Power Structure and Organizational Identity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Structure and Organizational Identity

As we hash out yet again the ins and outs of class matters. I think we need to figure out why we can never get anything done. I believe that in large part this is due to the bottom to top flow of power within APBA. By this I mean that, basically, the masses are usually split on big change. Therefore the commissioners are hesitant to make and hard decisions. The BOD offers no leadership, vision or direction. They cowtow to the ever changing whims of the commission. And this even goes beyond, where APBA refuses to align itself at all with UIM. Leading us to a state where Americans have virtually no presence on the worldwide outboard racing stage. A fact that I find embarrassing and I think should hit all of our pride a bit. And to where racing in America is disorganized and scattered and largely a cult sport.

As we stagnate in the quagmire of internal disintegration, maybe it is time to ask our leadership to take the reigns a bit. I am not suggesting that we upturn the way we do things. Checks in the process are important but so is a balance in power. I think that APBA's higher leadership needs a vision for the organization as a whole and to identify the role of each category within the organization. They then need to as the commissioners to do the same for the classes within the categories. By looking at simple things like speed, weight, age range, availability of equipment, and other factors it becomes easy to see where we have overlap. (For instance: BMH, 25MH, CMH, DSH, 125CCH AND 175CCH all run in the 75-85 range.) With vision and guidance from the top it will be easier for the commissions to come together to make universally beneficial change. ALL OUTBOARDERS MUST STICK TOGETHER!!!!!!! Our unified success relies on our having a universally appealing product. Personally, I think we could shave our entire Stock/Mod/J/PRO spectrum to under 2 dozen classes without sending anyone's equipment down the pike. But that kind of change is impossible unless we change the way we change.
    Ryan Runne
    9-H
    Wacusee Speedboats
    ryan.runne.4@gmail.com

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"--Albert Einstein

These days, I find it easier to look up to my youngers than my elders.

Ryan, could I have permission to republish this at HydroRacer Live. The article will be attributed to you as the source and writer and will show up on all three of my Platforms, Facebook, Twitter and our Race Day Live Platform. Let's get a few more eyes on this.

Thanks

Dan
    HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

Comment

• ryan_4z
      ryan_4z commented
      Editing a comment
      Absolutely, Dan. Thank you.

Right on the money - clear direction from the BOD and stop bad decisions that are not aligned with that direction from categories.

We need to all stay in the boat.

Comment

The fundamental challenges of APBA are no different from the 100's of associations all over the world. As a board member of one of the most highly regarded associations (www.apics.org), we started with many of the same structural challenges as in APBA and evolved into a very successful organization on all metrics. Yes, this does begin with structure. The current structure of most organizations are based on a model that worked well in the past, but becomes a constraint in moving forward. Our organization should strongly consider joining ASAE The Center for Association Leadership (www.asaecenter.org) which provides exactly the kind of resources to help in determining the best structure and how to transition. These comments are not meant to imply that the hard work and great people we have in the many roles running APBA aren't doing an excellent job, rather, our structure could be changed to help move if forward for the next 100 years.

Comment

• Dr. Thunder
        Dr. Thunder commented
        Editing a comment
        I've forgotten and too lazy to do my own homework but can someone remind me of the APBA organizational structure ... tax-exempt or for profit? If for profit why and if not why?

• Dr. Thunder
        Dr. Thunder commented
        Editing a comment
        ASAE used to be the American Society of Association Executives ... is that the same as the ASAE you are talking about?

I have always said organizations, no matter the type, need a benign dictator who has a vision, is able to express it clearly to a small BOD, and to help its membership move forward. When you look at the structure of certain organizations, you will find a large board of directors, a leader within a division, and then a board of commissioners. How much power does the BOD have over the organization,how much power does the leader of a division have, and how much over all power does the board have over all divisions? Have organizations become top heavy with people with some power, but no exercise of it, or limited, or is it that they really have no power except to move the chairs around on a famous long gone big ship because of the overall board?

Comment

• bill van steenwyk
        bill van steenwyk commented
        Editing a comment
        Truer and more intelligent words were never spoken Ray. Too bad they won't be listened too except by the categories that no longer belong to APBA.

