Helmet restraint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helmet restraint

What are the thoughts on helmet restraint in boat racing. The reason I ask is my helmet came off in Flip. The strap was still connected.thanks

I am no expert, but I do think they work. I'm sure either or both Security or Lifeline has them... give them a call. I have seen guys with them.
    sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

The helmet straps on current crash helmets are negligently designed. Since crash helmets are intended to protect the head in case of contact with some object in a crash, the first thing in their design should be to insure the helmet stays in place to do its job. A single strap does not do that as you have found out. It may be convenient but will allow the helmet to rotate off.

Even though there are issues going on with football helmet design and protection, they are more securely fixed to the players head with 2 pair of straps connecting to a chin cup. Sometimes cross-pollination is a good thing and failure to see the benefits is inexcusable.

Comment

I have used the 4 point restraint for a couple of years. Security installed the tethers and hooks to the jacket, about $100. + shipping. Its attached to D rings on the helmet that are sent back with the jacket using a pop rivets. Very simple and safe.
        Last edited by adamallen; 10-16-2017, 06:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X