGia54D
          DiGia54D commented
          Editing a comment
          Alex, Mike Thirlby sells the lower units

A few years ago (decades ago) the pro foot was voted down for the stock yamato engines and we got stuck with the POS hatchet foot that comes with stock yamato engines. Could have killed 2 birds with one stone here, eliminated cooling issues and improved handling immensely. I still don't know why they don't allow any foot in Mod either. Could have allowed more gear ratios also.

Comment

So, what is keeping SORC, Mod and J/AX committees from approving the Pro units as a semi-universal gearcase as deeougee suggested? Seems like this would solve a lot of motor availability issues.
          Untethered from reality!

Comment

• mercguy
            mercguy commented
            Editing a comment
            Those gearcases are already approved in Mod and used heavily, so whats the issue?

Originally posted by Dr. Thunder View Post
          So, what is keeping SORC, Mod and J/AX committees from approving the Pro units as a semi-universal gearcase as deeougee suggested? Seems like this would solve a lot of motor availability issues.
          Reluctant to change and keeping the status quoe........ Whatever.
          sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

The issue is that you can not purchase a Merc J engine (from APBA) or a Sidewinder because of the unavailability of gearcases. So, it just seems as though a universal gearcase that could be produced in sufficient quantities would open the door to new boats and racers. Who wants to wait over a year for new engines because our small production manufacturers can't cost effectively set up for small production runs.
            Untethered from reality!

Comment

• mercguy
              mercguy commented
              Editing a comment
              Then the problem is with the Sidewinder LLC group and the classes that run their gearcases. Also, the Konny, Komato gearcases do not have water pump impellers (force fed) and that wouldnt work so great for the J classes, especially on the harder to plane boats with the new kids.....there would be more burned up engines....you would also have to reconfigure the cooling water inlet to the powerhead from the gearcases.....KIDS NEED WATER PUMPS!

Question......how many of you have gearcases on order from Sidewinder???

The Konny small engine foot with 11/15 gears has a ratio of .733 while the Sidewinder, OMC and Merc 15 foot is 14/19 with a ratio of .736. It would seem those two could be interchanged with nearly identical performance.
            John Adams

Comment

How much is the Konny foot and how reliable is it?
              Last edited by ram95; 11-26-2017, 05:58 PM.

Comment

• Dr. Thunder
                Dr. Thunder commented
                Editing a comment
                In response to Darens question ... I know of ten new engines in Region 10 that have a delayed delivery because gearcases not readily available.

Originally posted by ram95 View Post
              How much is the Konny foot and how reliable is it?
              Very reliable Alex....the biggest drawback is it has a smaller prop shaft and 3/16 sheer pin hole which wont work under a 3 holer, but 11/16 shafts with 1/4 pin holes are available, we just need to find someone to machine and install them, since Benson retired. They are not as tough as a Bass unit, but handle better...and a little cheaper as they come, but would be the same price once the prop shaft is swapped out....
              Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

• GrandpaRacer
                GrandpaRacer commented
                Editing a comment
                Daren, your comments are regarding making them suitable for a three cylinder engine I think. The 3/16 pin would be fine for A engines. Right?

My comment was a response to Alex....
              Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X