Getting started racing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting started racing.

Just wondering where Racers come from? Boating background,family into racing,interest after seeing a race ,ect .Thanks

It's the oldest joke in the world ... to get more boat racers boat racers need to have more babies!
    Untethered from reality!

Comment

Back in the 80's I went with my family to the Seattle boat show. There was a booth with boats set up. Pictures, videos, equipment , cool stuff and people. We want more racers, go where people love boats.

Comment

Prior to last year I knew nothing about boats,motors or outboard racing. But I always thought they looked neat. By chance I found out about drivers school. I signed up and went at Kittanning last year and have been hooked ever since

Comment

I am a bit of an anomaly in that I am a first generation racer. An IOA guy saw some vintage racing outboards I had on display at an antique boat show and invited to come watch a race. My wife and I went and were treated very well by everyone we met. It looked fun, people I asked questions to were friendly and helpful with getting me started out with racing instead of spectating.

Then we did what was suggested above and created our own new racer in Kyle.

It has been a TON of fun along the way. We have met so many nice people over the past 22 years, made many new friends and travelled to places we never would have otherwise gone.

I think the thing to concentrate on is getting interested people to a driving school or testing with you so they can experience the ride and thrill. Make sure you can make the time to interact with them and build a relationship, even if it just for that day. You need to create that connection so they don't feel like an outsider, but a welcome part of our "family." That small sacrifice in your day could be the difference.....

I know that people have said that there are too many other things for people to do and it is just too hard to find new people. We just need to look harder for the right people. There are still gearheads out there that would love what we do.

Steve

Comment

Welcome to the Boat Racing Family.
            sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

This is probably too much information, but I'll share this link anyway about how and why I got started:

http://sorracing.yolasite.com/living-the-dream.php
              Tom Burwinkle
              11-K
              sorracing.yolasite.com/

Comment

• M Miner
                M Miner commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you for that. It was fun to read.

• fbref5269
                fbref5269 commented
                Editing a comment
                tom, my first boat was a mini max my dad and I built. had a 5 1/2 Johnson on the back. still have the engine. it was fun racing with you at Wilson in the aarp class(350 mod hydro) have a safe off season.

frank Novotny

52-

I still have my first motor too, a 1955 Johnson 5 1/2 hp. My first Hydro was my design which did not work so well in 1961. Then I built a Mechanics Illistrated model. Used this engine(my dad’s but mine now). Then a Champion Sweet Sixteen fishing motor.

Comment

• Smitty
                Smitty commented
                Editing a comment
                That's three of us that had a mid-'50s 5 1/2 Johnson as our first outboard ride. The sweetest trolling motor ever! Not much power to make a minimax type of boat interesting, but if it was all you had, AND if you knew enough to replace the factory's weedless fishing prop with a "speed" prop, it would give a young kid some fun times.

I was always around boats at the family cottage. My friend Harry Wilson and his Brother Ernie, were boat racers following in their fathers footsteps. They got me started. My first boat was basically a sand box, lol! Made from about one sheet of plywood, 8’ long with 2’ of deck, and 6” sides. Put a Merc Mark 25on it and went to a wild cat race and of course flipped it, but I was hooked!!

Comment

Originally posted by burl11 View Post
                This is probably too much information, but I'll share this link anyway about how and why I got started:http://sorracing.yolasite.com/living-the-dream.php
                Cool story... Welcome to the Boat Racing Family also.
                sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Have to say my love for boat racing started in 68. Went to watch my 1st race right in our home town of Lodi on the 4th of July for years. Been hooked ever since. Cleaned and washed KC Parsons boat along with others just to be in the pits. Didn't start racing until the 80'S though. Did that when my younger brother started. Had to see he was ok lol. Got my 1st 44 merc with a flat deck De Silva. Thought ok I want to go faster. Followed my idols Rich Fuchlin and KC Parsons amoung others and went right to 1100/500 runabout.Few bumps in the road running mod but that's a whole chapter. Quit in 2002 after 2 severe neck surguries but still behind all of you current racers.

Comment

• M Miner
                    M Miner commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Unfortunately I received A neck injury in Kentucky this year, I told my wife that this was going to be safer than competitive waterskiing .

So this is my story. I grew up in Winona MN on the Mississippi River. Our family all ways had boats for skiing fishing and hunting. I had the use of a Merc 9.8 at around 10 or 11years old.The Pro Nationals where held in town and that's when I first saw boat racing. I wanted to do this at some point , but was busy with skiing at the time. I got out of competition due to injury's. I located A driver's school in 2016 and hear I am.

Comment

• 1100-one
                    1100-one commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Glad you went to racing boats right lol. In any sport accidents happen. For me it ended all racing as I had 2 neck surguries within 10 months. Guys bought me an expansion chamber for the electric scooter. No scooter still wanting one last boat ride lol. Don't be surprised!!!!!

• GrandpaRacer
                    GrandpaRacer commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I grew up in Austin, MN and my Dad took me to races on Eastside lake at about 6 years old. I was hooked at 6 yrs old!

• M Miner
                    M Miner commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I seem to remember someone racing pro from Austin some time ago , when they held races on
                    Lake Winona.

Well its a Great Sport and One AWESOME FAMILY!!!!! Never met any boat racer yet not help another no matter what category. Had many stock, mod, OPC, assist me many times. Best one was a 5 liter driver watching me use a buzz box to check timing on a 44, and to see if the kill switch worked. He was just in aah. Great thread and glad many are chiming in

Comment

2nd Generation here. Growing up went to a few races...Then parents got divorced when i was really young so did not see anymore... Then when i was a Junior in High School (1985)I was coming down I-95 (late at night ) and my mom said look out the window...that's what your father raced.. So we followed the guy all the way to his house. ( JACK FLASH MITCHELL ) Yes Jack Flash who went AWOL while running the Merc Challenge races. So we talk outside and he said there was a race coming up in a few weeks in Mass. Needless to say within a month I was at Bill Giles house picking up my 1st boat
                    Last edited by DiGia54D; 11-08-2017, 12:51 PM.
                    sigpicWayne DiGiacomo

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaRacer View Post
                      I still have my first motor too, a 1955 Johnson 5 1/2 hp. My first Hydro was my design which did not work so well in 1961. Then I built a Mechanics Illistrated model. Used this engine(my dad’s but mine now). Then a Champion Sweet Sixteen fishing motor.
                      Seems like "the hook" for several of us in the older generation was our first ride in front of the family outboard. I still have Dad's outboard and still fire it up occasionally just for the memory of the old familiar sound.

GrandpaRacer, are you sitting in an Ercoupe?

Tom Burwinkle
                      11-K
                      sorracing.yolasite.com/

Comment

• M Miner
                        M Miner commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Every time I smell a 2 stroke outboard it takes me back to my childhood days.

• GrandpaRacer
                        GrandpaRacer commented
                        Editing a comment
                        This is an RV7 that I built, photo taken after first flight. I always told myself that I would stop flying when I reached the age of 70. It was hard to do but last year I sold my airplane. Now my sons have me very busy on boat racing stuff!
                        Last edited by GrandpaRacer; 11-11-2017, 10:20 PM.
                    Working...
                    X