Question of the day ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question of the day ...

When the OMC "ASH" engine was allowed to run in the Mod Category why was the class designated "Formula A" ?
    Untethered from reality!

To distinguish it from the A Mod classes

Comment

The OMC still is the only engine in the 200 class. Would have thought that the class would have gotten a big bump in participation after the Sidewinder took over the A Stock classes. But so far there are many collecting dust in the basements. Good class with decent fields in the Midwest.
      Brian 10s

Comment

• Matt Dagostino
        Matt Dagostino commented
        Editing a comment
        Why do you think more folks arn't crossing over and running Formula A??

To build a good Formula A, you need to start with a very good stock A. Unfortunately most of the A's and fishing engines of this vintage have experienced a lot of use over the years and are pretty worn out. To make one go fast takes a lot of machine work and hand work, and is typically not done for free. Once you get a good A engine, put the required parts in it, rebuild the gearcase with the worn out prop shaft and impeller, then pay for the labor to turn it into a formula; you have to buy props since your stock wheels probably won't work. $$$ I guess you could just run a stock engine but you probably won't be competitive in the big races...

Comment

Ed has forgotten more about OMC's (and all engines) building than I will ever know, so I'll take this as gospel. But I wonder how many "true maxed out" OMC's are out there? Best guess not many and how often are they on the water, 2 to 3 races a year? I would think at local races a "Stock" OMC rig would be more competitive in 200 and in A.
        I just see some very good 200 races just about every weekend and know that those drivers would like to see some more boats - as would every club. Shame to have so many rigs gathering dust instead of spray.
        Brian 10s

Comment

• Matt Dagostino
          Matt Dagostino commented
          Editing a comment
          Brian.........again, so why do you think very few ASH OMC folks arn't crossing over to Formula A.?? Maybe expense of blueprinting? Maybe a mind thing about now running Modified Category?

• Brian10s
          Brian10s commented
          Editing a comment
          Matt - wish I knew. It used to be that there where Stock Guys and Mod Guys and the 2 did not mix or mingle. But in todays world, 95% are just racers who want to get on the water, regardless of category. And the majority of the clubs run either semi combined or full combo schedule - so there is a ton of mixing going on every weekend. All I know is all the clubs either schedule it regularly or would if asked. I would think even MHRA could be talked into it since it no quieter than every other stock class out there, especially if they could get 6-12 more entries per day.

I doubt that blueprinting scarred anyone since every engine we race has been thinned within a inch of it's life already. Doesn't mater the class or age of engines, there is always something that needs done. And you could have just taken the Stock rig and ran it as is until you got the work done. It wasn't like you had to do anything to race the 200 - just entry fee.
          Last edited by Brian10s; 11-02-2017, 02:22 PM.

• bmitch1
          bmitch1 commented
          Editing a comment
          The SW has a lower transom height than the OMC which has a lower height than the Mercury. My guess is most folks with A/AX boats are not bothering to swap/adjust transoms to run multiple classes...but it is a great way to get some extra seat time during the race weekend with a single hull. AX and 200 wheels are similar with some testing to figure out what you need for the conditions and course setup.

We have both a stock OMC and a 200mod OMC - the stock motor pulls better off the corners but does not have the legs on the straightaway to keep up with our 200. However, with smart starts and good use of the inside lane the stock motors can compete with the modified ones. We took 3rd at Hinton in 200MR with a stock motor..and we ran it for the 200MH NAC this year because it was a short course (and it would have worked out ok if he hadn't jumped his first heat start....lol).

For the casual reader who may be interested - 200mod was a great way for us to start getting an additional class on our AX boat once the driver turned 14. I would not recommend 200mod for younger drivers (well covered in another thread here earlier this year). We did have to put some time into tracking down some OMC motors (which were initially purchased for their precious gearfoot).

Financially - the cost of a used OMC (with gearfoot) plus the conversion to 200mod specs was the least expensive motor we've had to prep (less than $2,000). I hope to see the class grow.

I have five 200s to build this winter. Worn out .030 over A's can be bored to .040 over, new life.

Comment

• DrRick34-0
          DrRick34-0 commented
          Editing a comment
          good point Steve and thanks for keeping people competitive in this class...
          Rick

Always thought that a Formula class meant that all specs were the same ... in outboard racing that would be identical boat design, engines, props etc ...
        Untethered from reality!

Comment

At a local race a good ASH can do well in formula A. Even at a nationals, you could probably make a respectable finish. When I was racing Formula A 54-56mph (not going to debate speeds here, that's what we would show on the GPS at our best) would put you out front or at least top 3 at a club race. Its a great class and if I weren't too heavy now I'd still be running it.

Comment

https://hydroracer.net/forums/forum/m...romance-hop-up

Comment

http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...-200-MOD-Motor

Comment

Working...
              X