YAMATO 321 ENHANCED DRILLING COOLING TEST......Tabor City, NC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YAMATO 321 ENHANCED DRILLING COOLING TEST......Tabor City, NC

In addition to our Drag Queen Powder Puff Competition there was some boat racing and Yamato 321 Cooling tests conducted at the recent Tabor City, NC Halloween Regatta.

The efforts continue to find a PERMANENT solution for the many who can not cool the Yamato 321 and other Yamato Models. Members of the Cooling Team recently experimented with ENHANCED DRILLING to attempt to create a better cooling path for water to enter the engine. The minor drilling passed at last years annual SORC meeting has shown to be ineffective for many Yamato owners and participants. Especially to new Yamato 321 owners.

Lee Sutter was generous enough to donate a new Yamato 321 tower for the cooling exercise. He and Kyle Lewis took the existing stock water hole in the snout and drilled around the front of it exposing the copper water pipe to a direct stream of propwash in lieu of the current side angle. The attached pics are worth a thousand words. The current hole has not been relocated just simply punched across the snout!

The test at Tabor City was done with Valerie D'Agostino-Kohlenstein in a 20ssh at 1/2" below the bottom and tucked in 5/16th with a real 321 from top to bottom. Yes it is not legal to run a Yamato 321 at 1/2" but for this exercise we wanted to go to a height that would be above and beyond the current rules for demonstration purposes. We were allowed to run the outfit in 500mh. The Referee and race Committee lead by John Runne allowed Val to go out and run a couple hot laps before releasing the other (10) 500mh's onto the race course.

The boat was a 2017 Hemp and the prop was one that does not cool well. Again we wanted to use worse case scenarios. Upon running the 2 hot laps in calm water in front of many SORC, MOD, PRO Commissioners and in the presence of the current APBA President and incoming President, the 20ssh outfit at 1/2" CHUGGED water out the exit hoses and cooled at 319 degrees during the 2 hot laps! During the race it ran in the back of the pack in rough water at 324 degrees and CHUGGED water!!

The test proved a complete success and was done without the need of any external water pick up tubes or devises. This proves when the propwash is allowed to see the cooling pipe directly it will force the water into the engine successfully and cool. The tower is being shipped back to Seattle for more fall 2017 testing but this simple drilling ENHANCEMENT works on a outfit that could not previously cool.

The cool team plans to continue working with members of the SORC this fall to fine tune this solution and to try to make sure the proposal is worded in a simple and uncomplicated manner for consideration by the SORC so that EVERYONE can stay cool in 2018.
    Last edited by Matt Dagostino; 10-30-2017, 12:55 PM.

It worked real well, no steaming, no sticking of pistons. The water was ROUGH and about 70 degrees. There were 10 mod hydros in the field that she was testing in too.

Tim

Tim Weber

Comment

Regardless of opinion - thanks for all the work committed by everyone to figure out a solution. Your efforts are appreciated. 12M

Comment

Thanks Matt &; Valerie and all the COOL TEAM. I saw, first hand the "Enhanced Drilling " and Val's demonstration. I am very pleased, the stock classes 20 and C has two PERMANENT SOLUTIONS, SORC can pick from, But its my opinion they should APROVE both the Cool Tool and the Enhanced Drilling and let the drivers and owners of all Yamato pick how they want to cool their engines.Great Job, "Cool Team".....William Anderson

Comment

On the assumption this new drilling method becomes the accepted solution, will all new 321s coming into the country go through a process to have this drilling done by the distributors prior to sale, or will this have to be handled by the new owner after purchase?
          Dane Lance
          700-P
          CSH/500Mod

Comment

• Shane_B
            Shane_B commented
            Editing a comment
            Probably not as part of basic engine price, but would assume it may be an optional service/cost available from the distributor (just like having mag locks installed, foot profiled, etc.are available as optional costs when purchasing "new" motor) or owner can do themselves...

Excellent work.

It would be nice to see this applied to all Yamato classes...even 300ssH. Some drivers say they get warm at 1 3/8" below the bottom, so it would be nice to keep them cool as well. It also allows a driver to swap head and gearcase and race a stock 300ssH motor in 20ssH or CSH/CSR.

Comment

• reed28n
            reed28n commented
            Editing a comment
            It would nice to have fewer classes that all run the same speed - and race more heats in fewer classes.

• Big Don
            Big Don commented
            Editing a comment
            Scott, what are you proposing we get rid of? Maybe we will agree and I can start pushing that agenda.

