Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stock Outboard - Inboard Conversion Gone Wrong!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stock Outboard - Inboard Conversion Gone Wrong!

HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

The center of gravity is now too high for the width of boat... I think it would be dangerous.
    sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Crazy retro. Plus the size of that turn fin looks lile it came from a 7 liter hydro and will provide huge drag. As Ken Warby found out in his record run of 317+ the turn fin had to be cut shorter to lesson the drag and they determined those type fins are a rather large % of total drag.
      "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
      No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

• bill van steenwyk
        bill van steenwyk commented
        Editing a comment
        Unless you were being facetious, I don't really think that is a turn fin as such, but a rudder. Turn fins are usually mounted on the sponson on a hydro and are not movable which this one seems to be, except for Hydros used prior to the l960's

• ZUL8TR
        ZUL8TR commented
        Editing a comment
        Oops! You are correct, I know better and should have called it a rudder. It has a turn fin on the left sponson.

Somebody has spent a lot of time, money and effort on their project, and all you experts can do is to make fun at their work. As far as going 317 + mph I don't think this builder had that in mind with this project. Make fun of this project, at least they had an idea and built something. Good for him or her!

​This site should change it's name to HydroWhinner
      Last edited by KURPS; 10-02-2017, 07:22 PM.

Comment

• ZUL8TR
        ZUL8TR commented
        Editing a comment
        I just meant the 317 as an example that rudders have a lot of drag, not that he had that speed in mind even at the speeds this project will go. However, you are right, the thought and quality work put into this project was certainly inventive and a commendable project. 'Crazy' was defiantly too harsh but certainly different and unexpected. 'HydroWhinner', can't agree with that, maybe 'HydroCritiquer' ;-) Definitely would like to see it run.

I don't know why this is titled "gone wrong". in the 80's, Darrell Sorenson built several Pugh copies that ran as 1 liter stocks. I had one with a Toyota. very very fast boat. we left mine as a kneel down.

Comment

In the early 80's some 1 liter stock drivers in region 11 were trying to convert old F hydros to inboards, they looked like the above boat but where kneelers. Of course they didn't work. Baileys asked me to build one for them. I took the Pugh design, 14', made it wider, 5" of lift & 5" deep sponsons. Also we made the prop shaft as shallow as possible. Bailey's had an anodizing shop and did a beautiful job on the hardware. A total of 3 were built. Baileys, Steve Smith, Joe Schulte.

Comment

Darrell,

How did they run? Were they cabovers or conventional with the driver behind the motor?

Just curious.

Ed Karelsen did a similar thing with his F Hydro design in the early 60's... but the driver was forward of the motor driving it like an outboard on his knees and with a hand throttle. The Inboard class was 145 / 150 Mod.
          Last edited by DeanFHobart; 10-12-2017, 08:47 AM.
          sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

• CSR4C
            CSR4C commented
            Editing a comment
            Kneeler, hand throttle just like an outboard. motor behind the driver. The idea was to make an inboard that ran like an outboard. They ran real well. At Lake Merritt 1 mile record course one of then ran lap times faster than the 1 liter mod class. Motors at the time were 1200cc stock Toyota and Datsuns.
            I did build Baileys a 145 but after blowing it over backwards, they put a 45 captsule in it.

Cool Darrell.
          sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Those were fun boats to watch Darrell. Quite a few showed up. I can still see mom Bailey quite the lady

Comment

I'd want to see vid of it running. I'm sure in the idea phase those 'wrongs' were considered. As far as top heavy it would be hard to out-do the top heaviness of an outboard. The prop turning with the motor counter forcing the upper weight seems work pretty well tho. On an inboard with the prop thrust remaining straight, my question is does the rudder diverting that thrust cause the same counter action against top weight? If it can be said that it does then I wouldn't see a problem any more than turning a kneeler at speed.
              Team Tower

Comment

In the 70's, Allen and Stuart Ford ran a Jones F hydro with a Datsun 1200. won a TON of races and set several records. It was a sit down.

Comment

If anyone thinks this is radical, look up the DragonFly a 1 L or 1L Mod boat that won a boat load of races and the nationals back in the 70's.

Comment

Originally posted by deeougee View Post
                    If anyone thinks this is radical, look up the DragonFly a 1 L or 1L Mod boat that won a boat load of races and the nationals back in the 70's.
                    Steve Ball held several records with that boat. a 21' long 1 liter!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X