Paul, We spoke about this at the Wilson race last month. I may now be in a position to help make this connection. Last season I chaired the new Promotional Committee for APBA. We got the ball rolling with our seminars at this years Annual Meeting and a lot of promotional training and guidance we never had before. This year while still working on the committee, I will be handing over leadership to Sherron Winer, and chair the APBA Steering Committee.

In the past, I'm not sure what the Steering committee did, but usually it is a behind the scenes type of operation. However, I see the need for the Steering Committee to create a vision for APBA to take into the future. Once this vision is outlined for the BOD to approve, we will begin to work on the details for the BOD to guide the commissions to achieve uniformity and sustainable growth.

I don't know how long this effort will take but nevertheless it is the direction I plan to go.

Comment

​John, as I offered before to you and Howie, I am happy to ask our organization's president (the leader that lead us to our current success) if he is willing to visit with our board and leadership. This is a priceless opportunity to gain insights from one of the best association leaders in the world (not just my opinion, but the consensus of many in association leadership roles). I am meeting with him at a board of directors meeting the weekend of Dec. 8th. I am happy to ask if requested.

Comment

• csh-2z
          csh-2z commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Paul. I'll get back to you. Do you think one of the weeknights (evenings) would work out? Also, would you be available to join us?
          Last edited by csh-2z; 11-28-2017, 11:42 PM.

• csh-2z
          csh-2z commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Paul. I'll get back to you. Would one of the weeknights (evenings) work out ,do you think?

• PittmanRacing
          PittmanRacing commented
          Editing a comment
          I can't speak for him and am happy to ask. He has a long record of successful organizational turn-arounds. I am not inferring anything negative about APBA. Just that it currently functions and is nearly identically structured like the professional association I belong to was 15 years ago. At the core of the association (like APBA) is its many passionate volunteers critical to our success. It is highly doubtful my professional association would still exist if it wasn't for the structural changes we made that benefited everyone. In fact, we have now absorbed 3 other related competitors who could not make it. The inertia to not change is much stronger than the need to do what is necessary to prosper going forward. It is not easy, but certainly worth the effort.

Originally posted by PittmanRacing View Post
        The fundamental challenges of APBA are no different from the 100's of associations all over the world. As a board member of one of the most highly regarded associations (www.apics.org), we started with many of the same structural challenges as in APBA and evolved into a very successful organization on all metrics. Yes, this does begin with structure. The current structure of most organizations are based on a model that worked well in the past, but becomes a constraint in moving forward. Our organization should strongly consider joining ASAE The Center for Association Leadership (www.asaecenter.org) which provides exactly the kind of resources to help in determining the best structure and how to transition. These comments are not meant to imply that the hard work and great people we have in the many roles running APBA aren't doing an excellent job, rather, our structure could be changed to help move if forward for the next 100 years.
        This organization is something APBA should look into and consider. Obviously we have some of the same concerns other organizations have... one of the most critical of course is shrinking membership.
        sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Speaking for the Steering Committee, I definitely want to hear from him in Chicago. There won't be time in the current day schedule to do this but if he could be there one evening or two, during the week, I'll make sure he has an audience. Wednesday and/or Thursday @ 7pm would be perfect.

Comment

I have an end of year board meeting at the end of next week in San Diego. I am happy to ask our president if he is available and would be willing to visit with the Steering Committee and/or board. I don't want to be embarrassed by him showing up and people not really interested in talking to him. He is highly sought to speak with groups around the world and his time is valuable. BTW, he is also a CPA and CFA with two other professional certifications, so he can discuss financial structures and models easily. I don't feel comfortable asking for anymore of his time but one evening or time during the day.

Comment

• Big Don
              Big Don commented
              Editing a comment
              I think many of us would like to hear what he has to say. Could be another session we all plan on attending.

We need to transition from where we are to a more proactive growing organization. I don't think getting the right people in the room will be a problem. There is a lot of enthusiasm among many on the BOD.

Comment

Working...
            X