Thanks to Lee Sutter for the "slice that cools". I feel and I would encourage NBRA to adopt this if APBA does. We are not growing without new novice divers who have to worry about cooling. We do not check height so this keeps the motor at 1/2 inches. Maybe we will see some increase speed but not "Joe speed".

Comment

Originally posted by Tunnelman801 View Post
            Thanks Matt &; Valerie and all the COOL TEAM. I saw, first hand the "Enhanced Drilling " and Val's demonstration. I am very pleased, the stock classes 20 and C has two PERMANENT SOLUTIONS, SORC can pick from, But its my opinion they should APROVE both the Cool Tool and the Enhanced Drilling and let the drivers and owners of all Yamato pick how they want to cool their engines.Great Job, "Cool Team".....William Anderson
            I agree... do both... we just need to simply Cool the motors. And yes, great appreciation and thanks to the entire 'COOL TEAM'....

Way to go..... This looks really good... Let's get that water into the motor...Again this looks really good.
            sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Guys from the Cali desert need to stay cool.

Comment

So what's the thought process on this enhancement in regards to other motors like the 80, 102 and 302? Would it be allowed for other motors? Would there also be any measurements involved?

Comment

I think it is logical to drill all the Yamato engines for all classes. However, we only drilled and tested the 321 because it overheats the most. Ideas on specs are: 1) Original hole location and 2) Maximum hole size diamention of .310”. Oh, the copper water tube ID is 7mm which is .275”
                  Lee

Comment

A lot of effort - poor direction - you are all right - racing should be easy. We should seriously look at the number of testing hours a team is allowed and the amount of money racers can spend, or how about how many props you can own and while we are at it manadatory deign and vintage on boats. Hack up, bolt on, modify, machine, clearance, blue print, polish your "Stock" motor all you want - let's avoid all simple practical solutions like changing the height rule.

Comment

• csh12M
                      csh12M commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That is a great point - take it one step further and require CSH to use a sealed motor powerhead, with a profiled gearcase at 1 3/8 and with a tuckblimit and min. gearcase setback. We would be back to a class that is stock and would only require propeller testing. Mandate the change over in 2020 to give everyone a couple years to adjust.

• Wakefield 2015
                      Wakefield 2015 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Scott - How much lower does each engine type need to go in order to cool adequately under ALL circumstances? ie - water conditions, boat brand, type of prop, set up etc. Is that the goal? I'm going to have to vote on something come the end of January, please help educate me. Bill P.

Originally posted by pav225 View Post
                    ..even 300ssH. Some drivers say they get warm at 1 3/8" below the bottom,
                    Oooooooh Nooooo! "Some get warm?" C'mon Man ❤️

Comment

I have been very quiet, but figured since I am no longer running the 300 class, and the 321 is sitting on the shelf, here is a video from Tabor City Winter Nationals where I blew the start so ran around the course to get some test data. Notice the temp before calling it quits. This was 300. Never did reach 60 MPH. I have submitted MyChron data to Region 6 commissioners. Maybe I just have a hot motor, but the BS that it doesn't heat in 300? Anyone here like to run their motor at 390 at 54 MPH? (this was undrilled and with a stock head) Drilling and Shaved Head saw a lot better performance but temps in 410's before shutting it down at Big Rapids (no video as I was Race Director) I am staying out of this fight now and crawling back into my hole to prep for the 2018 season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byRCLoodAng
                      When it comes to boat racing and the wife, it's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is permission, and of course I spent a number of nights sleeping on the couch!

Comment

• GrandpaRacer
                        GrandpaRacer commented
                        Editing a comment
                        How did you sync the Mychron data and the video? The 360 video is cool.

• Matt Dagostino
                        Matt Dagostino commented
                        Editing a comment
                        John...........Mike Deck is amazing with electronics. The only guy i know who can 'live stream' a race better than ESPN.....Just Sayin.

I'm making a motion that we remove the word "Stock" from the Stock Outboard name and that we replace it with something else so we can move past the word some are hung up on. Kind of Stock Outboard? Slightly Stock Outboard? Not as Modified as Modified Outboard?
                      "Ask anyone, I have no friends. I do have some people that put up with me and mostly because they like the rest of my family"

Don Allen

Comment

• GrandpaRacer
                        GrandpaRacer commented
                        Editing a comment
                        "Spec Outboard"

• dwhitford
                        dwhitford commented
                        Editing a comment
                        How about ''Super Stock'' for Yamato classes and ''Stock'' for Sidewinder classes and perhaps some other classes?
                    Working...
                    X